A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakers Pride Compact Oven - M02T find  (Read 982 times)

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Bakers Pride Compact Oven - M02T find
« on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
Well, I'm happy to report my new pizza oven seems to be running great - all three elements glowing red and thermostat seems to be OK. This is an oven that is almost 30 years old and it still works great - I find that amazing. It is the 220 v model so hoping it does a good job - it came up to 350 degrees in about 5 min and has a max of 700 degrees. Making dough tomorrow for its maiden voyage......

PS. if anyone knows where I can find copies of any documents or manuals for it, pls let me know.....
Norm

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
Re: Bakers Pride Compact Oven - M02T find
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
Nice oven,  I had the same model, but the 120 volt version years ago.  This has the manual for the p series, which is the replacement, though IIRC, the specs are about the same.  http://www.bakerspride.com/specs/Instal%20ops/Counter%20Top/ECT%20Inst-Op%20U4008A%201-08.pdf   

On mine, the performance was slow - it took a long time to heat up, though mainly because it was 600 watts per element, you have one 800 and two 1000 watt elements.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
Thanks Barry - I did find all the P doc's, I'm amazed about the total lack of information online on the earlier M02T model I have. I'm sure the newer "P" schematic is pretty close but I wonder if the parts (like the coils and thermostat) are interchangeable?

I think mine matches up with the P18S-2 - at least the power matches - 850 for the top coil and 1K for the two elements under it. Hope it cooks OK - even if it does not do a great job with a NY style I'm sure it would be good for pan pizza, pretzels - stuff like that....

Did you ever disassemble yours - I'm wondering what is behind the back panel, besides possibly, a lethal dose of asbestos :-)

Thanks for posting the info - I really appreciate it - hope you have a great thanksgiving holiday with your friends / family.
Norm

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
On mine, the performance was slow - it took a long time to heat up

I had a couple of these as well.  It'd take over an hour to get them up over 650, but some of our problem might have been weak electricity being sent to it.  We ultimately sold them for $100 ea and bought Blackstones.
--pat--

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
When you say weak electricity - do you mean 120 vice 220 (aka, 125 vice 250V). Or do you mean you had too long an extension cord or possibly used an extension cord with too thin a gauge wire?

I'll post here after I bake with it and post the pies as well. I have owned a BS and it cook a great pie (and, IMO, is the most oven for the buck) - but it did cook much differently compared to either home gas or home electric ovens - it will be interesting to see how this one cooks....
Norm

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
It was 120V.  We were using them at a campground, and the wiring to the central location was done 60 years ago and was only intended to power half a dozen light bulbs.  The owner was actually surprised that we weren't constantly popping the 20A fuses (that's right, fuses), as each oven was supposedly pulling 17 amps.
--pat--

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
OK, I understand now - for me (in a home setting), even if it takes 2 hours to get up to 6 or 700 degrees it would be OK - heck my home oven preheats for 2 plus hours before I cook pizza - and it only gets up to 580. BS on wheels sounds a lot more user friendly at a campground :-)
Norm

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »
Since it is working great I decide to spend some extra time cleaning it up - oven door before and after sanding with oiled 600 grit sandpaper. Rusty hinges and bushings will take a bit more time....
Norm

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Nice work on the door.  Mine actually did a good job on a NY pizza, though I bought 1 inch stones, and it took forever to warm up, and my guess is reheat times would be pretty long.

Actually, I  think I did take off the back at some point.  As best I recall, it was pretty basic - each of the elements had two connectors at the rear, and a wire ran to each.  I can't recall, but I think I was checking to see if I could put separate switches for the top and bottom elements, and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

As it gets colder, I tend to think about electric ovens, but I did get a BS, and the heat output is just not comparable in any way to the 120 volt version.  You have a ton more watts, so it will probably work fine, and I really liked the width of the stones, you can make a nice sized pie.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 04:39:43 AM »
Thanks for the info Barry - I will pop the back door off and take a peek. I think if I spent more time on the door I could remove all the scratches but a few give it some character  :-D

PS. I spent so much time messing with it yesterday I forgot to make my dough. You would think working on a pizza oven would have reminded me  :P
Norm

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
I did find a photo I took with the back off -    I had plenty of scratches, and a fair amount of rust on mine, yours looks perfect in comparison.   

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
Wow, thanks - can't wait to take the back off mine. I hope I have the willpower to not hook up a few big relays and stick in a few thermocouples attached to an Arduino  :-D
Norm

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Nice score Norm! Can't wait to see your maiden voyage with this. Will it fit an 18" pie?

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Nope  :( - But it was so cheap I figured it would be fun to try and it is a second oven or I could sell it later.. I still have not made my dough - still cleaning the oven up....

Hope you had a good holiday  :)

PS. but it will fit a 17 inch - so at least that is some progress :-)

Norm

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »

PS. but it will fit a 17 inch - so at least that is some progress :-)

:-D  close enough!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
Congratulations!

I'm positive you'll love it once you got to know the oven. Might have to adjust your formulas, though.  ;D
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
Nice find.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
Have you cooked with this oven yet?

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »
Nope - just testing everything and cleaning everything - a table for it should arrive Friday  - I plan to cook my first pie then....

One of the stones before and after 15 min on my grill at 900 degrees. Much cleaner now,

So much material corroded away on the bushing and door hinge bars I ordered new ones to verify the correct tolerances and compare values with the old ones using my calipers.
Norm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
Norm,

Great job on everything with your new oven! 

Norma