A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 546150 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #6880 on: October 26, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »
GumbaWill if I read right you are nursing some pretty good burns. Hope you are doing OK.
Marty

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6881 on: October 27, 2021, 05:15:18 PM »
Just got these out of the mailbox - they are in my bread queue.

From a WA State farm/miller.

https://bluebirdgrainfarms.com/
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6882 on: October 27, 2021, 08:01:46 PM »
Just got these out of the mailbox - they are in my bread queue.

From a WA State farm/miller.

https://bluebirdgrainfarms.com/

The next step is to get a Mockmill for fresh milled wheat!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6883 on: October 27, 2021, 08:28:30 PM »
The next step is to get a Mockmill for fresh milled wheat!

My wife got me this two years ago for my birthday (and a 40 mesh sifter) but I donít think I ever used / tried them - my bad  :-D
Norm

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6884 on: October 27, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »
Breadtopia has good wheat berries, I think you'd like fresh milled.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #6885 on: October 28, 2021, 12:09:40 AM »
Breadtopia has good wheat berries, I think you'd like fresh milled.

Do you think it really makes that much difference? I have a Mockmill 100, and used it many times and also bought fresh milled local wheat flour. I find that dough made with a large % of fresh milled wheat is weaker and doesn't have good volume. But if I am going to rest the flour for 5+ days to age it a bit, aren't I better off just buying a really nice quality local fresh milled flour?

I recently tried this one from Full Belly Farms. I have to say, it was better than anything I've ever milled at home:

https://www.alberteve.com/Heirloom%20Wheat%20Wholegrain%20Frassenetto

I suspect that large professional stone grinders make flour with a superior texture than my Mockmill, but maybe I'm just not using it right.

Also, don't know if anyone has tried Jovial All-Purpose Einkorn but that's probably my #1 most favorite heirloom flour. Adds a great nutty flavor and beautiful yellow color to the crumb.

I did really enjoy the Sprouted Spelt grains from Breadtopia when I was fresh grinding. That was my favorite one from them.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:14:00 AM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6886 on: October 28, 2021, 12:25:03 AM »

Also, don't know if anyone has tried Jovial All-Purpose Einkorn but that's probably my #1 most favorite heirloom flour. Adds a great nutty flavor and beautiful yellow color to the crumb.

All time favorite flour of mine. Since Covid my local supply source usually is out of stock. It's best for me in clay baker as it rises well with the cover on.

Offline DoouBall

Today's Bread
« Reply #6887 on: October 28, 2021, 02:38:15 AM »
All time favorite flour of mine. Since Covid my local supply source usually is out of stock. It's best for me in clay baker as it rises well with the cover on.
Awesome. Please share how you prefer to use it.

I have found that 20% jovial AP works well alongside KAAP or slightly stronger flour at 80%. In this way I can knead normally and not have to modify my process. When I pushed to 30% or higher, the volume suffered. Hereís a yudane shokupan and some rustic breads made this way.

Note the yellowish color - tastes much better than regular wheat IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:41:45 AM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6888 on: October 28, 2021, 07:39:53 AM »
Do you think it really makes that much difference? I have a Mockmill 100, and used it many times and also bought fresh milled local wheat flour. I find that dough made with a large % of fresh milled wheat is weaker and doesn't have good volume. But if I am going to rest the flour for 5+ days to age it a bit, aren't I better off just buying a really nice quality local fresh milled flour?

I recently tried this one from Full Belly Farms. I have to say, it was better than anything I've ever milled at home:

https://www.alberteve.com/Heirloom%20Wheat%20Wholegrain%20Frassenetto

I suspect that large professional stone grinders make flour with a superior texture than my Mockmill, but maybe I'm just not using it right.

Also, don't know if anyone has tried Jovial All-Purpose Einkorn but that's probably my #1 most favorite heirloom flour. All of the breads in my photos are made that way. Adds a great nutty flavor and beautiful yellow color to the crumb.

I did really enjoy the Sprouted Spelt grains from Breadtopia when I was fresh grinding. That was my favorite one from them.

I think that needing to rest flour is a myth. I use 25% fresh milled, from the Mockmill directly into the water, in all my breads. Flavor of 100% fresh milled whole wheat is much better than any flour I have purchased. YMMV.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:41:25 AM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline loch

« Reply #6889 on: October 28, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »
I think that needing to rest flour is a myth. I use 25% fresh milled, from the Mockmill directly into the water, in all my breads. Flavor of 100% fresh milled whole wheat is much better than any flour I have purchased. YMMV.

Do you have a go to flour that you use for the other 75%?

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6890 on: October 28, 2021, 08:27:45 AM »
Do you have a go to flour that you use for the other 75%?

Dave

Dave, I use mostly Bay State Milling Winona, it's unmalted and has 12.5% protein. I can get it locally at the Great Harvest Bread Co. for their cost, about $18 for 50 pounds. King Arthur BF at 12.7% works very well too.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:52:01 AM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline loch

« Reply #6891 on: October 28, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Dave, I use mostly Bay State Milling Winona, it's unmalted and has 12.5% protein. I can get locally it at the Great Harvest Bread Co. for their cost, about $18 for 50 pounds. King Arthur BF at 12.7% works very well too.

Thanks. I mostly get what the local stores have, but have been looking at some smaller, local producers. Shipping cost is the biggest deterrent. Local stores like Whole Foods have been a big disappointment.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6892 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
Thanks. I mostly get what the local stores have, but have been looking at some smaller, local producers. Shipping cost is the biggest deterrent. Local stores like Whole Foods have been a big disappointment.

Dave

I hear you. I really like Central Milling ABC+ but the shipping is more than the flour. KABF really is a good flour thats available everywhere.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6893 on: October 28, 2021, 09:01:06 AM »
Awesome. Please share how you prefer to use it.

I have found that 20% jovial AP works well alongside KAAP or slightly stronger flour at 80%. In this way I can knead normally and not have to modify my process. When I pushed to 30% or higher, the volume suffered. Hereís a yudane shokupan and some rustic breads made this way.

Note the yellowish color - tastes much better than regular wheat IMHO.

Great looking bread - BTW, how do you get the twin loaf shape (first loaf in your post) - looks cool!!!!
Norm

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6894 on: October 28, 2021, 11:22:56 AM »
Norm, just divide the dough into however many pieces you want, roll each piece and put it into the pan. On this loaf you can see how I rolled it.

Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #6895 on: October 28, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »

That's really interesting. It does remind me that I read somewhere that flour is strongest right after milling OR after resting a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try this again. Thanks!
Do you have any specific favorite whole wheat grains that you love best from Breadtopia or others? I'm looking for something that makes tender bread without sacrificing loaf volume.

Great looking bread - BTW, how do you get the twin loaf shape (first loaf in your post) - looks cool!!!!

For Shokupan, this is the method I use to form the loaf, starting from dividing the bulk at 2:15s into this video. That video shows the most basic direct Shokupan which is already great:

Even better is the recipe I use now for Shokupan which involves Yudane. My favorite Shokpan so far was made with Yudane with freshly ground Franssinetto flour from Full Belly Farms at 20% and the other 80% was KAAP.

Alex

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6896 on: October 28, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
Norm, just divide the dough into however many pieces you want, roll each piece and put it into the pan. On this loaf you can see how I rolled it.

Nice - great for sharing - almost like a loaf of bread and some dinner rolls had a baby  ::)
Norm

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6897 on: October 28, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
That's really interesting. It does remind me that I read somewhere that flour is strongest right after milling OR after resting a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try this again. Thanks!
Do you have any specific favorite whole wheat grains that you love best from Breadtopia or others? I'm looking for something that makes tender bread without sacrificing loaf volume.

For Shokupan, this is the method I use to form the loaf, starting from dividing the bulk at 2:15s into this video. That video shows the most basic direct Shokupan which is already great:

Even better is the recipe I use now for Shokupan which involves Yudane. My favorite Shokpan so far was made with Yudane with freshly ground Franssinetto flour from Full Belly Farms at 20% and the other 80% was KAAP.

Thanks you so much Alex - need to round up the wife to watch the videos - We watched the new Dune movie and now free bread videos - might be the best week in a long time  :-D

PS. I will also check out Full Belly Farms - thanks again!
Norm

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6898 on: October 28, 2021, 07:58:03 PM »

Yecora Rojo, Rouge de Bordeaux and spelt are really good. I also think Triticale has great flavor, I buy it here: https://www.moonfamilyfarm.com/product-page/triticale
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #6899 on: October 28, 2021, 09:08:58 PM »
Yecora Rojo, Rouge de Bordeaux and spelt are really good. I also think Triticale has great flavor, I buy it here: https://www.moonfamilyfarm.com/product-page/triticale

Nice! I think I'll try the Rouge de Bordeaux next just because it's easy to find at my local farmer's market. Triticale sounds amazing too - I'll add that to the list. Thanks.
Alex