A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)  (Read 194954 times)

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)
« Reply #2200 on: August 04, 2021, 10:27:14 AM »
I have searched all these threads and cant find an answer.  Has anyone went to a steel shop and has a custom (obv) cut stainless stone made to replace the original?  If so how were the results?

Larry gifted me a steel for the breville and it was the best thing ever. i like to bake low and slow and i get some amazing bottoms for my pizza.
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline gfdem9252

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2201 on: August 04, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about a newer model.  Someone with some knowledge told me this a while back.  I have checked on line.  Found it odd that no Williams Sonoma stores have them in stock, same with Sur La Table and Crate and Barrel is also on line only.  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline flilow06

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2202 on: August 22, 2021, 02:29:40 PM »
Have been following this thread for some time, finally pulled the trigger on a new Breville!
First bake, went with something I would do in my home oven to begin with a comparison.

Toppings inspired by the "Bee Sting" at Roberta's Pizza, one of my favs.
Calabrian sausage, bufala mozz, hot honey, chili flakes, basil, parm

Flour was 80/20 mix of Cairnspring glacier peak/expresso
68% hydration, 3% oil, 3% sugar, 2% salt, 0.2% IDY
550F Top/Bottom

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 02:32:48 PM by flilow06 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2203 on: August 26, 2021, 10:59:29 PM »
Havenít cooked with the pizzaiolo lately so decided to use it tonight. Bread flour used old dough fermented all day in 650 grams of water used with 1000 grams of flour. Added a nice flavor to the finished pizza.full heat top bottom plus raised stone.

Offline flilow06

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2204 on: September 08, 2021, 09:54:48 PM »
Larry gifted me a steel for the breville and it was the best thing ever. i like to bake low and slow and i get some amazing bottoms for my pizza.

Did you guys have a steel made to fit in place of the stock stone or to sit on top of it?

Offline flilow06

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2205 on: September 12, 2021, 11:34:12 PM »
Roberta's 50/50 Caputo/KAAP recipe with Ischia starter cooked in the Breville at full blast.

Offline NewtoBreville

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2206 on: October 07, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
Wow.  We found this site while researching the Breville and your photos inspired us to buy it!

Your pizzas all look amazing!! We have been making pizza in the regular oven at home for a while but we were not happy with the way it cooked.   The Breville looks like it will fix that.  Being near Toronto Canada, outdoor pizza cooking won't work thru the winter so we are excited about this indoor option!   

We are newbies.   We are not yet at the point of making our own dough, we will start with Longos'.  Impressed by all yours!   

So.... question please:
I read here about using parchment paper .... can someone please elaborate on the best way to use it? Any tips/ tricks?

I like the idea so we can prepare 4 individual pizzas  and move them in and out of the oven easier. 
We arent very fast with prep. 
Very scared of sticking and dropping until we get the hang of this!  ;D

Thanks so much!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:05:52 AM by NewtoBreville »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2207 on: October 07, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »
So.... question please:
I read here about using parchment paper .... can someone please elaborate on the best way to use it? Any tips/ tricks?

Offline NewtoBreville

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2208 on: October 07, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »

Great thanks!

Love all your videos! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:30:09 AM by NewtoBreville »

Offline gobsmacked

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2209 on: October 07, 2021, 02:42:00 PM »
Re: Parchment paper.

I think the Breville company does not recommend its use probably due to fire risk. One of the Breville reps has posted several times on this forum and even this specific thread, and I recall one of their lower powered ovens DID suggest using parchment paper to help with the launch. Take that for what you will. 

My pizzas have HUGELY benefit from using the PP method that I learned from Bill's videos in the above post. Before that I was struggling with launching and sometimes making a huge mess when the pie stuck on the peel. Alternately, if I had a generous amount of flour or cornmeal on the peel then that would help the launch, but would then make for tiny burnt on smoking bits in the oven. Not good indoors, too smoky even with a range hood.

My specific method is to stretch and shape the dough round until it's the right size, place on the PP, dress the za with toppings, then cut away the excess leaving a few millimeters around the edge. Then I slide the peel under, and launch into the oven, paper under the pie.

Removing the PP partway through the bake seems a good idea to prevent burning. On high temps like 700F or the Wood Fired Oven setting, I pull the paper at 30 seconds, and send the pie back in for the remaining time. At lower temps like 500-600F or New York settings, I pull at 3 minutes before sending the pie back in.

With these methods, I have never failed to launch a pie successfully. It truly idiot proofs the process, which is sorely needed in my kitchen. AND there is no residual flour or cornmeal on the stone to burn, smoke and smell. That makes indoor pizza a much more pleasing process.

I suggest your first attempts with this oven be done outside, since having small flames inside can occur if toppings or paper catch fire. Bring inside once you have your methods in place.

Also worth noting; if any PP is likely to catch fire, it would be the parts left uncovered by the pie. Try to trim away the excess like Bill does to avoid spontaneous combustion.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:09:27 PM by gobsmacked »

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2210 on: October 07, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »

I think the Breville company does not recommend its use probably due to fire risk. One of the Breville reps has posted several times on this forum and even this specific thread, and I recall one of their lower powered ovens DID suggest using parchment paper to help with the launch. Take that for what you will. 

I did have a piece of parchment catch fire but it wasn't sized to the pizza and I was attempting to make it work similar to a superpeel. I ended up buying one of the smaller superpeels built with an Epicurean peel and cutting it down to fit in the Pizzaiola since a launch failure could easily lead to me to not having supper.

Offline NewtoBreville

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2211 on: October 08, 2021, 10:23:01 PM »

My pizzas have HUGELY benefit from using the PP method that I learned from Bill's videos in the above post. Before that I was struggling with launching and sometimes making a huge mess when the pie stuck on the peel.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm too afraid to try to launch without pp because I KNOW i'll make a huge mess and there will be NO dinner!   ;D

Offline NewtoBreville

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2212 on: October 08, 2021, 10:31:52 PM »
We tried our brand new Breville last night ... OMG it was awesome. 
Thanks all for your advice.   The parchment worked perfectly.  I'm super scared to try without it ... we will one day but for now the parchment works really well for us.

No fancy ingredients,  store bought dough ... but great pizza - better than our local delivery, hot, fresh, perfectly cooked made as we like it. 4 different personal pizzas in a very short time!  Can't do that in the oven!!
We'll get fancier as time goes on but first night was better than we expected!   

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #2213 on: October 13, 2021, 10:59:07 PM »
Great start with your oven!  I think youíll be very happy with your purchase!

If you worry about your dough sticking I have two suggestions;

1. Purchase a wooden peel for launching the pies.  They tend to be more forgiving than the steel peels.

2. Instead of using flour on your peel I would recommend using rice flour or a blend of rice flour/semolina.  It makes it much easier to slide your pizza onto the stone.

A lot of other folks will use a product called Wondra, which is available in the baking aisles of grocery stores.

Offline flilow06

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2214 on: October 16, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm too afraid to try to launch without pp because I KNOW i'll make a huge mess and there will be NO dinner!   ;D

The best sized wooden peel I've found is this one, which is designed for the Breville at 11.5" wide.

https://pizzaresourcecenter.com/collections/accessories/products/sport-peel

Offline NewtoBreville

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2215 on: October 21, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »
We've used the oven a few more times.  Always makes a great pie!   So happy with our purchase!!

Thanks for the tips.   We will look for a wooden peel and the different flours.   

Thanks for the link to the wooden peel.  They even ship to Canada!     

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #2216 on: October 23, 2021, 10:28:42 PM »
First cook, pretty happy with it.  Manual mode 750 bottom 650 top.  00 dough 70%, 2.75 min cook

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2217 on: October 24, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
Looks like a nice even bake.  Did you have to rotate the pizza at all ?
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #2218 on: October 24, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
Looks like a nice even bake.  Did you have to rotate the pizza at all ?
I did not

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #2219 on: November 14, 2021, 08:26:19 PM »
Working on dialing in, pretty happy with this thing