A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Modernist Pizza  (Read 984 times)

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
Modernist Pizza
« on: May 19, 2021, 08:54:02 AM »
I just received an email from Kitchen Arts & Letters about the pending release of Modernist Pizza by Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya. Below are the details and the special that they're running and a link to the set:

Special offer: Order now and save $50 off the cover price and get a $50 Kitchen Arts & Letters gift certificate
Publication date: October 5, 2021. Your gift certificate will be emailed to you within 24 hours of your order and can be used immediately.
Modernist Pizza is the definitive guide to the world’s most popular food. Created by the team that published the critically acclaimed Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking and Modernist Bread, this groundbreaking set is the culmination of exhaustive research, travel, and experiments to collect and advance the world’s knowledge of pizza.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya share practical tips and innovative techniques, which are the outcome of hundreds of tests and experiments. Spanning 1,708 pages, including three volumes plus a recipe manual, Modernist Pizza is much more than a cookbook: it’s an indispensable resource for anyone who not only loves to eat pizza but is also interested in the science, stories, cultures, and history behind it. Each gorgeously illustrated chapter examines a different aspect of pizza, from its history and top travel destinations to dough, sauce, cheese, toppings, equipment, and more.

Housed in a red stainless-steel case, Modernist Pizza contains over 1,000 traditional and avant-garde recipes to make pizza from around the globe, each carefully developed with both professional and home pizzaioli in mind.

Modernist Pizza will provide you with the tools to evolve your craft, invent, and make sublime creations. There’s never been a better time to make pizza.

3 Hardcover volumes + 1 spiral bound kitchen manual

https://kitchenartsandletters.com/product/modernist-pizza/?mc_cid=f94a870640&mc_eid=d016ddf934
Paul

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Modernist Pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »
Nathan Myhrvold, the word's greatest Patent Troll.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/07/26/138576167/when-patents-attack

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Nathan Myhrvold, the word's greatest Patent Troll.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/07/26/138576167/when-patents-attack

:o

The price of those 3 volumes... :o ??? :o
 :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:38:51 AM by texmex »
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
The price of those 3 volumes... :o ??? :o
 :-D :-D :-D

I'm just passing along news.  ;D

And you are right about the price. I would venture to bet there is more information on this site than could ever be contained in that set.
Paul

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
I had flipped through the full version of Modernist Cuisine and bought a copy of Modernist at Home when it was on sale. It had some interesting techniques and ideas, but overall, it wasn't worth it. I'm curious to flip through, but I imagine this will be the same.

The photography is very impressive, but that doesn't make food taste better.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
WOW!  You could by a pizza oven for the price of the books.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »
Modernist?  Do we have to go back THAT far?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:54 AM »
I own the full set of Modernist Bread, read all 5 volumes, and tried most of the recipes. Fortunately, it cost me nothing (I owned the URL for modernistpizza.com and sold it to Myhrvold a few years back; I had him throw in the books as part of the deal).

Most of the exposition in the bread book is very uneven, poorly edited, and available elsewhere. Minor topics were covered in mind-numbing detail. Sourdough cultures, a major topic that could have benefited greatly from a deep dive in his multi-million dollar kitchen, were glossed over. I liked a number of recipes, but now a few years later, there is only one, modernist dosa, that is part of my go-to bread recipes.

In the few years that they have been working on the book, there has been an explosion of new pizza ovens targeted at home enthusiasts, like many here in this forum. I see this trend accelerating and I wonder how useful this book is going to be. For example, the Carbon Kitchen oven, which I have been playing around with for a few months, has changed the way I make dough and bake pizzas. I'm wondering how well this book will hold up in this regard by the time it is available.

I do wonder what kind of pizza photos we'll see if he uses his electron microscope.   :)

Offline artaxares

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 12:50:33 PM »
Modernist bread and especially modernist cuisine are really really great books. Those books teach lots of important fundamentals from scientific angle and break lots of common myths which is extremely useful. I made lots of recipes from those books but more to see how techniques work because "best" recipes don't exist anyway but those books teach you how to modify any recipe because you know "how things work".
Unfortunately price is just too high for a single person to buy it, 425$ for book about pizza is just too much, but if someone finds it in a library or anywhere else I'm sure it would be a great read.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Modernist Pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 03:52:33 PM »
How much Grande, All Trumps and Rosa Grande will $382 buy? >:D :-D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1734386126/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 03:54:38 PM »
It’s finally out then. I’ll be interested to hear some thoughts from someone buying it.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »
They picked Portland as best pizza city!

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 04:35:09 PM »
That or singing up to this place...... I think I made the right choice

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
I'm going to merge this topic with an existing one that started a few months ago. Stand by.

Merge complete.

According to Amazon, this book will be released in October.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
Most of the exposition in the bread book is very uneven, poorly edited, and available elsewhere. Minor topics were covered in mind-numbing detail. Sourdough cultures, a major topic that could have benefited greatly from a deep dive in his multi-million dollar kitchen, were glossed over. I liked a number of recipes, but now a few years later, there is only one, modernist dosa, that is part of my go-to bread recipes.
That’s disappointing. With such a big volume, I would certainly expect sourdough to play a huge role. It is the ultimate way to make many kinds of bread in my opinion.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 04:59:57 PM »
That’s disappointing. With such a big volume, I would certainly expect sourdough to play a huge role. It is the ultimate way to make many kinds of bread in my opinion.

Exactly 8 pages on sourdough with nothing useful that hasn't been known for years. 

Offline Numerator

• Just keep cooking
Modernist Pizza Three Book Set. Available for preorder.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »
https://modernistcuisine.com/books/modernist-pizza/

For the low price of $425.  It is backordered.

https://modernistcuisineshop.com/products/modernist-pizza

That is one pricey pizza book set.  At least you get a calendar.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:13:33 PM by Numerator »
Dough Fermentation Tool
http://www.shadergraphics.com

Offline caymus

Re: Modernist Pizza Three Book Set. Available for preorder.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »
I think I will pass unless the library system has an electronic version.  I am in the 'Swedish Death Cleaning" mode of my life.

Offline Numerator

• Just keep cooking
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2021, 12:10:13 AM »
I read one of the pizza recipes on the web site.  It was very disappointing. 
Dough Fermentation Tool
http://www.shadergraphics.com

Offline galoot

• I Love Pizza!
New book release
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
Just saw this morning that Nathan Myhrvold of "Modernist Cuisine" fame has a new book release next month. A 3-volume set "Modernist Pizza" looks like it will cover every aspect of pizza making.
https://modernistcuisine.com/books/modernist-pizza/

He also wrote "Modernist Bread". When this guy puts his mind to something, he does it! Such as spend 18 months developing a high speed camera to take pictures of snowflakes.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/nathan-myhrvold-highest-resolution-snowflake-photographs-1939833
And I thought I had lots of different interests....

You can tell from my number of posts that I am new here. :)
Great forum and learning lots by reading past posts.

ETA missed this thread - looks like this was old news....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:43:36 AM by galoot »