A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1022393 times)

bobgraff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #11120 on: January 20, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
Tim that mortadella pie you make always catches my eye, I am going to have to try that one out.  Very yummy all of those pies  :drool:
^^^ - I really need to try mortadella - fantastic work as always Tim  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11121 on: January 20, 2018, 08:48:24 AM »
Thanks Norm and Hermit. It’s a good pie, kind of like eating a pizza and a sandwich at the same time.
Tim

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11122 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »
What are the bakers percents and fermentation method on this pie? Beautiful stuff!

Las night's leftover Pizza  :drool:

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #11123 on: January 20, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
Small 12" four cheese pie...

Nice, Mike!  :chef:    Which cheeses are you liking these days?  I tried some aged gouda with some WMLM mozz and fresh mozz on a recent pie and kinda liked it.
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11124 on: January 20, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »
Nice, Mike!  :chef:    Which cheeses are you liking these days?  I tried some aged gouda with some WMLM mozz and fresh mozz on a recent pie and kinda liked it.

Jeff,

That was a combo of gouda, fresh Galbani mozzarella, fontina and pecorino romano.

The original from Italy consists of mozzarella, gorgonzola, stracchino and parmesan. I used what I had and it worked pretty well.

To make it a true cheese experience, forgo the sauce.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11125 on: January 21, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
Well, I did my first bake in the GP-61 last night. Full story on the oven here:   

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50540.msg508350#msg508350

I'm OK with how the pies turned out since it was my first bake but there were problems with way too much bottom heat. That 150 pounds of stone really cooks FAST - felt like the surface of the sun. Plus, I think the oven is running 40-50 degrees hot.

For the next bake I'm going to drop it down 50 degrees and cut the LDM and or sugar out of my recipe. I think that will do it but, if not, I'm sure by the third bake I will have it under control.

The two things I noticed that I really liked:
(1) Ignoring the abundant char on the bottom, the crust had a crunch and texture that I have never been able to create with my various home setups - it really reminded me of a good pizza shop crust - that is a big deal since texture, taste and balance are the three most important things to me.
(2) The cheese on my pie was boiling when I took it out of the oven - and I mean vigorously boiling like the water in a pot on a stove - and it kept boiling for 10 seconds after I pulled the pie out of the oven. My wife was standing next to me and excitedly said - hey - look at that -- the top of the pizza is boiling! I have never seen that before, at least not that I can remember. Maybe my sauce is not thick enough or maybe the new cheese mix I used caused it (which was the best I have ever tasted).

OK, vegan garbage pie for my wife and plain old extra cheese test pizza for me - I'm excited to dial it back ~50 degrees and have at it again  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:30:34 AM by norcoscia »
Norm

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #11126 on: January 21, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
 :o I think I really am speechless Norm!
Matt

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11127 on: January 21, 2018, 07:53:27 AM »
Thanks, Matt, I ate pizza for dinner and got up twice during the night and had a slice each time - unfortunately -- that did not cause me to dream about pizza  :-D
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #11128 on: January 21, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »

I'm OK with how the pies turned out since it was my first bake but there were problems with way too much bottom heat. That 150 pounds of stone really cooks FAST - felt like the surface of the sun. Plus, I think the oven is running 40-50 degrees hot.

For the next bake I'm going to drop it down 50 degrees and cut the LDM and or sugar out of my recipe. I think that will do it but, if not, I'm sure by the third bake I will have it under control.

(1) Ignoring the abundant char, the crust had a crunch and texture that I have never been able to create with my various home setups - it really reminded me of a good pizza shop crust - that is a big deal since texture, taste and balance are the three most important things to me.
(2) The cheese on my pie was boiling when I took it out of the oven - and I mean vigorously boiling like the water in a pot on a stove - and it kept boiling for 10 seconds after I pulled the pie out of the oven. My wife was standing next to me and excitedly said - hay - look at that -- the top of the pizza is boiling! I have never seen that before, at least not that I can remember. Maybe my sauce is not thick enough or maybe the new cheese mix I used caused it (which was the best I have ever tasted).

OK, vegan garbage pie for my wife and plain old extra cheese test pizza for me - I'm exited to dial it back ~50 degrees and have at it again  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Nice work. Looks great. Congratulations
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11129 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »

(1) Ignoring the abundant char, the crust had a crunch and texture that I have never been able to create with my various home setups - it really reminded me of a good pizza shop crust - that is a big deal since texture, taste and balance are the three most important things to me.
(2) The cheese on my pie was boiling when I took it out of the oven - and I mean vigorously boiling like the water in a pot on a stove - and it kept boiling for 10 seconds after I pulled the pie out of the oven. My wife was standing next to me and excitedly said - hay - look at that -- the top of the pizza is boiling! I have never seen that before, at least not that I can remember. Maybe my sauce is not thick enough or maybe the new cheese mix I used caused it (which was the best I have ever tasted).

OK, vegan garbage pie for my wife and plain old extra cheese test pizza for me - I'm exited to dial it back ~50 degrees and have at it again  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Hell yes! Awesome work, Norm!

It only gets better from here on out.  ;D
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11130 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
Thanks, Mike, thanks, DS - it has been fun re-working and hooking up the oven - now looking forward to even more fun making pizza  :pizza:
Norm

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #11131 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Thanks, Mike, thanks, DS - it has been fun re-working and hooking up the oven - now looking forward to even more fun making pizza  :pizza:
How does the deck oven experience differ from a regular oven?

Edit: I read your previous post.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:12:56 AM by Minolta Rokkor »

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #11132 on: January 21, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »

(1) Ignoring the abundant char on the bottom, the crust had a crunch and texture that I have never been able to create with my various home setups - it really reminded me of a good pizza shop crust - that is a big deal since texture, taste and balance are the three most important things to me.
(2) The cheese on my pie was boiling when I took it out of the oven - and I mean vigorously boiling like the water in a pot on a stove - and it kept boiling for 10 seconds after I pulled the pie out of the oven. My wife was standing next to me and excitedly said - hey - look at that -- the top of the pizza is boiling! I have never seen that before, at least not that I can remember. Maybe my sauce is not thick enough or maybe the new cheese mix I used caused it (which was the best I have ever tasted).

OK, vegan garbage pie for my wife and plain old extra cheese test pizza for me - I'm excited to dial it back ~50 degrees and have at it again  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Awesome awesome awesome pies and progress on getting that oven ready for her debut Norm!  :drool:
Legit!

What you say about the texture and pie still boiling out of the oven sounds spot on to me. I've had conversations with Harry about how a deck oven pie is still scalding hot 5 minutes out of the oven,  where as one off my stone is nearly cold by then. It's what motivated me to start experimenting with cooked sauces. Especially with my screen bakes where I notice it takes half the bake for the sauce to even start boiling!

Can't wait to see more!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11133 on: January 21, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Thanks, Ryan - yep, if I did not see it with my own eyes I would not have believed it possible - what amazed me the most is how hard it was boiling - you could hear it. I so want to cook another one with the bottom dialed in and stuff my mouth with it.

My biggest fear now is - in 3 months none of my cloths will fit  :-D
Norm

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #11134 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
Thanks, Ryan - yep, if I did not see it with my own eyes I would not have believed it possible - what amazed me the most is how hard it was boiling - you could hear it.

Norm, can you post a video of this?

Matt

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11135 on: January 21, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »
Next time - no video from last night  :'(

That is assuming it boils with the oven down 50 degrees - I have a feeling it will since it will be in longer at the lower temp.

Wondering if dropping my cell phone into a boiling pizza is covered under my apple care  :-D
Norm

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #11136 on: January 21, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
Thanks, Ryan - yep, if I did not see it with my own eyes I would not have believed it possible - what amazed me the most is how hard it was boiling - you could hear it. I so want to cook another one with the bottom dialed in and stuff my mouth with it.

My biggest fear now is - in 3 months none of my cloths will fit  :-D

3 months might be a generous number if you start doing those 24" boardwalk pies  :-D >:D :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11137 on: January 21, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

Nicely done Norm!!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11138 on: January 21, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
Thx, Jon - looking forward to seeing your wings!
Norm

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11139 on: January 21, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
Norm,

I have observed that you are one of the best on the forum when it comes to giving Likes to other members for their pizzas. Now they are returning the favor, and deservedly so.

Peter

wordpress