A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Naples pizza making class advice / recommendations (urgent)  (Read 327 times)

Offline typicalsam

Naples pizza making class advice / recommendations (urgent)
« on: September 14, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Hi all

Couldnt find a thread on this subject and looking for some advice quite quickly.

I'm going to Naples! Mostly flying in and out and staying in Salerno but enough time to make a trip or two into the city.

So, a friend of a friend is a pizzaiolo who runs a neapolitan pizzeria outside of Naples. I was told (in typical Italian fashion) - "you can't do a class in naples, that's just people making money, my friend will teach you, he has his own restaurant".

It looks VERY legit and it all sounds great, however, its 300 euros so a little more expensive than I expected.

It will just be me and him in the restaurant on a weekday where they dont open till 6pm. I will do 10-1 and then be able to make lunch for my family. I was a bit surprised at the price, considering the friend of a friend, but it makes it even more ... sensitive how I handle it / respond.

The place looks legit and so does the guy himself. 10+ years at a known naples HQ'd pizza chain before opening his own place a couple of years ago, won a caputo avpn sponsored competition a few years ago etc. Trying to keep this deliberately vague.

Is this a reasonable offer? They dont do classes, its just a restaurant, so I feel like the fee is kinda plucked out of thin air (but I may be wrong). Should I look elsewhere for a private or group course? Going in 2 weeks so need to decide ASAP

Thanks all!

p.s. had a hiatus over the summer being abroad but I'm back and have a few updates for my thread

cheers
Sam
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:50:33 PM by typicalsam »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
Re: Naples pizza making class advice / recommendations (urgent)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
Hi all

Couldnt find a thread on this subject and looking for some advice quite quickly.

I'm going to Naples! Mostly flying in and out and staying in Salerno but enough time to make a trip or two into the city.

So, a friend of a friend is a pizzaiolo who runs a neapolitan pizzeria outside of Naples. I was told (in typical Italian fashion) - "you can't do a class in naples, that's just people making money, my friend will teach you, he has his own restaurant".

It looks VERY legit and it all sounds great, however, its 300 euros so a little more expensive than I expected.

It will just be me and him in the restaurant on a weekday where they dont open till 6pm. I will do 10-1 and then be able to make lunch for my family. I was a bit surprised at the price, considering the friend of a friend, but it makes it even more ... sensitive how I handle it / respond.

The place looks legit and so does the guy himself. 10+ years at a known naples HQ'd pizza chain before opening his own place a couple of years ago, won a caputo avpn sponsored competition a few years ago etc. Trying to keep this deliberately vague.

Is this a reasonable offer? They dont do classes, its just a restaurant, so I feel like the fee is kinda plucked out of thin air (but I may be wrong). Should I look elsewhere for a private or group course? Going in 2 weeks so need to decide ASAP

Thanks all!

p.s. had a hiatus over the summer being abroad but I'm back and have a few updates for my thread

cheers
Sam
Hi Typicalsam,If your goal is to become a professional pizzamaker, it's money wasted.  If, on the other hand, you want to increase your skills then it is a good experience to improve yourself and try the difficulties of a service in a pizzeria.  It always depends on your priorities and needs

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 04:13:01 AM »
Hi Typicalsam,If your goal is to become a professional pizzamaker, it's money wasted.  If, on the other hand, you want to increase your skills then it is a good experience to improve yourself and try the difficulties of a service in a pizzeria.  It always depends on your priorities and needs
Thanks! Just to increase my skills and learn from someone experienced, try a proper woodfired oven, lean how to open pizzas, cook several at a time etc. No aspirations to become peofressional. I wonder if for that it's better than the classes I can find on the internet.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 07:03:34 AM »
If the cost isnít a big financial burden then you should do it for the cultural experience.  Sort of like hiring a private tour guide for 1/2 a day that also buys lunch for you and your family. My guess is if you really didnít want to do it you would not have made this post. Just go for it :-)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:05:25 AM by ebpizza »

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:03 AM »
If the cost isnít a big financial burden then you should do it for the cultural experience.  Sort of like hiring a private tour guide for 1/2 a day that also buys lunch for you and your family. My guess is if you really didnít want to do it you would not have made this post. Just go for it :-)
:-D :-D :-D true

I guess my question is more if there's maybe a more established school / course available that people might recommend. This offer is a bit of an unknown - I'm not really sure what I'm signing up for and its not a small fee!

Offline BeanAnimal

• BeanAnimal's Reef
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
In my mind there is no question.

1 day in a class with a bunch of folks - maybe some hands on, but def a shared resource and something that will always be available if you so desire

vs

1 day with a credentialed person (he has experience and has won an award, indicating that he at least knows the craft) where you are hands on, 1 on 1 and can ask questions and get  personal feedback as well as a once in a lifetime experience.

Worst case, it is busy and you end up just being a fly on the wall and part prep cook. Still a once in a lifetime experience.   I don't know your financial situation, but 300  Euros is a nice lunch for the family or an evening at the pub. Even if I was tight on cash, I would likely spend it on this experience.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:45:47 AM by BeanAnimal »

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:43:05 AM »
In my mind there is no question.

1 day in a class with a bunch of folks - maybe some hands on, but def a shared resource and something that will always be available if you so desire

vs

1 day with a credentialed person (he has experience and has won an award, indicating that he at least knows the craft) where you are hands on, 1 on 1 and can ask questions and get  personal feedback as well as a once in a lifetime experience.

Worst case, it is busy and you end up just being a fly on the wall and part prep cook. Still a once in a lifetime experience.   I don't know your financial situation, but 300  Euros is a nice lunch for the family or an evening at the pub. Even if I was tight on cash, I would likely spend it on this experience.

Very true - there's group classes in the UK I could do if I wanted vs who knows when I will be back in Naples

Let's just say it's been an expensive year of post-lockdown activities - bachelor parties, weddings, holidays etc. A nice problem to have for sure. Thanks.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 01:45:44 PM »
I'd recommend that you take a chance and take the class (if you can afford it).

A few hours passed alone with a pizzaiolo master making pizza is probably worth 10 times the normal classes made together with 20 other people divided into a lot of theory (talking) and little hands on time..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 04:09:42 PM »
I'd do it if he agrees to get payed afterwards.

Offline BeanAnimal

• BeanAnimal's Reef
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 04:57:58 PM »
I'd do it if he agrees to get payed afterwards.

IMHO that is a rather pretentious request to make given the context and small amount of money involved.

If I were the Pizza Maker and you attempted to negotiate (given the context), I would simply rescind the offer. Easier (sorry to be so blunt) not to deal with somebody predisposed to be unhappy before we even get started.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:13:25 PM by BeanAnimal »

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor