A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!  (Read 4600 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
So you are using a separate hood and exhaust fan?  This job s my actual line of work, so I'm more then happy to walk you through.  You done top notch work gotta vent it right
-Jeff

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
I plan to keep one of the garage doors cracked or the outside garage door open - the oven is only 45K Btus - that is the same as my inside oven when baking with two burners on (and my house is a lot tighter than my garage).

If the gas company says I need a vent hood I'll put one in - otherwise (for the amount of pizza I cook) and how not airtight my garage is, I'm going to skip the hood.

I also monitor C02 (a combustion byproduct) in my house and in the garage so I can keep a close watch on it. When I run my inside normal home gas oven the C02 goes up from 500-600PPM to 3000 PPM.

I can contrast and compare that to the garage when I'm running the pizza oven. I have that C02 monitor tied into a home automation controller so I can get voice alerts, txt messages or emails if the C02 level gets too high - heck, I could even have it fully open the garage door.
Norm

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
Plans all sound fine to me for use in a garage.  You won't  need the square to round or anything then, just let it vent out the top of the oven.  I'm curious what the gas company will say as code and your homeowners will both say you can't have this oven in your house my guess is they will cover their ass, but you never know.
-Jeff

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »
Norm, good luck with the inspection, I have a little knowledge in that field, and typically the fact that you will crack a door is not an assumption that would be valid.  Generally they want it to be safe even if the homeowner forgets to open the door.   Of course, my gas fired water heater is more than 45k, and I also have a gas dryer right next to it, and both were approved. 

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
I would be surprised if they require a make up air vent with an oven in the garage ie not in living space.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »
I also monitor C02 (a combustion byproduct) in my house and in the garage so I can keep a close watch on it. When I run my inside normal home gas oven the C02 goes up from 500-600PPM to 3000 PPM.

I can contrast and compare that to the garage when I'm running the pizza oven. I have that C02 monitor tied into a home automation controller so I can get voice alerts, txt messages or emails if the C02 level gets too high - heck, I could even have it fully open the garage door.

CO2 will make you panic before you suffocate; CO (carbon monoxide) will kill you before you realize there's a problem...
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Vtsteve - do you have any details on other combustion byproducts - I tried for the longest time to did up a paper that layout the typical amounts (ratios) of each combustion byproduct for a given gas flame. I was thinking, by measuring the C02 I could use its value to infer the other byproduct values. I could find no easy other (and inexpensive) way to gather data on the other combustion byproducts.

DS - hope your right

Barry, I could make the same argument for not turning on the exhaust hood (unless they run 24x7) - it could go either way and I'm pretty sure if the gas company gives it the OK I'll be safe. If not, I have more work to do.

Fingers crossed - I will know by COB today...
Norm

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
I'd just go with a residential monoxide alarm and not worry about the exact level -- I believe a monoxide alarm will also trip on a gas leak, since they're both reducing agents.

On the downside, it may also trip on high ethanol levels.   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
Norm    Barry, I could make the same argument for not turning on the exhaust hood (unless they run 24x7) - it could go either way and I'm pretty sure if the gas company gives it the OK I'll be safe. If not, I have more work to do.

Actually, the exhaust hood is primarily to remove the byproducts of complete combustion, such as water vapor .  You would be stunned how much water vapor comes out of combustion of natural gas.   The purpose of fresh air near the burners is to make sure there is complete combustion,which results in CO2 and water vapor.   ( which are actually the same things we expel when we exhale)  If not enough oxygen gets to the burners, then you will get CO as a byproduct, as well as soot, etc. CO  is deadly because it displaces the oxygen in the bloodstream.  Worse, if it is a low amount of CO, you will have the same symptoms as a common cold, so it is hard for most people to realize it. There is no fixed ratio of CO2 to CO, the ratio varies on how complete the combustion is.   I second the idea of a home CO detector

BTW,  my garage is leaky enough, meaning it allows enough fresh air, that I have a Natural gas water heater, heater for the home, and gas dryer, all of which draw the combustion air from the garage.  My guess is that collectively, I have 140,000 btu of gas appliances in my garage, so my guess is you should be good to go, but obviously it would be great to hear what the gas company guys say.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2018, 06:44:26 AM »
I will get the C0 detector as a safeguard - the gas man did not like the idea of not having a vent but he also said I should be be ok if I opened the garage door while the oven was on - thanks for the info, I found (and read) a good paper yesterday that talks about (explains) what you are saying. Starting to wish I had waited for an electric oven big enough for a 20 inch pie to show up used and for sale, especially since I already had the 220 circuits put in.

https://www3.epa.gov/ttnchie1/ap42/ch01/final/c01s04.pdf

PS. He did find a small leak with his NG detector - it was in a part of the gas line I did not mess with or replace / build out and is a fitting inside the oven in a place that is really hard to access so my plan for later today is to try to figure out how to get that all apart and fix the leak. I was so close....

PPS. Just hit the buy now button for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742FPGCN/?tag=pmak-20
Norm

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
Forgot to mention - it was amazing to me how much the C02 went up in the garage yesterday just from the pilot light in the GP-61 being on (graph below). Also, just the pilot kept the oven (top and bottom cooking cavities) steady at 110 degrees for the whole time it was on. The gas man also timed the oven it was putting out a bit over 60K Btus and adjusted the regulator down but it is still running a bit over 50K. The nameplate has 45K stamped on it....
Norm

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »
Norm,  glad you have the CO detector on the way.  When it comes to comparing gas to electric, IMO, there is no comparison, and you are much better off with gas.  There is no direct comparison from btu to watts in terms of heat generated, but in terms of orders of magnitude, if you oven is using 50,000 btu s,  that is roughly  14 KW  or 66 amps at 220.   

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:15 AM »
Norm,  glad you have the CO detector on the way.  When it comes to comparing gas to electric, IMO, there is no comparison, and you are much better off with gas. There is no direct comparison from btu to watts in terms of heat generated, but in terms of orders of magnitude, if you oven is using 50,000 btu s,  that is roughly  14 KW  or 66 amps at 220.   

This is true
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Forgot to mention - it was amazing to me how much the C02 went up in the garage yesterday just from the pilot light in the GP-61 being on (graph below). Also, just the pilot kept the oven (top and bottom cooking cavities) steady at 110 degrees for the whole time it was on. The gas man also timed the oven it was putting out a bit over 60K Btus and adjusted the regulator down but it is still running a bit over 50K. The nameplate has 45K stamped on it....

If you're curious, the recommended exposure limit is 5,000PPM (short term to 30,000), and the "immediately dangerous to life or health" concentration is 40,000.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/124389.html
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
Thx, Craig, it will be interesting to see what happens when I do the recommended 5 hour break in at 300 degrees (for the new stones).

In my house when the inside C02 monitor hits 3000 PPM my home automation software turns on the furnace fan and opens the fresh air intake then it kicks on the exhaust vents in my house to create some negative pressure inside. Works really good, the C02 levels drop pretty fast.

Since outside C02 levels are about 400 PPM I like to keep it as low as possible - no reason not to. I remember reading that people with lung / respiratory issues can be somewhat impacted by levels beyond 3000 PPM.
Norm

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »
Two on deck, hoping to get the break in finished today and test the new oven tomorrow - one balled up and the other piece cut in half just before balling. 10 min. mix in KA  :pizza:
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
Two on deck, hoping to get the break in finished today and test the new oven tomorrow - one balled up and the other piece cut in half just before balling. 10 min. mix in KA  :pizza:

Sounds like you got the leak fixed.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
Yes, for some reason there were connections inside the oven - I eliminated all of them with a new section of 3/4 inch pipe - now just re-working the standoffs support brackets I made since the pipe is sticking 1 inch more out on the back of the oven.
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
It would seem to me that your BP oven is less BTUs than a standard stove+oven with all the burners on and the oven on full blast. I dont think you would have a problem with CO in your garage. Its good to have a monitor but I think you will be ok.

You might have a condensation issue but if your garage has a ridge vent that would only appear way up and maybe  not at all.  In my garage (no vent) when I have my torpedo heater on and its really cold some of the the shingle nails that poke thru the roof get frost on them.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
I doubt it too but I'll cook with the garage door open just to be safe - oven is on now at 300 degrees for the break in.
Norm

wordpress