A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Using ice temp water in your biga?  (Read 378 times)

Offline PizzaSnob

• I Love Pizza!
Using ice temp water in your biga?
« on: November 29, 2022, 08:53:30 PM »
Been studying some videos and watching the biga process. It seems they are using around 18-20 C (around 64 f) degrees of iced water. Followed by placing the biga in a fridge. I imagine they let it long ferment for X hours.

What I'm wondering is would it make sense to have the biga rest at RT for a bit before placing in a cold fridge? It seems that cold water and directly into a fridge would slow the fermentation too much?

I notice not a lot of videos I've watch talk about Temps and timing oddly enough.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 11:49:19 PM by PizzaSnob »

Offline nhnybo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Using ice temp water in your biga?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 06:50:18 AM »
18-20 °C is room temperature though.

Offline PizzaSnob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 11:28:26 AM »
18-20 °C is room temperature though.
could be the room was warmer possibly and they were trying yo reduce the room temp. I'm trying to get an understanding on ice water specifically in biga and if the biga is refrigerated and then used in the rest of the flour mix, do I add in the 85-90 degree water that the original recipe called for? Or do I let the biga go from say 40 degrees back to rt snd then use it? Trying to see what if anyone else has had this experience.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 11:47:03 AM »
I would guess that the reason to do the biga in the fridge would be to favor the production of acetic vs. lactic acid for a more sour dough. I can't think of any other advantage over RT. You're basically slowing flavor development by 4X when you do.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PizzaSnob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:51:32 AM »
I would guess that the reason to do the biga in the fridge would be to favor the production of acetic vs. lactic acid for a more sour dough. I can't think of any other advantage over RT. You're basically slowing flavor development by 4X when you do.
thank you Craig. You're a legend.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 11:55:47 AM »
Not sure about that but thank you  :-[
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:36:35 PM »
As I mostly never get 18-20°C RT no matter where I make pizza here, my biga is often overfermented and hot. Putting it in the fridge 1H prior to mixing the final dough is a solution to lower the FDT.
Other than that, I don't see the point of making the preferment a CF either, except if it's 48H or more, which in this case is the same as making a direct dough for the same duration  :-\
The point of a preferment IMO is to get a slight over-fermentation...
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline PizzaSnob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 12:08:49 AM »
As I mostly never get 18-20°C RT no matter where I make pizza here, my biga is often overfermented and hot. Putting it in the fridge 1H prior to mixing the final dough is a solution to lower the FDT.
Other than that, I don't see the point of making the preferment a CF either, except if it's 48H or more, which in this case is the same as making a direct dough for the same duration  :-\
The point of a preferment IMO is to get a slight over-fermentation...
thank you for this insight. I appreciate this information. I'll be running some test this weekend.

Offline jma6610

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 12:43:24 AM »
thank you for this insight. I appreciate this information. I'll be running some test this weekend.

While you're doing those tests, stick a thermometer into your dough when you put it in the fridge (if you have one that you can do this with). It's enlightening how long your dough will take to get down to the typical 4C of the refrigerator. I suspect that some of the basic instructional stuff on the web puts preferments in the fridge so that beginners don't over ferment the stuff in hot areas. Putting 25C dough into a 4C fridge is likely going to take 10 hours or so to drop the temp down anywhere close to 4C depending on the size of the ball/bulk, how well insulated the container is, and other things like how much yeast you have that will produce it's own fermentation heat.

wordpress