A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Merzbacher inspired Hoagie rolls  (Read 174 times)

Offline Caaleb

• I Love Pizza!
Merzbacher inspired Hoagie rolls
« on: September 11, 2021, 04:15:43 PM »

Merzbacher makes some of the best philly cheesesteak bread according to eater. The baker gave a decent amount of information on his rolls, which include King arthur high gluten flour, toasted freshly milled cornmeal and a poolish. It contains no sugar or fat. I'm not necessarily trying to clone his, as I like mine to be sweeter and less chewy. 

I went to my local co-op and purchased some multicolored dried corn. I toasted the kernal's in a pan until they smelled aromatic, ground them in a coffee grinder and sifted them. I could feel them in the dough, so they are definitely not as fine as they should be. The DATEM conditioner is from M&M foods. It helps keep them tender and the shelf life longer. I got busy and didnt make dough yesterday, so the poolish sat in the fridge overnight after 15 hour roomtemp. It had collapsed, but the dough's gluten seems fine. I'm going to cold bulk it overnight and than bake tomorrow. My biggest problem with hoagie rolls, is that the bottoms are always black. Ive tried black vs gray baking sheets. I'm baking at 400f

5% Toasted cornmeal       50g
95% Hi Gluten Flour       950g
63% Water                    630g
 2% salt
 3% malt syrup
.5% Yeast
.4% DATEM conditioner
 3% lard

poolish:
500g flour
500g water
1.25g yeast .25%

12-15 hours.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Merzbacher inspired Hoagie rolls
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 04:36:18 PM »
You might try baking on a higher rack to get the bottom farther from the heat to avoid the burned bottoms.

Looking forward to seeing the ones you make.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
Nice write-up, Caaleb. I hope yours come out well and look forward to seeing them and hearing what you think.
-Tony

Offline Caaleb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »
17 min at 500 with a little steam. Really happy with these. Definitely crunchy on the outside. I have to leave for work so no crumb shot for now, will post tonight. I need to work on my scoring.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T