A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Neapolitan Style / Re: Carbon oven NP pies
« Last post by HansB on October 24, 2021, 05:12:06 PM »
Apologies...I assumed by the title that it was a thread for anyone's Neopolitan pies in a Carbon oven.
I did not mean to step on anyone's toes.

You're good!

From Post #1 in this thread: "Interested in seeing everyone's oven set up and NP  pies."
Neapolitan Style / Re: Carbon oven NP pies
« Last post by Monkeyboy on October 24, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
Nice pizza, perhaps start your own thread to showcase your progress?

Apologies...I assumed by the title that it was a thread for anyone's Neopolitan pies in a Carbon oven.
I did not mean to step on anyone's toes.
Home Ovens / Re: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)
« Last post by Utalpha on October 24, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
Looks like a nice even bake.  Did you have to rotate the pizza at all ?
I did not
New York Style / Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Last post by RHawthorne on October 24, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
Lately I've been tossing around the idea of blending some passata with crushed tomatoes (either pre-crushed or whole tomatoes crushed by hand) to get the kind of consistency I want. I'm looking for something with a nice chunkiness like crushed tomatoes, but a bit more fluid, so it be can spread on pizzas quickly. But I'm also thinking that maybe I need to first invest in a food mill, to get out as much water as possible in the crushed tomatoes before I add the passata. I'm just not sure it's really worth the investment in a potentially costly food mill, if the sauce I get with that process wouldn't be any better than it would be if I just drained whole tomatoes and crushed them and then added the passata. Maybe I could just take the drained whole tomatoes and hit the with some salt and let them sit overnight to let the salt draw the water out, instead of putting them through a mill? I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe some of us here have already tried out something like this approach (?). Any input is more than welcome.
New York Style / Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Last post by hammettjr on October 24, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
^^^While whole peeled is more watery than crushed, I also found Cento SM to be the most watery. I use Alta Cucina, but liked Muir Glen from the grocery store. Also, Bianco is popular.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by Elchimi on October 24, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Tonda Romana, so good
Detroit Style / Re: par baked vs straight baked?
« Last post by Andrew t on October 24, 2021, 02:32:41 PM »
UPDATE-
I've settled on doing the par bake.

The results are both solid.

I've been baking 8-10 at a time for my day job once a week to serve by the slice. I did straight one week and par baked another. The variation between pies in the same batch was as much as between the batches. 

The biggest difference was is managing the work flow.

I could see in a professional setting straight bake being prefered if that was the primary focus of the operation. Way fewer steps, less storage requiremnts, simpler training, less critical points for error.  The same could be said for baking at home.

Parbaking has so many advantages for my operations/enviroment. Both in my day job in a cafe that only serves pizza occasionally and my side hustle moblie pizza operation.

In that enviroment the added steps provide several different places to 'park' the process and work it on a schedgule that fits my needs. It is also possible to change the timeline in process if needed.

I settled on the John A. method for Sicilan. 4-5 day CF, pan, proof (8-12 hours), cook, cool and freeze. then top and finish as needed.

For my work flow the advantages of par baking have proven to be huge.

I can make the dough when it suits. Cold feremnt it 3-5 days, pulling to rise and par bake when it works. I can retard the rising panned dough if need be overnight and finsh the rise and bake the next day. Once baked, cooled and frozen it can be fininshed when ready.

It feels like cheating but it works.

Andrew
Pizza Cheese / Re: Caputo Brothers Mozzarella
« Last post by piesofsatan on October 24, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »
Loved the Fior di Pizza. Really nice flavor but I also donít know if I noticed a huge difference between it and the Grande WM I was using previously. Though I canít wait to bake with it again. Melt was great!
Neapolitan Style / Re: My Road To Napoli
« Last post by degustatore on October 24, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
Hi amolapizza

Out of all your recent Classica experiments, which dough recipe would you recommend I try?

Thanks!

I think it's what I call pizza classica, the pizza served in most of Europe and in Italy (except for in Naples).  You hit the nail on the head with 375C!  Baked for about 2.5-3 minutes.

I've documented some of my bakes in a thread, starting from here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52331.msg670827#msg670827

You're right about Europe! I've had the same style in different parts of France and I would say that in Tuscany (and most of the other parts we've visited in Italy) most of the pizza is in the classic style - not Neapolitan. I like Neapolitan but nowhere near as much as the classic style.

I'll move across to your Classica thread and join you over there, if that's OK!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
wordpress