A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: par baked vs straight baked?  (Read 136 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
par baked vs straight baked?
« on: September 14, 2021, 10:57:02 PM »
Detriot is not my normal thing but I'm looking at adding to my rotation. Seems like there is a split between 'old school' bake it all the way and par bake, cool, top and finish.

Am I correct that all the classic places- Buddy's Shields's, etc do straight bake? It seems like all the Insta-famous new school places do a par bake.

Other than work flow and logistics what is difference in the finished pizza? Can you even tell?

I plan on doing a par bake b/c of logistics and work flow but want to have a better understanding of the tradition, expected results, and reasoning behind why there is this split.

thank you,
Andrew

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: par baked vs straight baked?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »
I found that if you have the right dough and quantity, with the right pan then straight bake works great. If some of the variables are off or work flow of a commercial operation demands it then par bake is just fine. I'm mostly referring to Sicilian or similar. Detroit isn't beloved by my audience.  ::)

Offline jgeibel

• NY / Sicilian / Neapolitan / Detroit
Re: par baked vs straight baked?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
Iím about to do some experiments myself on the subject. My one thought is that the key feature of these pies is the dark caramelized cheese crust, so it seems like a straight bake would give far more cook time with the cheese in the pan to allow this to develop fully. Iíve cooked a lot of Sicilians and always par bake, but the cheese crust isnít a feature of that so that seems the way to go for that style. Iím going to try cooking both ways and see what I find.   

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress