A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: SOS!!Help!!  (Read 1905 times)

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
SOS!!Help!!
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
I followed canadave's NY style recipe
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2175.0.html

to the T with a dough preparation Tuesday evening. With an envelope of 4-6 days to rise, I felt that today would be the day to assemble and cook my 1st attempt at this recipe. I took my dough out of the fridge a few minutes ago and this is what I got. Large bubbles. I'm thinking over fermentation. Am I right?

How can I successfully recover and use this dough in a few hours?  What would you do?  tks

I'm thinking reball this mass of dough and wait a couple of hours and then further proceed or should I reball and continue with the skin immediately. (Just thought of it I can't do this, it just came out of the fridge)

Just to give you a little background, 1  made enough dough for 2 X 16".  Haft the dough went into 1 container and the other half was split in 2 separate containers. I looked at the rise the day after in the 2 containers and it has tripled in size. I reballed those both halves and put them in larger containers just in case. and this is what I have.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:13:29 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Re: SOS!!Help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
I wouldn't reball if I was going to use it in a few hours. About 45 min before I was going to bake, I'd gently get it out of the bowl onto a well floured surface and cut it into ball size pieces (if there is more than one pizza hiding in there).  Let it rest for 15 min or so and just stretch and bake them up.

But that's just me. :D

Offline carl333

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
I wouldn't reball if I was going to use it in a few hours. About 45 min before I was going to bake, I'd gently get it out of the bowl onto a well floured surface and cut it into ball size pieces (if there is more than one pizza hiding in there).  Let it rest for 15 min or so and just stretch and bake them up.

But that's just me. :D

tks. It just came out of the fridge, should I wait a couple of hours b4 attempting this to bring it up to room temp? damn, so disappointed, can anyone explain what happened?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:02:55 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
It might be a bit easier to divide (if you are going to) if it still a bit cool.  I'd start the whole process 1.5 to 2 hours before I was going to bake and let it temper 0.5 hours or so before I took it from the bowl still a bit on the cool side.  To divide it, cut it with a steel bench scrapper or big chiefs knife.

The idea is not to work the dough this late in the game.  Others may have a better idea!

Offline carl333

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
It might be a bit easier to divide (if you are going to) if it still a bit cool.  I'd start the whole process 1.5 to 2 hours before I was going to bake and let it temper 0.5 hours or so before I took it from the bowl still a bit on the cool side.  To divide it, cut it with a steel bench scrapper or big chiefs knife.

The idea is not to work the dough this late in the game.  Others may have a better idea!

Right now your my savior. It looks like a lot of dough but its really enough for 1 16" pie which is what I was going to make so I'd rather not divide unless this is highly suggested and you have reason. Its just been 1/2 hour out of the fridge. So are you saying in approx 1.5 hours, remove it from the bowl and proceed with the 16" skin and into the oven? 
Carl

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Right now your my savior.

That remains to be seen. ;D

Don't divide.  Go ahead and gently remove it from the bowl onto a floured surface and try to gently keep it round.  Flour the top, and cover with plastic wrap.  Form, by gently prodding with fingers, and stretching when you are about to bake.  It looks really wet, but might not be, so you might not want to go crazy with the flour.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:51:25 PM by parallei »

Offline carl333

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
OK, I'll proceed as you say. I'll post a pick of the final result. Stay tuned!
Carl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
carl333,

I would second Paul's (parallei's) advice. I would pinch any bubbles shut and work with the dough gently on a floured surface. Canadave once confirmed that it was natural for his dough to rise substantially and to have large bubbles. I once experienced the same thing using his recipe and the pizza came out fine.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
If your still there, dough is at 61F. Too early to proceed?

Thanks for your reply Peter. Fingers crossed
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:49:56 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
I've never taken the temp before as it sits. :o

If it has been at room for 1.5 - 2.0 hours, go for it!  If it is to elastic (spring back) you can always let it sit a bit more…..

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »
carl333,

Again, I agree with Paul. If the dough is soft, you can perhaps proceed to make the skin at around 61 degrees F. I normally like around 65 degrees F or even a bit more but it all depends on the condition of the dough, mainly the degree of stiffness or softness of the dough. These are things you learn with experience.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
With the advise of Parallei and Peter and thinking my dough was toast. I took the rather large dough below and divided it in half

1 of the halves went through the suggested prebake cycle for 1 minute, the other half I didn't prebake because this looked kinda weird. The other 2 pics were the finished results of the 2 pies.

The pies are irregular because I didn't start with a perfect ball and I didn't want to manipulate the dough more than I had to and besides my skin making ability is very limited. Definitely not NY style or anything close to it but probably the best dough I've made to date. Chewy and slightly crispy crust, great taste all around. Glad I was encouraged with advise here to continue. Would I try it again, definitely yes. The prebake probably would have been fine (maybe it was) if I was about to control the thickness of the dough. This was cooked on a Lodge cast iron pan for a few minutes bottom rack followed by a 1 minutes broil at 550.

Any comments?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:50:11 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
The bake looks pretty good from the photos. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 06:23:12 PM »
 :chef:

Canadave's was one of the first recipes I used from the forum.  Good thing you divided the dough!  I'd forgotten how thick (thickness factor wise) it was.  The bottom shot looks great.  "Roundness" will come with time!

Tasty.  Good save!

wordpress