A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What Shred Size  (Read 946 times)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: What Shred Size
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
You like the cubes better than shredded?

Well, I buy a shredded Mozz/Prov mix.
Dicing the Muenster was just a one time thing since I wanted to try Muenster.

For me, I can't really say if I like one way better than the other since they were different cheeses.
But in one way, I do have a preference to the Mozz/Prov since comes already shredded.  ;D

This is the diced Muenster on the pizza.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:25:18 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »
This is the diced Muenster on the pizza.

What is that meat on the pizza?
Paul

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 07:37:18 PM »
So you, too, are advocating cubed cheese?

With a higher temp, yes. I like to put the cubes on top of the pepperoni, and on top of the jalapeño slices, then it puffs up and browns on top. It's not about preferences and more about moods. I am one moody individual. :P Tearing cheese is more satisfying then chopping it into cubes. Always use the Cutco cheese knife for cheese, and tomatoes! (thanks, Rudy!)
Tearing cheese is more satisfying...blah blah, but don't forget to squish it a bit too as you tuck it here and there.  Squishing wet mozz is the best.  Cubes will roll off the pie, as if they were marbles, or dice... so you have to press them down a little, or a lot. depends on hydration, and cube size.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
What is that meat on the pizza?

Homemade Canadian Bacon.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
This PERIOD!!!!  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55908.msg562862#msg562862

Yup, this is the best one I've found too. Once the cheese melts you can't tell what the shred size was and this makes it so much easier to shred.

Ira

Online 9slicePie

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »
Just a question:

what difference does the shred size make if the amount of cheese you're using is the same?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »
Just a question:

what difference does the shred size make if the amount of cheese you're using is the same?

I prefer the melt that I get from a larger shred. Best is to try different size to see what you like best.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
I prefer the melt that I get from a larger shred. Best is to try different size to see what you like best.

I agree, slower, better melt.....
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online 9slicePie

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
Re: the 2 responses above this post.......

if the amount of cheese used is the same, how does the "melt" differ based on shred size?  Sorry for the noob-ish question. (purposely asked this way)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 03:47:37 PM »
Easy experiment you can try yourself and see what you like. Use very fine shred on 1 side of a pie and very thick shred on the other side. Or time 2 separate pies with the different shred sizes.
Jon

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 08:07:30 PM »
Easy experiment you can try yourself and see what you like.

^^^   That's the only way you'll know...
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
The other quick answer is simply mass. 1/8" shreds of anything will cook or melt faster than 1/2" shreds or strips. Simply physics, not stating that condescendingly, just answering the question asked. Same reason a 1/2" piece of meat cooks differently than a 2" one. It makes a difference, not better or worse, just do it to YOUR preference!
Jon

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
This thing here in my opinion for home use is the ultimate. I've tried many options and nothing compares, and its built heavy duty, wont warp this sucker. Here's a picture beside my old full size box shredder, as you can see the size of the shreds are huge compared to the box shredder, way nicer melting then smaller size. You may think it's a lot of work to hand shred but not with this baby, I buy my cheese large bulk size bricks, weigh and cut it down to size of chunks I use on my pizza, freeze them then take out what I need, give the shredder a quick spray with cooking spray and shred while partially frozen, the shreds are so big its quick and easy, a must have in my opinion for home use.

I purchased mine from Amazon, its called Norpro Stainless Steel Potato Grater.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:17:46 AM by kori »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
Yup, best 12 bucks I ever spent!
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »
Jon