A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Second cold ferment after poolish  (Read 213 times)

Offline carlhirdman

• I Love Pizza!
Second cold ferment after poolish
« on: October 11, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »
Hi, i am currently making a poolish dough using vito’s home oven recipie. The recipie uses a poolish with:
300g flour
300g water
10g fresh yeast

For the dough:
1220g flour
700g water
40g salt

The poolish has had a 18h CT ferment, is it possible the ferment the dough an extra 24h CT before/after balling? I need to push my pizzaparty to tomorrow. Should i start a new poolish? Or make the dough and CT ferment an extra day? I know its a lot of yeast so that is why i am a bit nervous…

Offline Willthepizzamaker

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Second cold ferment after poolish
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 03:54:35 AM »
that's excessive amount of yeast. any reason you are using that much? even with W rate of 340+ flour will die. best case, why not use that poolish for 20% of total dough and add little yeast to adjust?

or just start straight dough

Offline carlhirdman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:55:39 AM »
Just following recipe from Vito (famous pizza youtuber). I also think the yeast amount is crazy high but it has worked great for me in the past. I ended up making the pizza yesterday as planned though. I increased hydration to 70% and the result was great. However, the last two pizzas did not puff up. Do you think they were over-proofed because of the yeast amount? Using caputo pizzeria

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 04:35:06 AM »
Hi,

I didn't see this particular video, how long is the poolish supposed to ferment? Maybe the yeast amount is adapted, and that would be a couple hours only?

Ok you already got your reply  ;D, so yes you can add 24H CF. Even 48H. Just keep in mind that the more yeast you add, the shorter the fermentation will be; while using home fridges where temperature is not very low and dough balls are often around 6 or 7°C (yeast sleeps under 4°C) it can easily overferment.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T