A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 344301 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #4320 on: January 15, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »
Good looking loaves Bill and Mitch.  I'm still working on my basic country loaf.  Lol. 

Bill, I enjoy our bread conversations.  I find them illuminating and motivating.   Here's this morning's loaf and breakfast.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #4321 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
Nice loaf Chau, loving that toast!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4322 on: January 15, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
I'm really enjoying my first tries with the Brot & Taylor proofer; makes the process a lot less hit or miss when the house is cold.

I completely agree regarding the Brot & Taylor proofer. For years I've struggled with proofing due to changes in my kitchen temperature. At the end of the year I ordered the B&T and it's delivered in spades. On 01/01/2018 I initiated a new starter which I've never done successfully until now.

Waiting on my first sourdough to finish baking this morning to see the results from the starter (Bella).

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4323 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Thanks Chau, me topo! I love that loaf...now I'm hungry again! :)

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4324 on: January 15, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
My first attempt at baking sourdough bread, the first steps in what I expect will be a long journey of learning.

I followed The Perfect Loaf sourdough recipe with an assist from the YouTube video Bill posted in a previous thread. My starter was created on New Years Day and I worked on it for two weeks before baking. I ground rye and red winter wheat berries for a portion of my flour and also used KA bread flour.

There is a nice hint of sourness without being overpowering.

Now debating what sandwich to make for lunch.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4325 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
My first attempt at baking sourdough bread, the first steps in what I expect will be a long journey of learning.

I followed The Perfect Loaf sourdough recipe with an assist from the YouTube video Bill posted in a previous thread. My starter was created on New Years Day and I worked on it for two weeks before baking. I ground rye and red winter wheat berries for a portion of my flour and also used KA bread flour.

Great job! 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4326 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »
A beauty she is!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4327 on: January 15, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »

Forgot to add...Reuben...Absolutely...

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4328 on: January 15, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
Great job!

Forgot to add...Reuben...Absolutely...

Thank you! I like the Reuben idea...

A beauty she is!!!

I truly appreciate it, thank you!

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4329 on: January 15, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »

That is a heck of high hat - especially for a first try!  Well done.  :chef:
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4330 on: January 15, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
That is a heck of high hat - especially for a first try!  Well done.  :chef:

Thank you Mitch!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4331 on: January 15, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
Just seen a new/old grain profiled on a local TV program, sounds interesting, AND it's a perennial vs annual!

http://m.startribune.com/a-new-grain-kernza-finds-its-way-into-products/450447673/
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4332 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
You did great...and that's beautiful scoring!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4333 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
You did great...and that's beautiful scoring!

Thank you Bill! I was just lucky on my first attempt and shocked my hand was that steady.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4334 on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »
Looks great.  You are well on your way!  May not even take you long.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4335 on: January 15, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Looks great.  You are well on your way!  May not even take you long.

Thank you very much Chau! I'm looking forward to the adventure.

BTW - I was born and raised in Albuquerque and miss the food. Nothing quite like it here in Texas.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4336 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »
Thank you very much Chau! I'm looking forward to the adventure.

BTW - I was born and raised in Albuquerque and miss the food. Nothing quite like it here in Texas.

I hear ya.  I lived in Crowley and Corpus Christi for a few years.   While Tex Mex is also good it's not the same as home cookin'.  :)

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4337 on: January 15, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
A beauty she is!!!
^^^  That is a dandy! Nice work, Paul (?).
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4338 on: January 15, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
^^^  That is a dandy! Nice work, Paul (?).

I appreciate it Tony, thank you! Yes, it's Paul.  :D

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4339 on: January 17, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Just seen a new/old grain profiled on a local TV program, sounds interesting, AND it's a perennial vs annual!

http://m.startribune.com/a-new-grain-kernza-finds-its-way-into-products/450447673/
Jon, I meant to check this out last night. Interesting find. General Mills evidently feels it has potential. The brewery angle sounds promisimg too.

Perennial plants - and there are many advantages to perennials over annuals - will present all new grain crop management challenges. The article talks quite a bit about its “organically grown” possible appeal. I think that will be difficult to achieve on any kimd of useful scale. I know nothing about fungicide requirements of grains (I suspect it is low). However, plowing and replanting every year, often twice a year for wheat, give farmers a chance to clean up the stand. I see it being difficult to maintain large perennial fields without herbicides. Alternativley they have dirty harvests or low yield, or both. Those chemicals may still need to be developed and specifically approved for Kernza, which is a years long process. I hope they do not jump straight to “Roundup Ready Kernza.” We have enough problems to solve as it is once Roundup (Glyphosate) is no longer effective. It will be similar to what is happening with over used and mis-used antibiotics in people. Also, many grains and most perennials are voracious feeders. Keeping fertility levels high and available at the right times will be difficult without synthetics. Synthetics get a bad rap; I feel they should not be part of the organic designation. Orgainc fertilizers have simply to do with the source of the elements they contain, typically N, P, and K. Whereas the difference between using herbicides twice a year versus none at all is vastly different. The chemicals are used or they are not. With fertilizers, the same elements are provided either way.

-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

wordpress