A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Famag IM8-S - Any users?  (Read 369 times)

Offline RedBarchetta

• I Love Pizza!
Famag IM8-S - Any users?
« on: December 03, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »
Hi all!!  So...  I'm at a point where my KA is on it's last legs and really thinking about getting the IM8-S for breads/pizza and a smaller KA for cookies/whipped cream.
Based on everything I've read everyone seems super happy for pizza and breads like sourdough, rye and such.  Does anyone have any experience with enriched doughs, like a brioche, or cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls etc...  those sticky doughs with butter etc? 

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Famag IM8-S - Any users?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 07:13:15 AM »
I got mine week ago and have been playing with it ever since. It is the im-8s European model - no reverse, no hh. I have tested with lean (bread dough) and very rich - brioche (60% butter), cozonac, will try pandoro - the dough develops beautifully, it takes around 40 minutes of kneading.  Also while the dough lacks strength I would not call it sticky - it leaves your hands and surfaces clean. The friction factor is low. After 40 minutes of kneading it hadn't reached the desired temperature. My batches are 1000g flour which is no problem for the mixer, but on the lower end. Haven't tested the max rated load.

The integration of butter is a beauty to behold - I think you will find out you could use a lot colder and bigger chunks of butter than in the stand mixer.

Also removable bowl is a must if you do rich dough - degreasing the unit will be too much PITA for me. 

One thing that I noticed with both rich and lean dough is that the offset bar is just a tad bendy and the dough for the right size batch pulls the bar towards the spiral and it clacks from time to time. There is no left right bend, just towards the spiral. I think in next generation they should make is more square-ish.

So far mixer has consistently swiped the bowl clean - no unincorporated ingredients.

Offline shawkyns

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 05:48:38 AM »
I got one a few weeks ago. Have only used it for bread and one batch of pizza at this point as we have been traveling a bit, but WOW, some of the best bread I have made.  using a very high hydration recipe. 

pizza not so much, I used a high hydration for a detroit, but only needed 3 balls, so I think I pushed the lower capacity of this mixer a bit, but it still did better then my kitchenaid, and better than the artisan mixer i got from pleasant hill, the bosch clone.  I think with a regular batch of 6 balls @ 275g each it will do a lot better, but probably wont be able to try it out till next year.

only real problem I have had is that it tripped my GFCI.. that is a known problem, and before I was  able to use it I had to replace the GFCI outlets in my kitchen.

Bottom line, if you can afford it, get it.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
Something you might want to confirm and think about...   At one point (when I bought mine) the specs showed the im-5s could go slower than the 8.    I personally use mine on the slowest setting for lower hydration doughs and would not want a mixer that could not go as slow.  If your a home use the 8 might be overkill.   

As far as minimum capacity goes, I like to always stay at or above 800g of water.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 04:47:00 AM »
I got an IM8s this year and very happy with it for my micro pizzeria.

I make a couple batches a week of dough with around 2-3kg flour and 62% water

The 8s minimum size is a huge gap over a kitchenaid as I have been experimenting with making panettone all year in the kitchenaid.
I typically make 2 panettone in the kitchenaid but wanted increase to 3 and my old kitchenaid struggled with that amount
so tried a batch last weekend with 500g flour and it was too little for the 8s to be able to "grip" and mix efficiently, it took way too long and ended up overheating the dough.

I think the minimum for the 8s is closer to 800g flour. So choose your size carefully.

note, the motor uses an inverter circuit which has a high startup surge demand which often trips gfci outlets.

Offline RedBarchetta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 05:54:13 PM »
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback

Offline mtomasco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 09:03:29 PM »
I just did a few batches of enriched dough (nominal 60% butter).  This is an old family recipe that has never had exact measurements--the flour gets adjusted by feel.  For decades I've used a planetary mixer and know what to expect and what is "right"  With the IM-8, the experience was different from past sessions with the same dough in a planetary and from pizza dough made in the Famag.  After ~10 minutes of mixing on speed 4, the dough was still very sticky and had little gluten network.  Mixing 8+ additional minutes on speed 10 didn't seem to help much, so I added flour to get to the pumpkin stage.  After the first rise, the dough clearly had too much flour and maybe was slightly overdeveloped--it was firm and required more effort to roll out.  It did a second rise and baked ok--a little dryer than I like, but still good enough.  The second batch I deliberately stopped mixing after 15 minutes on speed 5 while the dough was what I consider underdeveloped, turned it out on a lightly floured board for a few quick stretch and folds and let rise.  After rising, the consistency was great.  As dragonspawn said, butter incorporation is excellent.  In summary, you might need to make adjustments to the mixing duration and or what you think is the correct dough consistency at the end of mixing versus experience with prior mixers, but the Famag absolutely can produce great results with enriched doughs.

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 01:35:02 AM »
I have noticed that unlike the planetary mixer the spiral doesn't shape the dough while in the bowl. So for same level of doneness the dough in the spiral will look slightly wetter, softer and a just a tad stickier. The moment you shape it into a proper ball - those 3 disappear.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:48:44 AM by dragonspawn »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »
I agree... its easy to fool yourself and over knead in the famag.    If I wait till it looks ready to me I have usually mixed too far.

wordpress