A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Screen or Lloyd's hex disk pan?  (Read 908 times)

Offline skye1263

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Screen or Lloyd's hex disk pan?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 10:42:05 AM »
Ok thank you @Howitzer21, I will do that!

Offline skye1263

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
@stevenfstein 👋 I've been making my own dough and I am using bread flour mostly. I had used 00 flour for awhile especially when I had the pizza maker ( Hamilton beach) but it never really crisped up very much, I'm sure it wasn't hot enough. So lately I've been using bread flour and I was using Vito iacopelli's recipe. But last week I switched to Charlie Anderson's NY pizza recipe and I actually liked that better. It was his recipe that finally came out decent enough in my ninja oven except the bottom didn't get crisp. But I'm hoping maybe with the info I got on here regarding the screen that maybe I can get a nice and crispy crust.
PS- I was a nurse for 32 years and one of the jobs I had many years ago was as a school nurse. I took care of a boy with the same first and last name as yours ❤️

Offline Howitzer21

• Supporting Member
  • You can't make everyone happy. You're not pizza.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »
@stevenfstein 👋 I've been making my own dough and I am using bread flour mostly. I had used 00 flour for awhile especially when I had the pizza maker ( Hamilton beach) but it never really crisped up very much, I'm sure it wasn't hot enough. So lately I've been using bread flour and I was using Vito iacopelli's recipe. But last week I switched to Charlie Anderson's NY pizza recipe and I actually liked that better. It was his recipe that finally came out decent enough in my ninja oven except the bottom didn't get crisp. But I'm hoping maybe with the info I got on here regarding the screen that maybe I can get a nice and crispy crust.
PS- I was a nurse for 32 years and one of the jobs I had many years ago was as a school nurse. I took care of a boy with the same first and last name as yours ❤️

FWIW I've also been using a modified version of Charlie's recipe (I've added low diastatic malt powder for browning, some vital wheat gluten for a higher protein content, and reduced the yeast slightly) and it's been really successful even in my home oven (using a combination of screen and steel/stone).

If it interests you, my method is posted here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg758630#msg758630
-Zack

Offline skye1263

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 11:22:52 AM »
@Howitzer21, I had put some whole wheat flour in following his recipe but if you had better success with the malt and vital wheat gluten, I will definitely try those. I was born and raised in NYC so grat pizza was all around. Then I moved to NC and good pizza was hard to find but I found one place in Southern Pines called Vito's and it was excellent ( they were originally from NY). But then I listened to a foolish relative that said move to MS and I don't think there is any place here that has even an iota of semi ok pizza. So that's when I decided to try making my own. Even my worst homemade pizza is still better than anything I've gotten here. I will look at your recipe and give that a try as soon as I get the extra ingredients needed. Thanks so much!

Offline Howitzer21

• Supporting Member
  • You can't make everyone happy. You're not pizza.
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2023, 11:35:21 AM »
@Howitzer21, I had put some whole wheat flour in following his recipe but if you had better success with the malt and vital wheat gluten, I will definitely try those. I was born and raised in NYC so grat pizza was all around. Then I moved to NC and good pizza was hard to find but I found one place in Southern Pines called Vito's and it was excellent ( they were originally from NY). But then I listened to a foolish relative that said move to MS and I don't think there is any place here that has even an iota of semi ok pizza. So that's when I decided to try making my own. Even my worst homemade pizza is still better than anything I've gotten here. I will look at your recipe and give that a try as soon as I get the extra ingredients needed. Thanks so much!

Cheers, and good luck! I'm using Anthony's Goods low diastatic malt (60 Linter scale) from Amazon, and Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten that I'm able to find from my local Kroger grocery.
-Zack

Offline stevenfstein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2023, 11:54:24 AM »
Here is a copy of my recipe. I substitute 15% semolina flour for regular (I use all trumps unbleached and un bromated). The semolina definitely adds to the taste (verified by friends and family who eat lots of pizza out) and also adds to the texture. My yeast is based on a CF or 72 hours.

Best... Steve