A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)  (Read 202284 times)

Offline bschenk8

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)
« Reply #2220 on: November 16, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »
Doing a photo dump from recent bakes. Using 100% KABF but going to start mixing in some AP as I find my crust too chewy. Also, thinking my bottoms are slightly underdone. Using 475 top, 625 bottom for ny style.

Any advice on how to get the bottoms a little darker?? Iím schenkspizza on Instagram if anyone wants to follow!

Offline wayner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2221 on: November 22, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
Finally received my replacement stone!

I bought a Pizzaiolo exactly a year ago during Black Friday sales.  I broke my stone in the summer.  A new one was ordered on June 23.  It finally arrived last Friday, Nov 19.  Good to be back in the pizza making business but ridiculous that it took so long.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2222 on: November 23, 2021, 03:47:40 AM »
Finally received my replacement stone!

I bought a Pizzaiolo exactly a year ago during Black Friday sales.  I broke my stone in the summer.  A new one was ordered on June 23.  It finally arrived last Friday, Nov 19.  Good to be back in the pizza making business but ridiculous that it took so long.

This seems like it's par for the course for Breville. I have a bunch of their products, I could really use a few replacement parts, but they're all always out of stock. It's crazy how a company that makes super pricey kitchen products seem to always run out of stock.  The fact you had to wait basically 5 months for a stone's sad.  I want a replacement dice and peel bowl for my Sous Chef food processor. Been sold out for 3 years now. You can still buy the actual Sous Chef so I know they still make it, but the only way it seems I'll ever get the bowl is to buy a whole new food processor. Ridiculous for a $499 machine, just like it's rediculous you waited 5 months for a part for a $1k oven. And a very common piece that has a high rate of failure. 

I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread, I know it's about the Breville Pizza oven, but anyone interested might want to think about what wayner said. Getting certain replacement parts will be next to impossible, I have things from them and parts are pratically impossible to find in stock. So it's not just limited to the Pizzaiolo. Now with that said, their stuff works amazingly well.

Offline wayner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2223 on: November 23, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
I wasn't sure if this five month shipping time was due to the supply chain issues that we are currently experiencing, but from what you are saying this seems to be a regular occurence with Breville. 

Offline bschenk8

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2224 on: November 29, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »
Could use some advice...

I went to cook some leftover dough last week and didn't look inside my oven before preheating it... next thing I know the fire alarms going off and the house is crazy smoky  :-\

Someone put the bench scraper in my oven. Brutal!!

Anyway, now my oven is covered in soot and has a kinda gross burnt wood smell. I scrubbed the window and sides pretty heavily with soap and water, but it's not fully doing the trick. I gently cleaned the stone with a wet towel and it seems clean but the smell is still there.

Any ideas on how to do a super deep clean on it? Do you think it'll hurt the taste of the pizza??  :'(

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #2225 on: November 30, 2021, 06:38:13 AM »
Could use some advice...

I went to cook some leftover dough last week and didn't look inside my oven before preheating it... next thing I know the fire alarms going off and the house is crazy smoky  :-\

Someone put the bench scraper in my oven. Brutal!!

Anyway, now my oven is covered in soot and has a kinda gross burnt wood smell. I scrubbed the window and sides pretty heavily with soap and water, but it's not fully doing the trick. I gently cleaned the stone with a wet towel and it seems clean but the smell is still there.

Any ideas on how to do a super deep clean on it? Do you think it'll hurt the taste of the pizza??  :'(
I would just do max heat for a couple hours

Offline pizzamike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2226 on: December 05, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »
Try this:

1. Spray the glass with some EasyOff (standard precautions: gloves, well-ventilated area, don't inhale fumes)
2. Let sit for 15-20 minutes
3. With a very light touch, scrape away build-up with a razor blade

Good as new!

I'd imagine if you've never cleaned the glass before, you might have to repeat once or twice.

Can you spray the metal around the glass with easy off too?  Mine has developed, as would I would say, char, around the edge of where the door closes.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove it all and clean it up.  I know there is a rubber cushion on the door too; not sure if easy off would be good for that.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2227 on: December 05, 2021, 08:35:06 PM »
Can you spray the metal around the glass with easy off too? 

I have. Works well everywhere to remove burned-on gunk. Don't leave too long, rinse well, and follow standard precautions.

Offline pizzamike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2228 on: December 09, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
I have. Works well everywhere to remove burned-on gunk. Don't leave too long, rinse well, and follow standard precautions.

Stupid question...  How do you rinse it well if the door is attached to the oven?  Do you just take a wet towel and wipe it down?

Offline pizzamike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2229 on: December 09, 2021, 09:11:42 PM »
Doing a photo dump from recent bakes. Using 100% KABF but going to start mixing in some AP as I find my crust too chewy. Also, thinking my bottoms are slightly underdone. Using 475 top, 625 bottom for ny style.

Any advice on how to get the bottoms a little darker?? Iím schenkspizza on Instagram if anyone wants to follow!

What is the first pizza in your picture?  Is that a grandma's pizza?  Where did you find the recipe, and how did you cook it?

It looks delicious.  I tried a grandma's and it turned out good, but it's just hard to cook it in the circular deep dish pan that's included.  I'm looking for more recipes and things to try specifically in this oven. 

Thanks!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2230 on: December 09, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »
Stupid question...  How do you rinse it well if the door is attached to the oven?  Do you just take a wet towel and wipe it down?

Yup. Several times.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2231 on: December 31, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
I'm wondering if there's a problem with my Breville oven.

Since I bought it about a month ago, it hasn't really blackened the bottom of the dough like I expected it to, even though I've had it on 750 degrees. For example, I just made a pizza yesterday, in manual mode, with bottom temp set to 750, and even after baking for 3 minutes it was still very light-coloured--not even browned, let alone with black/char.

I just tried, as an experiment, measuring the bottom temp in manual mode while having the top temp be set very low (to 350 degrees). My thinking here is that if the top temp is set very low, then the temperature reached by the bottom stone will be mostly on its own, rather than having the top heating element "contributing" to the heating of the bottom stone (which, possibly, could erroneously tell the thermostat "yes the bottom temp is fine" even if the bottom heating element isn't working properly--at least, that's my theory).

So I set the top to 350 and bottom to 750 and started it up. After almost 30 minutes, the "At Temp" light was still slowly blinking on and off, meaning it wasn't yet up to temperature. This was longer than it has ever taken me before--last night, for instance, it was "At Temp" after about 20 minutes.

Puzzled by this, I experimentally tried turning the top temp knob up a bit. When I turned it up to 450, the oven beeped as being "At Temp" and the light came on solid. So that was weird....

In any case, I then opened the oven and immediately measured the bottom temp with my infrared gun. It came out at around 625-650. So, I'm wondering if this might be defective, or if I'm just going about this all wrong, or what...

Another annoying thing I've noticed--is it normal for the door to spring closed if you don't have the stone in it? With the stone in it, I can leave the door fully open without holding it...but if the stone isn't in the oven, I have to hold the door open, otherwise it wants to forcefully snap shut--which is a little hazardous when trying to clean it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:57:33 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2232 on: December 31, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
Just did some more experimentation:

With bottom temp set to 750, and top temp set to lowest temp (350), after 45 minutes, the oven still did not register as "At Temp", and the bottom stone read on the infrared gun at 625-650. I then increased the top temp setting to 650, closed the oven, and walked away. After about 5 minutes, the oven beeped and showed it was "At Temp". I then measured the bottom stone temp at around 750 degrees.

So, it seems that if you want the bottom temp to remain at 750 degrees, there's a "lower limit" beyond which you cannot set the top temp, else the oven will decrease the bottom temp and never go above it (which also means it will never reach "At Temp"). In other words, it almost seems that the oven "prioritizes" the top temp over the bottom temp in terms of turning the thermostat off/on.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2233 on: December 31, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

With bottom temp set to 750, and top temp set to lowest temp (350), after 45 minutes, the oven still did not register as "At Temp", and the bottom stone read on the infrared gun at 625-650. I then increased the top temp setting to 650, closed the oven, and walked away. After about 5 minutes, the oven beeped and showed it was "At Temp". I then measured the bottom stone temp at around 750 degrees.

So, it seems that if you want the bottom temp to remain at 750 degrees, there's a "lower limit" beyond which you cannot set the top temp, else the oven will decrease the bottom temp and never go above it (which also means it will never reach "At Temp"). In other words, it almost seems that the oven "prioritizes" the top temp over the bottom temp in terms of turning the thermostat off/on.

As stated on page 12 of the manual: "The deck and top temperatures affect each other, so there limitations on the possible combinations." In such a small chamber, a temp gradient of 350 to 750 is never going to happen. The issue of color on the bottom of your pizza may be related to your dough composition.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2234 on: December 31, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »
I'd be happy to run a test on my oven to see if there might be a problem with your oven. I'll set mine to whatever temps you want and tell you how hot the stone gets.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2235 on: January 01, 2022, 08:16:09 AM »
FWIW, I have a different electrical oven with a 3cm thick biscotto (special terracotta stone).  I think it's in the nature of the beast that the upper heating element dictates the surface temperature of the stone.  The lower heater is more about adding more heat energy to the stone, rather than to control the surface temperature.

On my oven there is a drop of about 100C from one side of the stone to the other.  That is to say that if I put the upper to 450C and the lower off, then (judging from the thermostat settings) I end up with about 350C below the stone, and if the lower is at 450C and the upper off, then again I'll see about 350C on the surface.  Though I will take forever to reach that temperature as the lower element is much weaker than the upper one.

For Neapolitan pizza I normally have the upper element around 400C to heat the stone and I up that to 500C when I start to make the pizza, the surface will show around 460C or so and the pizza bakes in about 65-70 seconds.

For Tonda Romana (IIRC) I have the upper at about 320C and the lower at 450C for a bake time of about 3.5 minutes.  I need the higher heat below not because it makes the surface of the stone hotter, rather I need it because it helps bake the bottom darker and crispier.

So according to my experience, the upper element is the main heat and controls the surface temperature of the stone, the ambient heat in the oven and the amount of radiative heat that the pizza receives from the element directly, while the bottom element allows one to have some control over the browning of the bottom of the pizza.

I hope this makes some sense and is of some use to figure out the issue.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2236 on: January 01, 2022, 08:50:31 AM »

there is a limit to the difference you can dial in the top and bottom heat amount. think about the small space you are heating. I'm sure the oven designer Michael covered this somewhere in the original thread on this oven.

Offline kuhne

« Reply #2237 on: January 17, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
Been a while since I used the breville, hadnít made pizzas in a while. Kids wanted only cheese, no frills pizzas (typical) so I made some Neapolitan dough.

Type 00 flour, 2 hour room temp,  24 hour cold ferment bulk, 24 hour cold ferment balled, 2 hours on the counter before stretching.

Sauce was smashed tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.

Cheese was a mix of mozzarella and cheddar (usually my go to combo)

And some evoo before putting it in the oven.

Breville was in manual mode with every setting cranked up to the highest including right knob to crust only.

It was about a minute and thirty seconds, spinning it around as I saw fit.

They all turned out more or less like the one in the picture.

I missed Neapolitan pizza. My fav crust by far.

wordpress