A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster  (Read 56166 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Re: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »
I had a  translucent "slime" pizza in Lewisburg NC today while piking up an auto part. Friendly 'lil town. The crust was burnt worse than a Jack's cooked on high though... >:(

TOASTY!!!  LOL   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
Pete,

Lol, about the correct translucent slime.  :-D  Do you really know what cheese Papa Dinoís used years ago?  If Papa Dinoís modeled their pizzas after the boardwalk pizzas it sure makes me wonder if they did use more than one cheese on their pizzas.  I really donít know about that though, but the pizza I had at Papa Dinoís did have about the right cheese taste to me.  

Norma

I first heard about the cheese mix from the guy who used to own Nancy Lou's Bar-B-Q in Palmyra sometime back in the nineties.  I distinctly remember him mentioning mozzarella and longhorn but I had forgotten what the third cheese was.  It is definitely Swiss, however.   :)

Every combination of mozzarella, provolone, brick, Colby, and Swiss I've tried so far has tasted great and seem close.  I'm going to have to decide on which three I want to go with so you can try some soon, Norma.  LOL  Right now, I'm leaning toward the mozzarella, Colby, and Swiss combo pending a little adjustment of the proportions of each.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
I first heard about the cheese mix from the guy who used to own Nancy Lou's Bar-B-Q in Palmyra sometime back in the nineties.  I distinctly remember him mentioning mozzarella and longhorn but I had forgotten what the third cheese was.  It is definitely Swiss, however.   :)

Every combination of mozzarella, provolone, brick, Colby, and Swiss I've tried so far has tasted great and seem close.  I'm going to have to decide on which three I want to go with so you can try some soon, Norma.  LOL  Right now, I'm leaning toward the mozzarella, Colby, and Swiss combo pending a little adjustment of the proportions of each.   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for posting where you heard about Papa Dino's blend of cheeses.

Best of luck in all of your efforts!  ;D  Let us know when you get it right.  :chef:

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
, I'm leaning toward the mozzarella, Colby, and Swiss combo pending a little adjustment of the proportions of each.   ;D
+1  looking forward to seeing that one Pete...sounds like a honey.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
50% mozzarella, 30% Colby, 20% Swiss...   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
Glad you're back...Norma and I were just about to come looking for you.  ;D

How did this one taste Pete...does the Colby add any sort of  butteriness flavor?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
Pete,

I see the big grin, was the taste right? 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Glad you're back...Norma and I were just about to come looking for you.  ;D

How did this one taste Pete...does the Colby add any sort of  butteriness flavor?

I never stray too far, Bob.  LOL   :)

This last cheese combo came out pretty good with the correct amount of "slime", I might add.  To me, Colby is a somewhat bland-tasting cheese but not quite as rubbery as its cousin, Monterey Jack.

It is now apparent the distinctive aroma of Papa Dino's pizza comes from the Swiss cheese component and not any of the others including brick.   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
Pete,

I see the big grin, was the taste right? 

Norma

I'm always grinning when I make pizza, Norma.   :)

Yes, I'm quite satisfied with the cheese mix for the moment.  Now, I need to get some Gangi sauce for that final determination.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
I'm always grinning when I make pizza, Norma.   :)

Yes, I'm quite satisfied with the cheese mix for the moment.  Now, I need to get some Gangi sauce for that final determination.   ;D

Pete,

I am glad you are also grinning when you make pizza.  ;D I also look forward to finding out about new results in anything I try too.

I sure don't know where to get one can of the Gangi sauce.  If I did, I would share it with you.  My distributor told me he was going to check, but never got back to me.

Norma

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
I am going to Bump this older thread Sadly Papa Dino's in Lancaster recently closed..(The last remaining location). The original owners (a husband and wife) I BELIEVE THERE WERE 3 OR 4 LOCATIONS TOTAL..Opened up another pizza shop near me in New Cumberland.This was in the 80's/90's.. They were an older couple and were getting ready to retire..A fire I believe closed their shop for good..They kept the recipes the same..The pizza was amazing..Sourdough type thin crust..sauce on the top cheese on the bottom.. I have booked marked this for future use..Thanks to all that have replied to this thread..

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
I am going to Bump this older thread Sadly Papa Dino's in Lancaster recently closed..(The last remaining location). The original owners (a husband and wife) I BELIEVE THERE WERE 3 OR 4 LOCATIONS TOTAL..Opened up another pizza shop near me in New Cumberland.This was in the 80's/90's.. They were an older couple and were getting ready to retire..A fire I believe closed their shop for good..They kept the recipes the same..The pizza was amazing..Sourdough type thin crust..sauce on the top cheese on the bottom.. I have booked marked this for future use..Thanks to all that have replied to this thread..

JF Priest,

Thanks for the information about a Papa Dino pizzeria that was near you in New Cumberland.  I thought there were different Papa Dino's in or near Steelton, for the steelworkers.  Do you recall those?  Maybe the only Papa Dino was in New Cumberland as you posted.  Of course New Cumberland is very near Steelton, just across the river.

Vernon D. Martin (67) that owned the last Papa Dino's on Lincoln Highway East (Bridgeport, Lancaster) passed April 8, 2019.  When he became ill that is when they closed their pizzeria.  I talked to his wife and his daughter, different times at the market where I make pizza.  They come to eat my pizza's now. 

https://www.snyderfuneralhome.com/obituary/vernon-d-martin/

Bob Groff owned the Papa Dino's on Lititz Pike, Lancaster.

https://www.thegroffs.com/obituaries/Robert-L-Groff/

If you are interested in a pizza something like Papa Dino's, you might want to look at the boardwalk thread.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.0

Norma

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
JF Priest,

Thanks for the information about a Papa Dino pizzeria that was near you in New Cumberland.  I thought there were different Papa Dino's in or near Steelton, for the steelworkers.  Do you recall those?  Maybe the only Papa Dino was in New Cumberland as you posted.  Of course New Cumberland is very near Steelton, just across the river.

Vernon D. Martin (67) that owned the last Papa Dino's on Lincoln Highway East (Bridgeport, Lancaster) passed April 8, 2019.  When he became ill that is when they closed their pizzeria.  I talked to his wife and his daughter, different times at the market where I make pizza.  They come to eat my pizza's now. 

https://www.snyderfuneralhome.com/obituary/vernon-d-martin/

Bob Groff owned the Papa Dino's on Lititz Pike, Lancaster.

https://www.thegroffs.com/obituaries/Robert-L-Groff/

If you are interested in a pizza something like Papa Dino's, you might want to look at the boardwalk thread.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.0

Norma

Papa Dino's in Steelton..That is going a way back...My Mom Remembers it but I do not..Would that have been in the 70's ?? where about was the shop?? I had Family in Steelton until their passing just a few years ago.. From what I remember Papa Dino's had a Sourdough type crust..(Would I be correct in this assumption??) Sorry I am very new here and do not know many of the Pizza Terms.. There is a place close to me in the West Shore Farmers Market (Casero's Pizza) (Lemoyne) that has a "Roma" Pizza that tastes very similar..Although their Crust is very thin..

I will check out the Boardwalk Thread..Thanks for the Link.. Where is your Stand ?? I would enjoy trying a fresh medium pie.. I work a lot (To Much) so It may take a while for me to try it..But I can always do a weekend Road Trip.. Thanks again

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2020, 07:07:13 AM »
Papa Dino's in Steelton..That is going a way back...My Mom Remembers it but I do not..Would that have been in the 70's ?? where about was the shop?? I had Family in Steelton until their passing just a few years ago.. From what I remember Papa Dino's had a Sourdough type crust..(Would I be correct in this assumption??) Sorry I am very new here and do not know many of the Pizza Terms.. There is a place close to me in the West Shore Farmers Market (Casero's Pizza) (Lemoyne) that has a "Roma" Pizza that tastes very similar..Although their Crust is very thin..

I will check out the Boardwalk Thread..Thanks for the Link.. Where is your Stand ?? I would enjoy trying a fresh medium pie.. I work a lot (To Much) so It may take a while for me to try it..But I can always do a weekend Road Trip.. Thanks again

JF Priest,

I don't know what years Papa's Dino's might have been open in Steelton.  I only hear about them being open there. 

My pizza stand is at Root's Market in Manheim, Pa.  Only opened Tuesdays. 

If you want to see somewhat what my pizza's look like this is a video when Frank Pinello of the Pizza Show came to visit.

Norma

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »
JF Priest,

I don't know what years Papa's Dino's might have been open in Steelton.  I only hear about them being open there. 

My pizza stand is at Root's Market in Manheim, Pa.  Only opened Tuesdays. 

If you want to see somewhat what my pizza's look like this is a video when Frank Pinello of the Pizza Show came to visit.

Norma

I have seen this somewhere before.. (Did it air on the Food Channel??) I did not realize this was you..Much Congratulations on your accomplishments..(They should have given you more time on that segment) My Mom and her brother go to Root's a couple of times each month..From you video can I ask..DO you like a Firm  (Not Floppy) crispy but not brittle crust?? I see I have a lot of reading to do in the Boardwalk Pizza Thread..126 Pages.. I will be cooking my Pizzas on my Weber Grill using the KettlePizza Gas Pro Deluxe Pizza Oven Kit..  I have a long way to go..But it will be enjoyable..Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to reply to a pizza new guy..

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »
50% mozzarella, 30% Colby, 20% Swiss...   ;D
That looks amazing.... :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
I have seen this somewhere before.. (Did it air on the Food Channel??) I did not realize this was you..Much Congratulations on your accomplishments..(They should have given you more time on that segment) My Mom and her brother go to Root's a couple of times each month..From you video can I ask..DO you like a Firm  (Not Floppy) crispy but not brittle crust?? I see I have a lot of reading to do in the Boardwalk Pizza Thread..126 Pages.. I will be cooking my Pizzas on my Weber Grill using the KettlePizza Gas Pro Deluxe Pizza Oven Kit..  I have a long way to go..But it will be enjoyable..Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to reply to a pizza new guy..

JF Priest,

No it didn't air on the Food Channel.  The Pizza Show is on Vice and YouTube, after it airs one time. 

https://video.vice.com/en_us/show/pizza-show

If you watch the Food Channel you might have seen me on Chopped "Holly Jolly Grandma's".  That episode is now on YouTube. 

Thanks about my accomplishments.  :)

I like a firm not floppy crust, and is somewhat crisp when eaten.

Yea the boardwalk thread is really long.  You can ask questions there though. 

Good to hear what you will be using for an oven. When I first started here I knew nothing about making pizza, so you will learn.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2020, 10:50:55 PM »
JF Priest,

I was probably mistaken about Papa Dino's having pizzeria's in Steelton.  PowerWagonPete posted that Papa Dino's had mobile pizza ovens for the steelworkers in Steelton.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg195285#msg195285

And some more history and posts from PowerWagonPete about Papa Dino's.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg195377#msg195377

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg195685#msg195685

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »
  Norma, power wagon Pete was a hoot but hasn't been around for a few years... miss that guy.
He lived in Penn.   did he ever visit you at your pizza stand Norma?  🍻

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2020, 12:20:23 AM »
  Norma, power wagon Pete was a hoot but hasn't been around for a few years... miss that guy.
He lived in Penn.   did he ever visit you at your pizza stand Norma?  🍻

Bob,

Yes, PowerWagonPete was a hoot.  Miss him too.  This was the one post of his I recall.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg310553#msg310553

Unless I forgot I met him.  My mind can't remember everyone I met. :-D

Norma

wordpress