A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hoagies and Sandwiches  (Read 420 times)

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
Hoagies and Sandwiches
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:55:52 PM »
I recently made my first homemade Hoagie bread and a Chopped Cheese. Pictured below is a Hoagie with Everything Seasoning. I am a West Coast boy and am not well-versed with East Coast food culture. I am hoping this thread will enlighten me more about Hoagies, Chopped Cheese, or any other sandwiches.

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hoagies and Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 01:35:53 PM »
I recently made my first homemade Hoagie bread and a Chopped Cheese. Pictured below is a Hoagie with Everything Seasoning. I am a West Coast boy and am not well-versed with East Coast food culture. I am hoping this thread will enlighten me more about Hoagies, Chopped Cheese, or any other sandwiches.

Wow, home run on that bread! Share the recipe for that roll and I will tell you a secret. Maybe two.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »
I am an East coast boy, and i never heard of "Chopped Cheese"  ???

Looks like you used ground beef on your sandwich?

On the east coast we use thinly shaved beef for the meat, (sauteed onions and or green peppers optional) provolone or american cheese slices (cheese wiz is optional), and a bread that has a soft but tough skin on the outside and chewy soft bread inside. A tomato based sauce is optional as well as sliced pickle chips, hot pepper rings, and my favorite is hot cherry peppers, or hot cherry pepper relish (aka hoagie spread)

That just about sums up a east coast cheese steak sandwich. Cheese steak hoagie would have to include raw onions, iceberg lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.( if you add Mayo it's now called a California cheese steak hoagie. LOL

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:21:40 PM by FeCheF »

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 03:03:48 PM »
Hoagie/hero/sub rolls have a tighter crumb too. No real holes in it at all.

I mean your bread looks delicious and I would love to eat a sandwich with it, but if you are going for authentic then it needs to have a tighter crumb.

Otherwise looks great.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:05:30 PM by NYSS »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
I am an East coast boy, and i never heard of "Chopped Cheese"  ???

Looks like you used ground beef on your sandwich?

On the east coast we use thinly shaved beef for the meat, (sauteed onions and or green peppers optional) provolone or american cheese slices (cheese wiz is optional), and a bread that has a soft but tough skin on the outside and chewy soft bread inside. A tomato based sauce is optional as well as sliced pickle chips, hot pepper rings, and my favorite is hot cherry peppers, or hot cherry pepper relish (aka hoagie spread)

That just about sums up a east coast cheese steak sandwich. Cheese steak hoagie would have to include raw onions, iceberg lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.( if you add Mayo it's now called a California cheese steak hoagie. LOL

Chopped cheese is a nyc sandwich. I don't know much about the origin but I guess a few bodegas are known for them. They picked up some traction on the internet a few years ago and use burger as opposed to a Philly cheesesteak. There are lots of how to videos, write ups, and debates on where it was made first and where the best ones are.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 12:19:44 PM »
I was thinking, if you like toppings on your bread, you might like another pretty regional beef sandwich, beef on a weck. This is mostly a Buffalo, NY thing although I've seen it a few other places in western New York. The roll is a Kummelweck roll with salt and caraway seeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
I was thinking, if you like toppings on your bread, you might like another pretty regional beef sandwich, beef on a weck. This is mostly a Buffalo, NY thing although I've seen it a few other places in western New York. The roll is a Kummelweck roll with salt and caraway seeds.

Iíve been dying to try one of those since seeing it on FN 8-9 years ago. After telling them how good these looked, my daughter and son in law had beef on weck on a trip to Buffalo a few years ago. They loved it and were sure I would too.
-Tony

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 03:46:09 PM »
Iíve been dying to try one of those since seeing it on FN 8-9 years ago. After telling them how good these looked, my daughter and son in law had beef on weck on a trip to Buffalo a few years ago. They loved it and were sure I would too.
Like everything, some places do it better than others. I like them with a little horseradish or horseradish sauce.

Used to get to Buffalo a few times a year. Been a while. It's a good eating city.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »

Ive never had a beef on weck, but i suppose its similar to a Hot Beef sandwich. I personally like to shave a braised chuck roast super thin, and pile it on a onion bun, half dipped in the au jus topped with horseradish, sliced dill pickle and sliced onions.
 :drool:

wordpress