A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 249551 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
That looks amazing, Timmur!  I'm gonna hafta make that meatball!  Thanks for posting!

Offline timmur

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #901 on: November 04, 2020, 10:09:13 PM »
That looks amazing, Timmur!  I'm gonna hafta make that meatball!  Thanks for posting!
Thank you! Thanks to you I got to make some really great Chicago thin! Post pics if you take a run at a meatball pizza! BTW, we made so many meatball bombers after that batch; Italian meatball overload! Checkout . I haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna give it a go! if you don't wanna watch the video, they have a recipe link in the description.

Offline NikoBravo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #902 on: November 18, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
Well I received all my materials this weekend and put them to work right away.

Used a quick dough recipe that I've used for years. Nothing scientific or precise, but seems to always turn out the way it should.  Sauce was also fairly easy to prep.  Just used some Johnsonville Italian ground sausage they had at commissary over here, partially cooked it before topping the pie.  Everything tasted like I was back home in Illinois.

Offline Kathilliana

• Chicago thin crust is THE valid pizza.
« Reply #903 on: December 16, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
Life got busy since the last time I posted.

I did try on of the sausage recipes, and we were really pleased.

I just purchased my first ever Kitchenaid, and will start attempting dough, for the first time in my life, early next year.

I love this forum. I wish I could play here more often!

Offline Gags

« Reply #904 on: January 01, 2021, 04:20:21 PM »
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted, but that doesn't mean I stopped making pizza! 

Recently, a coworker was reminiscing over Chicago thin crust and as a native New Yorker, I admit I never had it.  So of course I came to the Pizza Forum to investigate and saw the popularity of Garvey’s work!!  Thank you much to Garvey for the great recipes – for both the dough and the sauce. 

I followed the first recipe (not knowing about the no-knead version until yesterday) and did a 72-hour ferment.  The dough was a little tough to roll out and stay at 14”, so I performed several cycles of roll, relax 5 mins, lift, reflour underneath, repeat…that seemed to do the trick.  I also trimmed the edges with a pizza cutter to get a fresh, square edge as recommended in Gemignani’s Bible.  (I used a 14” mesh as a template and you may see the indentation in the dough skin picture.)  The sauce seemed odd to me given the paste base and the abundance of herbs, but I put my trust in Garvey.  I also appreciate the cheese portioning advice – that was the perfect amount!

Regarding toppings, I was going to do 1 pepperoni and 1 sausage, but opted instead for two pepperoni pizzas.  I know, I know, sausage is sacred to Chicago so I’m not helping reduce any Chicago vs New York friction.  Next time, I promise!

I baked directly on my fire bricks and it looked great.  I did have a couple of large bubbles forming but just knocked them down with the pizza cutter.  I let them cool on the mesh for about 10 minutes then tried a square cut a cutting pan. 

Upon tasting, I agree that this recipe is a home run!  The sauce is killer and the pizza texture is really cool – some crispy, some chewy, depending on what piece you take.  Super fun pizza for sure!  The only drawback I could find was that the small slice size and thinness sneak up on you and you find yourself always going back for “just one more piece!”

Love this recipe and will definitely make this again!!  Thanks again Garvey!!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:24:56 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Garvey

« Reply #905 on: January 01, 2021, 11:59:43 PM »
Haha!  Yes!  The “one more piece” thing is so true.

Glad the recipe worked out for you.  Great write-up and pix! 

Cheers!

Offline Gags

« Reply #906 on: January 02, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
Haha!  Yes!  The “one more piece” thing is so true.

Glad the recipe worked out for you.  Great write-up and pix! 

Cheers!

Today, one day after bake, I just heated up 6, no wait, make that 7, oh hold on...there's room for one more...that'll be 8 on my square skillet.
This is highly addictive stuff!!  Thank you again!!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Garvey

« Reply #907 on: May 08, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
Sausage mushroom.  Naturally leavened Pizza Factory.

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #908 on: May 08, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »
Sausage mushroom.  Naturally leavened Pizza Factory.

I'm drooling.  You really know how to torture a Chicago expat mom (living in CA for over 40 years now) on Mother's Day Eve!  What do you mean by "naturally leavened"?  Mickey
-mickey

Offline Garvey

« Reply #909 on: May 08, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
I'm drooling.  You really know how to torture a Chicago expat mom (living in CA for over 40 years now) on Mother's Day Eve!  What do you mean by "naturally leavened"? 

Expat here, too, which is why I roll my own!

Instead of using commercial yeast, I used a starter that I cultured myself ("sourdough"...but this wasn't sour due to how it's handled).

Offline pitpat17

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #910 on: August 10, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
I've lurked here for years but had to join after nailing some PIZZA FACTORY!  I've made this a handful of times, but tried the no-knead version this time, and it was the best!  I scaled the recipe up for 3x250g dough balls, balled after 24 hours, and left in the fridge for 72 hours total.  Sauce and bake per the recipe.  Muenster for the cheese.  Did one with Boar's head pepperoni, an Italian sausage + banana pepper (my fav), and a cherry tomato + garlic.

I grew up eating this style of pizza in the Chicago suburbs and it's always been my go-to comfort food, but it wasn't until tonight that I finally cracked the code on it!  Little blisters on the crust, perfect snap to it, just perfect.  Thanks a bunch Garvey and all you lovely pizza people who've posted here!  :chef:

Offline lesagemike

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #911 on: September 02, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »
its a favorite style of mine too, that looks really great!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #912 on: September 03, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
I've lurked here for years but had to join after nailing some PIZZA FACTORY!  I've made this a handful of times, but tried the no-knead version this time, and it was the best!  I scaled the recipe up for 3x250g dough balls, balled after 24 hours, and left in the fridge for 72 hours total.  Sauce and bake per the recipe.  Muenster for the cheese.  Did one with Boar's head pepperoni, an Italian sausage + banana pepper (my fav), and a cherry tomato + garlic.

I grew up eating this style of pizza in the Chicago suburbs and it's always been my go-to comfort food, but it wasn't until tonight that I finally cracked the code on it!  Little blisters on the crust, perfect snap to it, just perfect.  Thanks a bunch Garvey and all you lovely pizza people who've posted here!  :chef:
Fantastic! Wish I had seen it closer to when you posted this. Hope you will hang around and continue to contribute to the forum.
-Tony