A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Re: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
I doubt it too but I'll cook with the garage door open just to be safe - oven is on now at 300 degrees for the break in.
Excellent
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »
First cook from last night - more pictures and detailed write up on oven likes and issues here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg513162#msg513162
Norm

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »
Thanks, Harry - I'm moving along slowly but I'm also excited to give it a try. The hard (and interesting) part will be figuring out the best way to work this into the existing NG layout. I have access (with some re-design) to a 3/4 inch line but I want to keep the oven connection flexible so I can move the oven within a 10 foot radius.  :pizza:
I know how to do that for irrigation but not sure I could figure it out for NG. Enjoyimg your thread and will keep reading for the answer.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
Ring, ring, ring,...

Norcoscia Pizza how may I help you?

Hi, I'd like to place an order....
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
I really like the look of that cheese pie. Nice to the the oven up and running.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Thanks Jon  ;D
Norm

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Norm, you definitely put the PRIDE back in that BP oven. Inspiring.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Did you bake those on the upper or lower deck?
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Lower - the upper runs a little cooler so it would have been better if I cooked them up top at the temps I used last night.

I want to dial in the lower first since it has a stone above and below - then I'll figure out how the top cavity cooks compared to the lower.
Norm

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
I'm here to say heck yeah Norm!!  :chef:

Bet that big deck is confidence inspiring for the launch! Screens got me a little timid lately to do a direct stone launch as I have no room for any margin of error on my stone  :-D

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
It had been so long since I launched a big pie - my peel felt very very heavy - the GP-61 oven opening is a bit narrow so with the back of the peel tilted up it is hard to see how the pie is laying down in the oven. I work the peel to adjust for that and keep it as round as possible. Plus the oven is low and the garage is a bit dark - next time I'll be wearing my headlamp  :P
Norm

Offline Josh123

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2018, 08:23:31 PM »
Congrats. I don't care what your home set up is, or how dialed in you have it over the years - you will never realize your pizza's full potential without a deck oven (same goes for wood fired for NP style). It's just a completely different experience.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
I wonder how difficult it might be to make an 18” pie on a deck that’s 20.62" x 26.25” like the GP51 has?
The GP61 has a 29.62" x 26.25" deck and that would give 5”+ on each side as compared to 1”.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
Depends on if you think that is enough margin - I made 16 inch pies on a 17.5 in sone w/o any issues but the door is not very high on the BP 61 (or 51) so I think it could be more of an issue. Plus the back to front heat difference would be larger (vice more in the middle with the 61). If I was going to go through the effort to put a small deck oven in I don't think I would go with something that shallow. I think you might get about the same results with a 220v BP P22 with a 1 inch stone on the bottom (and a lot less hassle).
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
Depends on if you think that is enough margin - I made 16 inch pies on a 17.5 in sone w/o any issues but the door is not very high on the BP 61 (or 51) so I think it could be more of an issue. Plus the back to front heat difference would be larger (vice more in the middle with the 61). If I was going to go through the effort to put a small deck oven in I don't think I would go with something that shallow. I think you might get about the same results with a 220v BP P22 with a 1 inch stone on the bottom (and a lot less hassle).

The depth is the same its the width is less. But I think the edges might be an issue. I have a 20x18 plate in my oven and I’m going to make some 16”-17” pies on it soon and I might even try an 18” to see what happens. Two 18” pies is a lot of pizza. I have to buy an 18” peel and finish it before I start down that road.

I’m not much of an electric oven person. I’m definitely going for NG. Either the GP61 or GP51 are not too expensive new. That might be a better idea. The beat up ones around here are a couple grand. New are high $4k to low $5ks range. Some of the big BP’s get into the $15k range.

If I buy a Hobart A200 (which I’m not going to do I keep telling myself)  I might as well open up shop.
Have a Dangerous day!