A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone had a local starter barely come alive?  (Read 873 times)

Offline stormholloway

Anyone had a local starter barely come alive?
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »
I've done a local, natural starter to great success, jars bursting open and all. I decided to do one for fun before I get my Ischia going. It's limp as hell. Some bubbling but not a serious rise. Is it possible my apartment is too sterile? It's not underfed or overfed as far as my calculations go. Maybe this flour has a low yeast count? I'm stumped.

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Anyone had a local starter barely come alive?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
Could be your water, or maybe it needs a bit of saliva. :-\
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline Andrea

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
I had the exact same issue with my ischia starter. I decided to use bottled water and even did a side by side test with tap water (by accident, I had intended to use bottled but added the tap water to the first culture on auto-pilot without thinking). 2 jars, same starter, same flour, same temperature. One exploded with vigor, the other showed very little signs of activity. A little online research showed that my water company changed the way they keep water clean about a year earlier and no longer use chlorine, but chloramines and add phosphates. Also, the water hardness changes here in California from season to season, depending on the source of the water. Our current hardness exceeds sour dough culture tolerance levels by 200%...

Offline stormholloway

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
I'm using bottled RO water. I guess I should just fire up one of the cultures I bought.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress