Pages:
Actions
  • #881 by vcb on 29 Nov 2021
  • How do people slice the mozzarella?  I used a mozzarella ball and I found it hard to cut into thin slices.  Is there a trick to this, do you get the store to slice it, or are there other ways to do this?

When slicing a block or one of those 1 pound cylinder shaped chunks of mozz, I use a plastic cheese knife originally invented to cut velveeta blocks.

They're a little more expensive than they used to be, but it's worth the $ if you're slicing a lot of cheese.

https://www.thecheeseknife.com/
  • #882 by Garvey on 30 Nov 2021
  • I buy pre-sliced or use the food processor (put cheese in freezer for 20-30 mins beforehand to make slicing easier)
  • #883 by smilergrogan on 03 Dec 2021
  • So, Iíve been ghosting around on this board for a couple of months and I have become obsessed. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and fell in love with the ďsuburban thin crustĒ fav pizza joint is Dondiís in Arlington Heights. Iíve been in L.A. now for 25 years and yes the pizza sucks. Iíve been making my own thin crust pizza for years using 100% Swans Down cake flour. Itís kinda a Chicago, NY hybrid and itís really good. But, thatís for another post.

I had to try the deep dish. So, after traveling the maze of recipes I jumped in using Edís recipe as a guide. I wanted solid ground to start. My first attempt was a 10Ē in a cast iron skillet and it rocked my world. It was like I was back at Louís.

So, I was bragging it up to my son and family. I invited them over to taste the greatness and took out my 36-year-old 14Ē deep dish pan I got as a gift in í85. I think I used it once. I wanted a BIG pie.

It was a complete disaster. I ended up putting 2 lbs of cheese. Mozz/Provolone, 1 1/2 lbs of sausage, and 2 fully drained 28oz cans of tomatoes! WTF was I thinking! Itís a big pan and it looked right? Cooked it, on a stone, at 450 for 35 min. Looked done but the pie broke in two as I tried to dismount from the pan. Hot lava cheese all over the counter. We smashed it back together and I was so disappointed.

So, yesterday I had to try again. My wife thought I was nuts. Same dough recipe. 1 lb of Boars head mozzarella, 1 lb sausage, and 20 oz sauce - by volume. It worked! I drove half the pizza over to my son's house for dinner. I canít wait to do this again. This forum is nuts and Iím loving it.  Butter flavored Crisco! I could get arrested in this town with this stuff. Thanks, Ed, BTB, Garvey, Peter, Pythonic, and everybody for all the dedication and advice. I feel the brotherhood.

Looking forward to the next bake.

Rob
  • #884 by vcb on 03 Dec 2021
  • So, Iíve been ghosting around on this board for a couple of months and I have become obsessed. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and fell in love with the ďsuburban thin crustĒ fav pizza joint is Dondiís in Arlington Heights. Iíve been in L.A. now for 25 years and yes the pizza sucks. Iíve been making my own thin crust pizza for years using 100% Swans Down cake flour. Itís kinda a Chicago, NY hybrid and itís really good. But, thatís for another post.

I had to try the deep dish. So, after traveling the maze of recipes I jumped in using Edís recipe as a guide. I wanted solid ground to start. My first attempt was a 10Ē in a cast iron skillet and it rocked my world. It was like I was back at Louís.

So, I was bragging it up to my son and family. I invited them over to taste the greatness and took out my 36-year-old 14Ē deep dish pan I got as a gift in í85. I think I used it once. I wanted a BIG pie.

It was a complete disaster. I ended up putting 2 lbs of cheese. Mozz/Provolone, 1 1/2 lbs of sausage, and 2 fully drained 28oz cans of tomatoes! WTF was I thinking! Itís a big pan and it looked right? Cooked it, on a stone, at 450 for 35 min. Looked done but the pie broke in two as I tried to dismount from the pan. Hot lava cheese all over the counter. We smashed it back together and I was so disappointed.

So, yesterday I had to try again. My wife thought I was nuts. Same dough recipe. 1 lb of Boars head mozzarella, 1 lb sausage, and 20 oz sauce - by volume. It worked! I drove half the pizza over to my son's house for dinner. I canít wait to do this again. This forum is nuts and Iím loving it.  Butter flavored Crisco! I could get arrested in this town with this stuff. Thanks, Ed, BTB, Garvey, Peter, Pythonic, and everybody for all the dedication and advice. I feel the brotherhood.

Looking forward to the next bake.

Rob

2 pounds of cheese, 1.5 lbs of sausage, and 2 drained 28oz cans of tomatoes for a 14" ?
    Yeah, that's a little too much & definitely gonna be pizza soup if you're only baking for 35 minutes.
    I do minimum 40 minutes for a 14 inch deep dish. The bigger pizzas need more time, and probably a slightly lower bake temp (425 to 435) to keep the bottom from burning while cooking, especially if you're loading up the pan with toppings. Glad to hear the 2nd attempt came out better.
  • #885 by mrmattp on 24 Jan 2022
  • Totally new to pizza making but always wanted to make Lou's classic sausage pizza at home. Plus retiring somewhere warm is in our future but can't live without lou's. LOL

Equipment:  Chicago Steel 14 pizza pan   Cast Elegance Thermarite  14x16  stone   Kitchen Aid mixer with dough hook   Laser temperature reader

I believe this is a version of BTB's recipe but I did make some changes along the way. I did not have a scale at the time so I used a conversion tool for the first batch.  I did use the "long fermentation 24-48 hour (refrigerator process) and I used olive oil in the pan. I may use all chefs flour next time but it's a little pricey. Maybe KAAP?

Llink to the conversion program that may help those without a scale.

https://www.howmany.wiki/wv/--cup----semolina------gram

So here it is.........

Louís Crust      9inch                    14 inch   cups
    Ceresota AP - 95% - 175g            263g    2.0 c         1 cup AP (target brand  Hey it's what I had in the pantry) and 1 Cup Coputo Chefs flour Tipo 00
    Semolina - 5% - 10g                     20g    1/4 c         Granoro Semolina Flour
    Water - 46% - 85g                       170g    3/4                                     
    Corn Oil - 19% - 35g                      70g    1/3
    Olive Oil- 4% - 7g                          14g    1/8
    Salt - less than 1/8 tsp Kosher                 1/4 tsp
    Sugar - 1/4 tsp                                       1/2 tsp
    IDY - 1/4 tsp                                          1/2 tsp     Fleishmanís bread machine Instant Yeast

Mix all dry ingredients minus the yeast in a separate bowl.
    In Stand mixer bowl add room temp water and salt. Stir to dissolve salt
    Add roughly 10% of your flour mixture and beat with a whisk to a batter like consistency.
    Add yeast mix it again to dissolve the yeast.
    Use dough hook and add the remaining dry ingredients.
    If the dough is a little scrappy and not fully formed. Use your hands to form and/or add a tad of water if necessary.
    With dough hook now add the oil and incorporate fully into dough.
    Either via dough hook or hand kneed for a couple of minutes and put into an oiled bowl,
    cover (saran) and put into oven with the light on for 5hrs.
                                                                    *OR*
    Allow dough to rest at room temp for 1 -2 hours then into the fridge for 24 to 48 hours. Allow to come to room temp 1 Ė 2 hours before using.

Put pizza stone in oven at 450 and wait until stone comes up to temp in center. I use a laser temperature reader that you can purchase from harbor freight, amazon, etcÖ for not much money.

Add butter flavored Crisco or olive oil to pan and rub into the bottom and sides.
    Place dough in pan and press it out

Add ingredients in this order. Low moisture Mozz 1 lb sliced,  Sausage (very little fennel) 1 lb,  1.5 cups chunky tomatoes.  Dust with romano and parm blend.
    Bake for 15 minutes then spin 180 and bake for another 15 minutes
    Let it cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

Cheese: was hand sliced from Sams club 5lb Mozzerrlla Worked out fine
    Sausage:  My father-in-law makes homemade pork sausage and only uses garlic and salt/pepper. I know a true lous has no fennel, but we like the taste so I used 50 50 Family made and the mild from a Chicago land store that makes their own (Angelo Caputos).  It was a very tasty blend and the fennel very subtle. The Mrs. Said she could not tell the difference from the restaurant version.
    Tomatoes - Alessi san marzano (Caputos as well). I did add a touch of onion and garlic powder. Just a touch. Squeezed them into smaller pieces and used some of the juice. Not much.
    Parm/ remano blend dusted on top before baking (Caputos special blend)

My wife said she could not tell the difference. I grew up near the original Lincolnwood location, and have been enjoying Lou's since the early 80's. Cracking the code was fun and delicious thanks to the dedicated members of this site. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • #886 by Cartersauce11 on 01 Jul 2022
  • This is about my 10th go at it, with most being very similar. I started with BTBís formulation to the T, but started getting lazy while also tweaking little things here and there. Not sure if any changes there have made a significant difference. Itís been a while since Iíve had a Lous and Iím starting to forget what it tastes like to compare.

The biggest difference Iíve noticed is when I change my fermentation and cooking techniques. This one pictured was straight into the fridge for about a 24 hr ferment. Placed on top of preheating oven for an hour before cooking because I didnít plan ahead. Oven at 500F, placed on bottom rack with foil sheet on the middle rack(wouldnít do again the tomatoes and sausage didnít cook as well it seemed?). Cooked in a 12Ē cast iron skillet for about 30 min. Sausage was a tad undercooked.

The crust had decent flavor. Will try a longer ferment next time and perhaps no semolina. Thank you BTB.
Pages:
Actions