A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hayden Mills 00 Pizza Flour  (Read 340 times)

Offline NoSlices

• I Love Pizza!
Hayden Mills 00 Pizza Flour
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
Hayden Mills makes a 00 pizza flour now, I am trying it for the first time. I have a small oven but have have been making my pies on a baking steel using a NY-style dough (some olive oil and sugar in addition to flour, yeast, salt) and the results have been good. I normally do a cold ferment in the fridge for 3 days. My hydration level is around 67% when I use bread flour, but have had success taking it down to 65% with Caputo 00, so that's what I did in this case. 

I'm a little worried about this flour though, I have noticed the rise doesn't seem to be as much from the dough thus far (day 2) as it normally is. I also have read that the other Hayden Mills flours (although nothing specifically about their 00 one) require more hydration, not less, when my assumption is that normally 00 flours, since they are more finely milled, do better with 65%, not something like 67 or 68.

Has anyone used this flour before? Any advice?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Hayden Mills 00 Pizza Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
Is this the flour you bought?

http://www.haydenflourmills.com/shop/white-sonora-type-00-flour

If so, please post the ingredients.  Looking for 2 things in particular:

- if there is any "malt" or "malted barley" in the flour.  there will be a list of ingredients (even if it just says wheat).  Let us know what it says.

BTW, you are likely noticing difficulty browning your pizza with the Caputo and/or it is getting too touch/crunchy if you do get it brown.  There is no malt in it and that is needed.  The flour is really designed for an oven that runs at 800 degrees or more (wood fired oven).  You may be compensating for it with sugar but you will just be better off with the bread flour.

- the amount of protein.  Usually it will tell you the number of grams in a serving  and the number of grams of protein.  It says "pastry" flour which could mean the protein is too low for pizza.

A photo of the label could work fine, too.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
NoSlices,

If you go to the flour source document at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.0, and go to the Hayden Flour Mills entry, you will find that Hayden has several flours, including a pizza flour.

Peter

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
Peter:

The links take you to the Hayden Mills website, same place I went to and for which I provided the link.  The only flour I saw that said 00 was the one I linked.  It says in the description that can be used for pizza. 

I am skeptical given it is described as Pastry Flour.

Please let me know if you think I missed something.  Thanks.
Mitch

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Peter:

The links take you to the Hayden Mills website, same place I went to and for which I provided the link.  The only flour I saw that said 00 was the one I linked.  It says in the description that can be used for pizza. 

I am skeptical given it is described as Pastry Flour.

Please let me know if you think I missed something.  Thanks.
Mitch,

I think you are fine. I tend to agree with you that a flour called Pastry Flour may have a protein content that is too low for pizza, especially when the bag says that the flour is for cookies, cakes and pasta. But the best way to find out how well it does for pizza is to give it a try but keep the hydration on the low side.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
What nobody has mentioned yet is that the "00" term refers to how fine the flour is ground/milled. It has nothing to do, whatsoever, with the protein content.

The flour shown is a pastry flour, ground very fine, and that might be the culprit for the lack of rise. Don't use it for pizza. It lacks strength for any pizza application. 

Look for the Caputo Blue/Pizzeria 00.  Or stick with the Caputo you already have used, with good results apparently.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:56 PM »
$60 for 10lbs of flour? These fools have lost their minds.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
$60 for 10lbs of flour? These fools have lost their minds.

Must be veeeegan-ish, yoga-infused Hipster flour... :-\
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline NoSlices

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »
Is this the flour you bought?

http://www.haydenflourmills.com/shop/white-sonora-type-00-flour

Thanks everyone, it is very strange because the variety I have isn't on the site, it's a "Pizza Flour" but also specifies "00." It's not the pastry flour. The box is the same color as the pizza flour on the website. I can't seem to find any information about it online. The ingredients are only listed as "White Sonoran Flour and Hard Red Spring Flour." Nothing about malt. I doubt it will be worth the money, but I'll see how it goes. I luckily have a batch with bread flour as a backup going. The rise is a little better now--it's not terrible, just not nearly as much as with other flours.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »
Thanks everyone, it is very strange because the variety I have isn't on the site, it's a "Pizza Flour" but also specifies "00." It's not the pastry flour. The box is the same color as the pizza flour on the website. I can't seem to find any information about it online. The ingredients are only listed as "White Sonoran Flour and Hard Red Spring Flour." Nothing about malt. I doubt it will be worth the money, but I'll see how it goes. I luckily have a batch with bread flour as a backup going. The rise is a little better now--it's not terrible, just not nearly as much as with other flours.

If the only ingredient is flour then it is unmalted and you have a good chance of having browning problems in a home oven - especially if you don’t adjust your recipe by adding malt or more sugar. 

Isn’t there a nutrition information box.?  We may be able to guess at the protein or you may want to call them.
Mitch

wordpress