A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Parchment Paper  (Read 728 times)

Offline PizzaPassion

• I Love Pizza!
Parchment Paper
« on: July 16, 2022, 07:32:58 AM »
Simple question I think.
Does it hurt to place your pizza on parchment paper as a way to easily launch it onto your stone? In the past I've used flour on the stone and also used cornmeal but those made a mess in my oven and sometimes the pizza stuck to my peel, especially with higher hydration dough. I'm now using parchment paper and removing the paper as soon as the bottom of the crust is set up to the point where I can get the peel between the crust and the paper. Removing the paper takes a minute and I'm loosing oven heat which I don't want to lose. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Parchment Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 08:48:05 AM »
Many members here are using parchment and pulling it a couple minutes in, as you describe. Only you can decide the question of removing parchment vs losing oven heat. Personally, I don/t think it is a big deal, but I do not use parchment.

I do use a screen on certain types of dough and always pull it after 4-5 minutes. I like the texture it leaves, the overall bake, and especially the toasty brown bottom I get with it. Give it a try. Itís easier to stretch to a specific size and round shape. I launch the pizza on the screen from the peel. No bench flour or any other material on the peel (and hence the bottom of the pizza). I probably lose a little more heat removing the screen than you would pulling the parchment. It does not bother me.
-Tony

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 10:29:00 AM »
You can always just leave the parchment in the oven.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 11:22:39 AM »
When I use PP it takes 10 seconds to remove. I slide peel under, put my finger on paper and slide pizza bake into place. I've also left it in place. It gives the bottom a slightly different look but tastes fine. On my outdoor oven I don't use paper unless the dough is very wet or I want to make a 16 inch pie on a 16 inch stone.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
PizzaPassion,

Much has been written on this forum on the subject of parchment paper, as you will see in Reply 24 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=68033.msg659806;topicseen#msg659806

If you are also interested in exploring release agents, you might take a look at Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69905.msg672530;topicseen#msg672530

Peter

Offline Pizza5050

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 04:38:45 PM »
I used parchment paper in the past.  But now I use a gold bbq mat to build my pizza and launch.  I remove it after 2 minutes  (as fast as Possible) with my peel and long tongs.  The little bit of bench flour sticks to it (vs the stone) and not as messy as the parchment paper.

Offline Pizza5050

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 04:40:38 PM »
I used parchment paper in the past.  But now I use a gold bbq mat to build my pizza and launch.  I remove it after 2 minutes  (as fast as Possible) with my peel and long tongs.  The little bit of bench flour sticks to it (vs the stone) and not as messy as the parchment paper.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 04:52:04 PM »
It's better to practice launching. Parchment paper does have a negative impact on overall quality.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 08:44:17 PM »
Does anyone use parchment paper on the dough trays? I have the nordic ware sheet pans with lids but just wanted to start my sourdough starter. I heard sourdough is not great with metal trays so was wondering if this was a good alternative. I like the space efficiency of the sheet pans. Maybe I will switch to plastic or wood ones.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 06:10:11 PM »
Wood 100%. One of the biggest steps forward I ever made in my pizzamaking.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 09:57:04 PM »
Wood 100%. One of the biggest steps forward I ever made in my pizzamaking.

i do want to try maybe I will just use boards in my metal trays. I think that might be a better option because I only want to dry out one side of the dough.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong but I have not had success being able to ferment the dough balls for more than 8 hrs or so at 74F room temp. My roommate has one of those nest thermostats and it does change temp at night so that could be the issue

i used 0.3g for a 12/12 hr fermentation and even after 8 hrs in balls ovrernight the dough looked quite soft and I had to put it in the fridge.

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 09:41:24 AM »
When baking a Chicago thin crust, with sauce and toppings all the way to the rim, I often get spill-over onto my pizza steel which is difficult to clean. So I use parchment, not for easy launching, but for easy clean up. I keep it in for the whole bake (11 min at 500 deg F). No difference in quality.

wordpress