A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hermit's Pizza Fare  (Read 43329 times)

Hermit and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Reply #860 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
Hermit,

Make sure to heed the advice to only hand wash the dough hook and paddle. Otherwise, they will oxidize.  Ended up buying a coated dough hook for mine.
I

I always spray a little oil on mine before use to keep the dough from climbing, seems to help. Do NOT have any oil anyplace if doing egg whites!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #861 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Congrats on the new mixer.  I love my Bosch but man that Kitchenaid Pro is sexy...

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #862 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »
Sweet mixer Hermit! I expect plenty of pizza making experiments to follow  ;D

Nice pie too! Another win for banana peppers! Is that Boars Head pepperoni? I haven't tried that one in a few months, might have to give it a go again as it looks like it didn't crisp up too much, which I think I'm realizing I prefer over the crispy cup and fold bacon-y pepperoni.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:21:04 PM by invertedisdead »

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #863 on: January 18, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
Thanks Ryan, the wife was wanting me to try it out, I think tomorrow I may make a batch of dough and see how it goes.  I am very curious to see how that spiral dough hook works compared to the J hook.

Yep boars head stick pepperoni and stick genoa salami, both are very good in flavor and not especially oily.  I think they will cup and char but it has to be sliced fairly thin, this was at setting 1 on the meat slicer.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #864 on: January 18, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
That's some nice gear man, pizza gear is cool. I almost bought this pink KA mixer I saw for the laughs and color alone and wish I had. I'm still rocking the 14 cup food processor. No complaints, except because it's so big it tends to makes this loud racket when making a single 14" .09 TF dough, but it behaves fine with a single 15" .10 TF and above. I heard that some stand mixers can struggle w/ a single small dough too. Were you making your doughs by hand before previously?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #865 on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
I will also add this, doing very low hydration doughs, like cracker crusts or pasta dough, a heavy duty food processor is better or you can burn out the fiber gear on tbe KA. Not difficult to rebuild and replace, but a PITA!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #866 on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
That's some nice gear man, pizza gear is cool. I almost bought this pink KA mixer I saw for the laughs and color alone and wish I had. I'm still rocking the 14 cup food processor. No complaints, except because it's so big it tends to makes this loud racket when making a single 14" .09 TF dough, but it behaves fine with a single 15" .10 TF and above. I heard that some stand mixers can struggle w/ a single small dough too. Were you making your doughs by hand before previously?

Thanks Christian.  I was using a kitchenaid artisan mixer, not a bad unit by any means but no spiral dough hook capability due to the power of the motor.  That mixer made up a lot of great doughs it just had to run extra long due to the way the J hook kneads the dough.  Those food processors are no joke, they'll whip out a great dough in no time.  I used mine a number of times, been a bit though.  I'll have to go back and see about doing some reball doughs with the food processor.  I wish I could do hand kneading, I have carpal tunnel so I get fatigued quickly, even with meds.

I will also add this, doing very low hydration doughs, like cracker crusts or pasta dough, a heavy duty food processor is better or you can burn out the fiber gear on tbe KA. Not difficult to rebuild and replace, but a PITA!

Good point.  These things are meant to be taken care of, I learned that a bit on the artisan.  You know I've actually been able to avoid using anything more than a heavy spoon to make a thin and crispy, nick's recipe works out so well that once it's proofed all day it's like a moist brain ready to be rolled out and turned into munchies!!!

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #867 on: January 19, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
The last dough of the batch of the last dough of the old mixer.  2-day CF 12" plain NY style, topped with 3.5oz NY style sauce, parmesan on sauce, 5oz cubed frigo LMPS mozz, baked at 500F center rack w/convection on screen for 8min, rotated pie 5 mins in.  I am going to reduce the salt in the dough going forward on this, and add salt to the sauce if I'm doing a plain pizza.  I noticed I could taste the individual components of the pizza a lot more w/o the meats but more importantly the salt levels were more balanced so I am hoping that change will improve the meat pizzas.

I think I'll mess around with some 500F bakes for a bit, I was happy with the lower temps but the cheese performance seems to be in line with the bake time at 500F so need further experiments =)

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #868 on: January 21, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
Now I am a bit nervous.  I took the new mixer out on it's maiden voyage today, enjoying the break-in smoke and smells as it plowed through the work.  I ground up 6 1/2 lb of boneless boston butt pork shoulder which will be used for sausage or meatballs.  This went as expected, now the dough was something that surprised me and gave me another understanding especially of what Roy had always talked about in the strength of the dough.  I mixed up a batch of dough with this forumla, this is my current NY style formula

GM Bread Flour (100%):
Water (58%):
IDY (0.19%):
Morton Salt (1.25%):
Peanut Oil (2%):
Raw Honey (2%):
DMP 60-lintner (0.2%):
Total (163.64%):
Single Ball:
783.75 g
454.57 g
1.49 g
9.8 g
15.67 g
15.67 g
1.57 g
1282.52 g | 45.24 oz | 2.83 lbs | TF = 0.1
320.63 g | 11.31 oz | 0.71 lbs

I mixed it at setting 2 for about 7 minutes, and the dough was fairly smooth, I decided to cover it and let it rest for about 30 minutes, then I balled it.  When I was scaling out the dough, I noticed as I ripped chunks of dough off how hard it was to rip.  I then balled it and it looked a lot smoother than the previous mixer.  I am not really sure what's going to happen when I bake these doughs, possibly more oven spring which could be trouble since I'm still no skilled opener.  Trying Tom Lehman's recommendation to put the dough slightly covered in the fridge for 2H to dry out the top before I bag.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #869 on: January 21, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
Grind a brisket. Best burgers ever. Cast iron pan smash burger style or over coal on a grill.
1/2 ground pork butt and half ground brisket makes great meatballs add veal too if you’d like.
We gave up on the Kitchen Aid attachments and bought a LEM #8 and a LEM 5 lbs sausage stuffer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:27:16 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #870 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
They have those prime packer briskets at costco for cheap.  I definitely will be giving that a shot probably mixed with some chuck roast.  We have a non-KA grinder and sausage stuffer.  I want to make some breakfast links especially.  The butcher in town has a pretty wicked spice blend with theirs and I want to try and one up it at home.

Do you know about what the fat content is of a whole packer brisket?  Thinking if there's more than 20% especially with the fat caps I may render some of that down for some tallow.  Thats really what I'd like to use as a fat in my doughs.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #871 on: January 22, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
They have those prime packer briskets at costco for cheap.  I definitely will be giving that a shot probably mixed with some chuck roast.  We have a non-KA grinder and sausage stuffer.  I want to make some breakfast links especially.  The butcher in town has a pretty wicked spice blend with theirs and I want to try and one up it at home.

Do you know about what the fat content is of a whole packer brisket?  Thinking if there's more than 20% especially with the fat caps I may render some of that down for some tallow.  Thats really what I'd like to use as a fat in my doughs.

There is a good amount of fat. I don't add any or take any away.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #872 on: January 22, 2018, 08:39:04 PM »
Pulled a dough a bit early.  24H CF, proofed for 2h in 90F oven then on counter for an hour.  This is the first dough from the new mixer.  It was harder to open but I was able to toss it in the air a few times and it didn't start getting too thin.  Topped with 3.5oz NY style sauce, parmesan on sauce, 6oz of diced frigo LMPS mozz, boars head pepperoni.  Baked on screen in center rack of 500F oven with convection.

The dough tasted pretty good for 1 day but looks like the crust browned a lot more than normal so I guess the sugars are still plentiful in this early dough.  This pizza reminded me a lot of a spot I used to hit in Winsted MN.  Decent american/NY pies.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #873 on: January 24, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »
3 day dough today, 12" NY style with 3.5oz sauce, parmesan on sauce, 4.5oz cubed shur fine LMPS mozz, sliced boars head genoa salami and pepperoni.  Baked center rack on screen @500F with convection for 8m.  I gotta make up a different sauce for these salty meats, with even reduced salt in the dough the pie still was borderline too salty.  Very yummy though and the dough produced a nice crisp like I see in my old method with reballing.  Nice to know a more powerful mixer is not necessary to create a strong dough that exhibits these characteristics.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #874 on: January 29, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »
8-day dough and final dough from the first batch with the new mixer.  The dough seemed overfermented but still held strong.  I was able to knuckle stretch it without worrying about it tearing.  I took some inspiration from @Minolta Rokkor and did a cheese pie with sauce and oil on top.  12" boardwalk? style cheese pizza, topped with 2oz of sliced boars head vermont cheddar (stinky stuff), 3oz of sliced boars head LMWM mozz, then 3.5oz of NY style sauce, a swirl of EVOO, then parmesan on top.  Baked in 500F oven center rack with convection for 7m30s.  Real awesome flavor and texture all over.  The cheese texture directly on the dough is interesting, good texture like on a white pie.  Next time I'm gonna go garlic oil under the cheese I think.  The sauce flavor was bananas since it reduced down so well being on top.  I dunno I may have a new favorite cheese pizza, gonna have to try it in a larger slice.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #875 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
8-day dough and final dough from the first batch with the new mixer.  The dough seemed overfermented but still held strong.  I was able to knuckle stretch it without worrying about it tearing.  I took some inspiration from @Minolta Rokkor and did a cheese pie with sauce and oil on top.  12" boardwalk? style cheese pizza, topped with 2oz of sliced boars head vermont cheddar (stinky stuff), 3oz of sliced boars head LMWM mozz, then 3.5oz of NY style sauce, a swirl of EVOO, then parmesan on top.  Baked in 500F oven center rack with convection for 7m30s.  Real awesome flavor and texture all over.  The cheese texture directly on the dough is interesting, good texture like on a white pie.  Next time I'm gonna go garlic oil under the cheese I think.  The sauce flavor was bananas since it reduced down so well being on top.  I dunno I may have a new favorite cheese pizza, gonna have to try it in a larger slice.

Nice pie hermit! Nice airy crumb too  :chef: did you find the cheese more stretchy with the sauce on top? Really after that stretch lately!

Big fan of garlic oil down first on the boardwalk style, adds some great savory flavors!
Haven't made one of those in a while, sure sounds good  :angel: I seem to have an issue you and MR aren't getting though, which is that my sauce seems to not cook much at all when I do it, 2/3's of the ones I've made have came out with the sauce cold, which is why I stopped exploring this style. Maybe it went on too thick but it didn't seem like it; how thin is everyone using for these style pies?

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #876 on: January 30, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
Nice pie hermit! Nice airy crumb too  :chef: did you find the cheese more stretchy with the sauce on top? Really after that stretch lately!

Big fan of garlic oil down first on the boardwalk style, adds some great savory flavors!
Haven't made one of those in a while, sure sounds good  :angel: I seem to have an issue you and MR aren't getting though, which is that my sauce seems to not cook much at all when I do it, 2/3's of the ones I've made have came out with the sauce cold, which is why I stopped exploring this style. Maybe it went on too thick but it didn't seem like it; how thin is everyone using for these style pies?

Thanks Ryan!  The crumb suprised me, that strong dough seems to hold up, I really want to do a hand mix now and reball it at some point prior to balling, I can remember that strength from the mixer and try and duplicate it by just reballing the dough until it's at that strength.  I just love the texture it brings, it's really light and crisp just hate the bubbling you get sometimes can screw up the toppings but looks pretty I guess =)

Yeah that garlic oil sounds like a winner, a few cloves in a tbsp should make a dank oil base.  You know I didn't see this sauce boil at all on top of the pie until about 4 mins into the bake which seemed a little slow.  The sauce also cools down really quickly, this pie has to be eaten fast.  By the time I hit the 3rd slice I was surprised at how cold it had become.  The cheese didnt have any stretch, not sure if it was because I had thin 0.5oz slices  Had a hint of bite to it, thinking maybe of going a little heavier on the cheese and sauce next time since everything's upside down and not really baking like a standard pie.  The sauce was thin, normal amounts that I use on NY style, 3.5oz for 12" pie, not overly thin just a little thicker than a cheap hunts spaghetti sauce
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:25:09 AM by Hermit »

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #877 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
Made a new batch of 4 doughs this morning, same formula as last time.  The dough def was not as strong this time so I'll have to adjust the mixing time. 

This is the first pie of the batch.  10H RT ferment.  I ran out of sauce and didn't have time to process more.  12" NY style garlic cheese pizza.  Topped with 1 Tbsp garlic EVOO, big pinch of parmesan, 2.5oz boars head vermont cheddar slices and 4oz of boars head LMWM mozz slices.  Baked center rack on screen in 500F oven with convection for 7m30s.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:25:56 PM by Hermit »

Offline goosta

• Supporting Member
« Reply #878 on: January 31, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
That looks so good!  :drool:

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #879 on: February 01, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »
Fog over the valley this morning