A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 72 Hour Rise Question  (Read 515 times)

Offline Rainier42

72 Hour Rise Question
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »
Currently having good luck with  a 48 hour cold rise for my dough but am looking to extend it to 72 hours.  My question is do I have to lower the amount of IDY I am using (for 48 hour rise I am using .4%)?
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
Re: 72 Hour Rise Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
Currently having good luck with  a 48 hour cold rise for my dough but am looking to extend it to 72 hours.  My question is do I have to lower the amount of IDY I am using (for 48 hour rise I am using .4%)?

If your refrigerator is 35F than .4 is fine.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
Not so... according to Craig's chart(which I've used multiple times and have found to be VERY accurate) for a 72 hour cold rise at 35F, you should only be using approximately .3% yeast. And I would drop it even further.... because, unless your fridge never deviates from 35F there are going to be times when it hits upwards to 40F, like when you keep opening the fridge over the course of the 3 days, ALSO... you want to take the dough out and let it rest AT room temperature for 2-3 hours before stretching. If it was me? I'd go down to no more than .2%

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »
I use .375 and have good luck at 48 and 72.  These are for Chicago Deep Dish, Chicago Tavern style both are sheeted.  DD gets a 1.5 hour proof at 90 degree, get good rise at .375 as well.

Offline artaxares

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 03:51:19 AM »
It's hard to give advice without knowing other important factors such as what's dough temperature before going to fridge, temperature oscilation etc. In theory, yes, you should lower yeast amount when going from 48 to 72h. I'd say one of indications would be how much does your dough rise in 48h? If it more than doubles than you might have to use just half the amount for 72h, if it barely rises at all then your refrigerator keeps it really cool and you don't have to lower the amount as much.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »
Cold fridge gives a lot of latitude in yeast amounts. Charts are a guideline. Practice Practice Practice. My dough usually works between 3 days and 8 days with same amount of yeast.

Offline drainaps

• Good pizza makes the world a happier place
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 01:27:38 AM »
I'd change nothing at first, and see what happens. You probably have more variability in your dough coming from your temps than whatever impact you have from 24 more hours of cold fermentation with equal amounts of yeast.

I have a pizzaiolo friend who, systematically and on purpose, uses his dough  over a 72 hour window. Obviously dough is not the same through the process neither in taste nor in rheology (how the dough feels). Pizzas are great (through slightly different) on day one and on day 4. He doesn't use this dough on every pizza he makes though (he uses 3 different types of dough in his business).

Home fridges are not great at keeping temperatures, and take a long time to recover (hours!) from numerous cycles of door opening and closing.

My 2 cents.

wordpress