A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: S & P Pizza (that's sourdough plus poolish)  (Read 363 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
S & P Pizza (that's sourdough plus poolish)
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:48 AM »
I was reading Chad Robertson's "Tartine Bread" book the other day and came across his recipe for baguettes.  In his search and experimentation for the perfect bread, he settled on a large amount of young leaven "in addition to" a large portion of poolish added to his dough.  I'm not really in search of anything, but it made me wonder what a pizza would be like using the same process, in addition to using cold fermentation so I can better plan what's going on.  So, here's the experiment:

Flour  (All Trumps)                                100%
Young leaven (100% hydration)               40%
Poolish (100% hydration)                        40%
Water                                                    49%
Salt                                                         2.5%

According to my quick calculations, 49% hydration should give the total dough a little over 63% hydration rate, which works well with All Trumps.  Both the leaven and the poolish were left at room temperature for about 8 hours before mixing the dough.

The dough was mixed in my mixer for about 6 minutes. It was then given a series of 4 stretch and folds in 15 minute intervals.  It was then placed unballed in the fridge for a bulk "rise".  Over each of the next 5 days after mixing, a 10 ounce piece of dough was scaled and balled to be baked 12 to 24 hours later.

Observations:
1)  The dough had a very nice smell, even on the 5th day
2)  This dough is very strong.  It can be taken out to warm up for up to 7 hours, and it won't blow, it rises very slowly
3)  This dough is very strong.....I very easily stretched each 10 ounce dough ball to a 12 inch pie, no thin spots
4)  Might be the best tasting dough I've ever had
5)  The first 3 doughs (days 2, 3, 4), were not crispy at all, not soggy either, just a piece you want to fold
6)  The last dough (day 5) was what I would call a perfect pizza...excellent flavor, egg shell thin crispy bottom crust.  I don't know why it took 5 days to get the crisp I like, but it could be I used a hotter oven.

After my first 3 pizzas, I made up my mind, that I would rather have a little more crispness, even if it meant less flavor.  But then I was blown away by the last pizza.  So, that means, I'll have to try this again, and pay more attention to my oven heat. 

John

Offline patnx2

Re: S & P Pizza (that's sourdough plus poolish)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:30:50 AM »
Looks darn good. I've never let a doughball go more then 3 days. something to try. Nice bake. Patrick
Patrick

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:11 AM »
This is very cool!   I can't wait to see this one figured out.   It always amazes me how raising my oven temp just 20 degrees can take it to a place I don't want to go.  Im interested to see if it was just that. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:25:52 AM by scott r »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
It's definitely interesting John...Couple thoughts/questions:

Wouldn't a hotter oven bake faster , therefore a softer bake, rather than crisper?

Could the answer have to do with the very high sourdough content? I don't actually even understand science behind this thought, but is it possible that after 5 days, the leavening power of the SD had faded, bringing the poolish to the front...and the flavor, as well as texture was being determined by the action of the long-fermented poolish, powered by IDY(right?) rather than the SD at that point?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »
As I mentioned in the first post....I wasn't looking for anything.  I didn't have a clue what the results would be.  I just tried to be an honest observer of the results in case something good might come of this.  The only two variables (that I can think of anyway), for getting a nice crisp crust on day 5....are 1) the dough was older, and 2) my ovens were a little hotter because of my skins at work.  I've started a new batch to watch this weekend....hope I can come up with some definite opinions of what is going on.  Maybe another factor: interaction of poolish and leaven???  I don't have a clue.

John

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:59 PM »
Will be fun to find out  :) 

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:10 PM »
Just completed this experiment again.  This time I made sure I had the ovens up a bit...it's still only 570 degrees, but the relative change was huge in the experiment.

Same ratio of ingredients, same mixing procedures, dough was left to bulk rise in the fridge.  The first dough was scaled and balled and re-refrigerated 24 hours after  the initial mix.  The dough was baked about 15 hours later.  Each successive dough was handled the same, so that I baked a dough a day for 3 days.

Observations:
1) Extra heat was huge.  Not only was oven spring great, flavor great, color great, texture was that of the eggshell thin crisp bottom
2)  this will definitely be my new go to pizza

John

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:52 PM »
Nice work. Really interesting to see what you have found through just two trials.

Itís somewhat over my head but, hey, I really enjoy music and donít play an instrument :)
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

wordpress