A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: why feed starter on a schedule?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
Re: why feed starter on a schedule?
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
I keep my starter on the counter and feed it twice a day. The amount I feed it vary with the kitchen temperature, but these days itís typically 3 g seed, 15 g flour and 22 g water. I save the discard in a jar in the fridge and use for other stuff. If I threw it away I would throw a 1 kg bag in the trash every month. Not a big cost, but I donít like to throw away more food than necessary.

On days that I bake Iíll feed it up the feeding before or use some of it for a levain.

If you store it in the fridge and donít use is frequently, maybe once or twice per week, you wonít have to feed it more than a few times a week.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »
So, with this schedule you must need to discard extra quite often, right? Unless you are baking every day I would imagine?

I discard about 40g each feeding so 80g per day about 5 days a week that I don't use it to bake with.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline BeanAnimal

• BeanAnimal's Reef
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
I may start new thread if needed - but I think that this fits in here:

I am NOT AT ALL interested in keeping a kitchen pet that I need to worry about every day, or for that matter every week. I am very interested in SD bread and pizza.

What do the gurus think of this method

What I don't get is how it could be AT ALL consistent... but wow it looks easy to deal with.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
There are many ways to keep a starter. For bread, itís easier to get away with a maintenance routine that isnít too tight. When you make bread maybe and use 20% starter, the timings arenít as important. If my dough is done with the final proof after five hours one day and six the next, thatís usually fine.

For pizza it might be more challenging if the starter is somewhat randomly maintained. If you do 12-48 hour doughs, you use a small amount of starter and differences in activity from week to week can make it challenging to find something consistent. If I make a 24 hour dough I donít want it to be at the ideal stage of fermentation after 18 or 30 hours.

Thatís not to say there arenít alternatives to feeding daily. Some feed up the starter, put it in the fridge and take a piece here and there over a week or two. I havenít tried it myself, and again donít know how it would affect repeatability for pizza dough.

Iím sure someone in this forum is doing some kind of maintenance like this, but keep in mind when searching that anyone using SD for bread only may be fine with a larger deviance than you may want in your pizza dough.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:07:48 PM by Heikjo »
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

A D V E R T I S E M E N T