A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 301068 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #3240 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »
I definitely intend to eat at Pizzarium.  I am basically going to eat my way through every pizza I can. My family loves pizza too so it is an easy sell...

Chris,

Maybe you can start a thread about your adventures in eating all of those pizzas.  Always nice to see pizzas made in Italy and hear what they taste like.

Norma

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #3241 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:50 AM »
Chris,

Maybe you can start a thread about your adventures in eating all of those pizzas.  Always nice to see pizzas made in Italy and hear what they taste like.

Norma

I think I will. I also work at a local pizzeria every once in a while too so maybe I can throw some of that in there.  I don't get paid but I am learning a ton.  Ironically, this pizzeria makes a style of dough that is close to what I remember of New York pizza.  I am trying to learn as much as possible over here.  I only have two more years...You guys could follow my thread and watch me get fatter. Kinda like one of those weight loss shows but in reverse :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3242 on: November 16, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
I think I will. I also work at a local pizzeria every once in a while too so maybe I can throw some of that in there.  I don't get paid but I am learning a ton.  Ironically, this pizzeria makes a style of dough that is close to what I remember of New York pizza.  I am trying to learn as much as possible over here.  I only have two more years...You guys could follow my thread and watch me get fatter. Kinda like one of those weight loss shows but in reverse :)

Chris,

Sounds great if you could also throw some of the things you do in a local pizzeria in addition to what pizzas look like where you live. Amazing you are learning a ton from working there.  :) Lol about following the thread to maybe watch you get fatter.  I used to eat a lot more pizza but now don't eat much at all anymore.

Norma

Offline Targus8D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3243 on: November 23, 2017, 12:44:53 AM »
Made your dough recipie. 2 day cold ferment, 14" with pepperoni and prosciutto coocked at 550. I'ts not as good looking as what I see posted here regularly. I dont have any fancy equipment like special stones, steels, or ovens.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3244 on: November 23, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »
Made your dough recipie. 2 day cold ferment, 14" with pepperoni and prosciutto coocked at 550. I'ts not as good looking as what I see posted here regularly. I dont have any fancy equipment like special stones, steels, or ovens.

Targus8D,

Your pizza looks very good.  :) Did you like the taste of the pizza? 

Norma

Offline Targus8D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3245 on: November 23, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

Targus8D,

Your pizza looks very good.  :) Did you like the taste of the pizza? 

Norma
Oh ya. I have never had a NY pizza before so I don't know how it compares but to me it tasted great.

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3246 on: November 23, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
It looks very nice, Targus8D. Did you take any shots of the bottom crust and the cross section, like a side view of a slice?

Offline Targus8D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3247 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:10 PM »
It looks very nice, Targus8D. Did you take any shots of the bottom crust and the cross section, like a side view of a slice?
No. I never thought to do that. I will do it next time. I'm not sure how my dough compares with my Canadian flour but it was crunchy with a good chew. I definitely like a puffier rim.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3248 on: November 24, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »
Oh ya. I have never had a NY pizza before so I don't know how it compares but to me it tasted great.

Targus8D,

Glad to hear you liked the taste.

I'm not sure how my dough compares with my Canadian flour but it was crunchy with a good chew. I definitely like a puffier rim.

If you don't mind what kind of Canadian flour did you use?

Norma

Offline Targus8D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3249 on: November 24, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
Targus8D,

Glad to hear you liked the taste.

If you don't mind what kind of Canadian flour did you use?

Norma
Robin Hood all purpose is what I use because it readily available everywhere near me. http://www.robinhood.ca/Products/All-Purpose-Flours/Original-All-Purpose-Flour

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3250 on: November 24, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Robin Hood all purpose is what I use because it readily available everywhere near me. http://www.robinhood.ca/Products/All-Purpose-Flours/Original-All-Purpose-Flour

Targus8D,

Thanks!

Norma

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #3251 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
Chris,

Norma

Norma, I got the thread up here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50346.0

Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3252 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
New customers today.  From left to right Rob, Mike, Warren and Josh.  They purchased 6 pizzas and ate them.  They all were so nice and Bonnie and I got a kick out of what all they had to say.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #3253 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
That sure is nice what they said Norma.  The pie looked good too!  Hope you made it ok today with everything.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3254 on: November 28, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
That sure is nice what they said Norma.  The pie looked good too!  Hope you made it ok today with everything.  Walter

Walter,

I agree it was so nice what the guys said.  They all had me and Bonnie laughing.  They said they heard I have a pizza tattoo.  I said yes.  Then they wanted to see it and take a photo of it.   :-D  Thanks about the pie.  I made it though the day okay.  Was a bummer being sick for awhile.

Norma

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3255 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »
Hey Norma,
How do you get such a nice rise at 0.16 Idy? I have to use at least double that to get a good rise.
Thanks,
George.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3256 on: November 29, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
Hey Norma,
How do you get such a nice rise at 0.16 Idy? I have to use at least double that to get a good rise.
Thanks,
George.

George,

Can get a decent rise because the dough is cold fermented for 2 days and then is warmed up in the heating cabinet, and maybe left out on the bench for longer.  This time of the year at market it gets a little more tricky because it can get very cold where the dough is made.  It isn't heated at all at market at this time of the year.  This past Sunday it was only about 50 degrees F at market when mixing the doughs with two little heaters on.  I should have added a little more IDY.  The doughs in the morning Tuesday didn't have as much rim rise as the doughs did in the afternoon and evening. 

Norma

Offline Targus8D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3257 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:29 PM »
George,

Can get a decent rise because the dough is cold fermented for 2 days and then is warmed up in the heating cabinet, and maybe left out on the bench for longer.  This time of the year at market it gets a little more tricky because it can get very cold where the dough is made.  It isn't heated at all at market at this time of the year.  This past Sunday it was only about 50 degrees F at market when mixing the doughs with two little heaters on.  I should have added a little more IDY.  The doughs in the morning Tuesday didn't have as much rim rise as the doughs did in the afternoon and evening. 

Norma
How long do you usually let the dough sit out after the cold fermentation?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3258 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
How long do you usually let the dough sit out after the cold fermentation?

Targus8D,

It all depends on how much time there is to warm up the dough balls.  First thing in the morning some are put on the bench and some in the heating cabinet.  Start the day with the ones that have been in the heating cabinet for over an hour.  Switch the ones that have been on the bench into the heating cabinet, and then all day long keep getting dough balls out of the prep fridge and deli case and keep putting them in the heating cabinet.  The heating cabinet isn't really big (and Sicilian doughs in pans also have to be proofed in there), so it is kinda like a juggling act to try to balance everything all day long.  It helps to know how to open dough balls no matter what stage they are in the fermenting process.

Since the dough balls are in plastic bags it doesn't take them as long to heat up as when in a plastic dough boxes. 

I know my methods aren't ideal but there isn't much else that could be done with the limited space at market.

Norma

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3259 on: December 01, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Hmm interesting so it all comes down to letting them proof a bit before use. I usually have them in aluminum tins for about 30-50 mins before use. Sometimes I use them straight out of the fridge depending on if it's slow or not. So basically less yeast can be used if the dough is at room temp basically before used. But if cold dough is used it's better practice to have a bit more yeast.