A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ pizza wars ‘60s?  (Read 158 times)

Offline Cardellino

• I Love Pizza!
NJ pizza wars ‘60s?
« on: September 12, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
Going up in New Jersey I ate from lots of Mom and Pop pizzerias. All the pizzas were quite similar and there was a reason for that. Does anyone remember the Pizza Wars, as they were called back in the day? I tried google but didn’t come up with anything. I do remember a shoot out in the then very rural town of Frenchtown some time in the late ‘60s or early ‘70s.
Seems you had to buy your ingredients from one distributor or else. Anyone remember?

Offline SammyMeatballs

Re: NJ pizza wars ‘60s?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »
Search "The Pizza Connection" on YouTube. Plenty of info on there.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: NJ pizza wars ‘60s?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »
Going up in New Jersey I ate from lots of Mom and Pop pizzerias. All the pizzas were quite similar and there was a reason for that. Does anyone remember the Pizza Wars, as they were called back in the day? I tried google but didn’t come up with anything. I do remember a shoot out in the then very rural town of Frenchtown some time in the late ‘60s or early ‘70s.
Seems you had to buy your ingredients from one distributor or else. Anyone remember?

I worked in a NJ pizzeria just outside Newark in the early 70's.  Lots of underworld stuff was going on.  I will not write it publicly though  :)
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

A D V E R T I S E M E N T