A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Basic Sourdough Boule Recipe?  (Read 415 times)

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
Basic Sourdough Boule Recipe?
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:16:45 AM »
I have my Ischia culture producing well and would like to make a sourdough boule with it.  I have a large cast iron dutch oven to cook in. I don't have a proofing basket or proofer.  Anyone have a basic recipe they can share to get me started?  I have KABF and KA WWW in the pantry but am not opposed to getting something else if needed...

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Basic Sourdough Boule Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:04:32 AM »
Tartine rustic is the gold standard:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12042.msg112755#msg112755

There are a ton of videos on youtube. Here is a random one that looks OK that also includes the recipe for one loaf.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:25:21 AM »

There are a ton of videos on youtube. Here is a random one that looks OK that also includes the recipe for one loaf.

Thanks for the video.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »

Bill - Thank you for that video, it made my first experience baking sourdough much better. It filled in a few gaps that I had from The Perfect Loaf recipe/instructions.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »
I made this recipe today.  Came out good.  I wonder if I could do a 48hr ferment (1.5% starter at 65 degrees) like I do my pizza dough and get more flavor?  The long ferment definitely gives better flavor on my pizzas...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:40:05 PM by yarbrough462 »

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
I made this recipe today.  Came out good.  I wonder if I could do a 48hr ferment (1.5% starter at 65 degrees) like I do my pizza dough and get more flavor?  The long ferment definitely gives better flavor on my pizzas...

I would not do that.  I think the dough would end up  very extensible.  A Tartine loaf, because of the high hydration is already somewhat difficult to mange.  Chad Robertson does say that if you want a loaf that is more complex and mildly acidic, you can retard the formed loaf, in its basket in the fridge overnight before baking.  Make sure it is covered with some wrap (I use shower caps) or the entire basket in a plastic bag.

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
I would not do that.  I think the dough would end up  very extensible.  A Tartine loaf, because of the high hydration is already somewhat difficult to mange.  Chad Robertson does say that if you want a loaf that is more complex and mildly acidic, you can retard the formed loaf, in its basket in the fridge overnight before baking.  Make sure it is covered with some wrap (I use shower caps) or the entire basket in a plastic bag.

Thanks Mitch.  I should have mentioned that I did this loaf with an overnight ferment in the fridge.  As far as handling, it was super easy to deal with.  I am used to higher hydration pizza dough and this wasn't any harder to deal with.  I may take the hydration down to 70 and give it a shot.  Worst case, I'm out a couple dollars in flour...

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Thanks Mitch.  I should have mentioned that I did this loaf with an overnight ferment in the fridge.  As far as handling, it was super easy to deal with.  I am used to higher hydration pizza dough and this wasn't any harder to deal with.  I may take the hydration down to 70 and give it a shot.  Worst case, I'm out a couple dollars in flour...

Other ways to change the flavor (& make it stronger) is to use more starter (w less flour/water to compensate) and put in more whole wheat and also some rye.  I have made a lot of SD loaves with, say, 10% whole wheat and 5% rye.  Of course, some go much higher - even all the way with no white flour (good but different bread).
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
yarbrough462,

Here's another video on the Tartine loaf.  He also has other videos on bread making you may like.

Rolls

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
yarbrough462,

Here's another video on the Tartine loaf.  He also has other videos on bread making you may like.

Rolls

Thanks Rolls.  That's a great video.

wordpress