A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Shakey's Cheese real ingredients  (Read 13985 times)

Offline Zing

Re: Shakey's Cheese real ingredients
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
At one Shakey's recently, a carton was spotted indicating there is a custom blend being made for the stores. The cheese carton apparently reads something like "Made for Shakey's Inc." and "Keep Refrigerated" There is no list of ingredients on the box. The cheese is packed in plastic bags, and the bags either have printing or a label on them. That is the most my friends could get.

This post of mine from March 1, 2012 may not be correct. My neighbor informed me he recently spoke with a kitchen employee at a corporate-owned Shakey's and learned they are currently using a frozen cheese that they defrost for a few days before using. The Leprino frozen cheese I bought about a year ago does not have the same taste profile as the cheese used by the present corporate locations. But I don't know of anyone else but Leprino selling a frozen cheese that remains soft after cooling off. I recall reading that Shakey's went to 100% whole milk mozzarella about the time Jacmar rested control of the Shakey's chain, but I can't place whether that was before or after elsegundo's seminal post of November 22, 2005.

Blending in other cheeses with the Assoluti cheese did not provide an exact match, either. Maybe the great taste of that cheese comes from one of the International Flavors and Fragrances plants in New Jersey.

Offline Zing

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Tonight I had a 'Eureka!' moment. In the back of the freezer I found some slices of frozen Godfathers cheese pizza that must have been there for 3-4 months. I defrosted them for several hours, then put on some of the foodservice pepperoni that Wegman's is selling in their in-store café.

After baking them, I took a bite. Tasted really close to Shakey's. I originally did a freezing-then-reheating experiment which I described in my post of March 28, 2014, above. But this time, with a different batch frozen for a far longer period of time, the taste jumped out at me. The texture of the cheese was like Shakey's, which is different from conventional LMWM mozzarella after freezing.

Jet_deck did get a photo of the box the Godfather's pizza cheese comes in; it is found in this post of his:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12806.msg124446#msg124446

For logistical reasons, all of the Shakey's  pizza samples I get are frozen. It would be great if someone who has access to both Godfather's and Shakey's fresh pizza were to taste the cheeses side to side.

Offline Zing

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
The enclosed photograph was taken on January 15, 2018. It is of a cardboard box the pizza cheese used by Golden Corral comes in. Right now, the cheese used by Godfather's and Golden Corral is the closest to the pizza cheese currently used by Shakey's corporate restaurants that I have found. There were labels on each end of the box, but they were ripped off. It is, of course, Leprino Quality Locked Cheese. The letter T on the box probably means it was produced in Tracy, California.

If you search for <Golden Corral Pizza> on Google Images, you will find many pictures of the pizza made at and served in Golden Corral restaurants. The cheese looks and tastes very similar to the cheese on the Shakey's pizza samples I receive from California.

Others here have documented that this is NOT the cheese that Shakey's used back in the day.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress