A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Stomach ache/bloated after eating pizza?  (Read 327 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Stomach ache/bloated after eating pizza?
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
During my last bake, one of my crusts was a little hard to chew...not terrible but noticeable. I let the next crust bake  for an extra minute and it was perfect.

Later that night, I had a minor stomach ache and my wife felt bloated. Was it the undercooked crust? Is there something else (perhaps underfermentation) that might have caused the problem? Or maybe we just ate too much pizza!
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Stomach ache/bloated after eating pizza?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
During my last bake, one of my crusts was a little hard to chew...not terrible but noticeable. I let the next crust bake  for an extra minute and it was perfect.

Later that night, I had a minor stomach ache and my wife felt bloated. Was it the undercooked crust? Is there something else (perhaps underfermentation) that might have caused the problem? Or maybe we just ate too much pizza!
quietdesperation,

This post and the links cited therein might help you to better understand the role of digestibility in pizza making.

Reply 856 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36842.msg370788#msg370788.

For a partial summary, see also Reply 41 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24485.msg249776;topicseen#msg249776.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
Do you have any history of celiac disease or lactose intolerance? Unless you had a LOT of undercooked dough my doubts are it was that. Have you had issues with any other foods, allergies, dairy in the past??
Also, what else topped the pie, off meat etc
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
I'm finding myself becoming a less tolerant of gluten as I get older. I've stopped eating all gluten other than pizza, and I've cut my pizza consumption way back. I was having problems for a long time before I figured out what was causing it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
thanks to all for the info.

- jackitup, I don't a history of celiac disease or lactose intolerance.
- Peter, thank you for those links. My conclusion is that my dough might have been immature. this was the first time I used frozen yeast, maybe that contributed to the problem. Or perhaps a combination of ldmp, a short rt ferment (5 hours) and frozen yeast.
- Craig, I'm truly sorry to hear that given your talent and investment in the craft. Reading through the links Peter provided led me to wonder if I might be better off with a longer, cf instead of short rt+ldmp. I re-read parts of your NY thread and noted your practice of using ldmp for everything but neo. I'm sure you've thought deeply about the cause of your discomfort but wonder if it might be related to short ferment+ldmp.

best,
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
No, I get bloated feeling and kind of run down whenever I eat anything with gluten.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
Oil and sugar in dough make me feel bloated. Without, no problems.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »
I'm finding myself becoming a less tolerant of gluten as I get older. I've stopped eating all gluten other than pizza, and I've cut my pizza consumption way back. I was having problems for a long time before I figured out what was causing it.
Any chance your symptoms started after an illness? There is some celiac disease in my wife's family. Found this ongoing research interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/04/08/523002516/when-gluten-is-the-villain-could-a-common-virus-be-the-trigger

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
No, I get bloated feeling and kind of run down whenever I eat anything with gluten.

That sucks. I had GI issues and was so relieved to find I had no gluten sensitivity.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:07:24 AM by jkb »

wordpress