A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cheese to please pizza.  (Read 1574 times)

Offline idunder

• I Love Pizza!
Cheese to please pizza.
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:59:47 PM »
Figured this would be the place to post this, since it is the Chicago Style forum.  Does anyone know of "Cheese to please" it was a Pizza place that was around the Chicagoland area I believe from the 80's possibly up to 2000.   They might have had 3 or 4 locations in the NW suburbs of Chicago during that time. They had deep dish/thick crust and thin crust, but what I am really after is replicating their thick crust pizza.  I also recall they had a unique wheat based thick crust pizza.  I am not after that.

Tried searching through the forums and I get hits but nothing specific to the pizza place I am referring to.

Anyone out there familiar with them and their pizzas?

Thanks

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Cheese to please pizza.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
i thought i remember some discussion on cheese to please in the american section under the garcias pizza threads?  i thought some people remarked that they had a similar taste....
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline idunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
i thought i remember some discussion on cheese to please in the american section under the garcias pizza threads?  i thought some people remarked that they had a similar taste....

Thanks! I looked in that area, and I think I found the post you were referring to. (Re: Garcia's Pizza) and Even found someone that wanted Garcia's and was going to try Cheese to Please (but it was fully closed at that point in time when they got there)  I will have to look more into that then, if there is a Pizza it was similar to (Garcia's) then that is at least more to go on for me.    And I already see at least 1 person posting a "sweet dough" recipe to mimic Garcia's.  Now that I think about it Cheese to Please pizza was allot more sweeter than I usually ever have.  Maybe that is why it is such a unique memory to me. 

Thanks

Offline mugwump

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
I think I remember cheese to please in the Evanston / Skokie / Wilmette area back in the day.  It had that little plastic table thing in the center to keep the box up.  The problem with them was that sometimes the pizza was a bit under done and after a while we stopped ordering from there.

Offline Pizzahowie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 11:48:44 PM »
Hi,
  I recently noticed this thread and figured that I should respond.
  I am the creator and founder of Cheese To Please Pizza, operating in Wilmette (and other areas) from 1981 thru the 2000's. I learned my craft working at Garcia's Pizza in Champaign in the early 1970's.
  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our Pizza.
   Thanks, Howie

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »
Howie, I'd love to hear anything you feel like sharing! Thanks for popping in.  Anything you can share about your dough, sauce, your process--all of this is fascinating to the bunch of pizza hounds here!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Pizzahowie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 05:14:13 PM »
Hi Angelo,

My experience at Garcia's was great. I hit it off with Ralph and Joe almost immediately and I am still in touch with them now. I worked there in 1972-1974, starting off as a driver at Landau Place, then becoming an assistant manager at Bromley. When Landau Place closed and I was among the many employees who help build and dress out Wright Street. They were also very generous and helpful when I decided to open up my first Cheese To Please Pizza in 1981.

For almost 25 years I loved the pizza making part but the business part kinda burned me out working at and watching over 3 to 4 stores at the same time, but I look back at it fondly!

Thanks, Howie

Offline ag

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 04:28:58 AM »
Thank you, Howie!!!  It's great to hear about your experiences with Ralph and Joe!

I spent many days at the Wright Street Garcia's grabbing a quick slice before heading back to the Quad for classes.