A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Di Fara Delivery from Goldbelly  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Di Fara Delivery from Goldbelly
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
We've all seen the black char bottoms the difaras will sell to the unassuming.... That carbon flakes falling down into the oven is what the rats adore... It's like a millennial family getting company comped at Walter dizzy World man!!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Josh123

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »
So hygiene isn't part of the equation in your view of a well-run food establishment???

What's the name of your place???

Way to miss the point.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
I haven't made any posts here. So about the frozen food that the OP received: It looks like %$# and I'm 99.9% certain it tasted like %$#. Re: freaking out about cleanliness. If you open up again, be sure to link your customers to your post here about "freakin out about how clean it is or isn't." You could also tell them you are using certified Di Fara mouse %$# powder on you pies! I'm sure it will be a real selling point.

Yeah, when I open up again, Iíll make a cardboard blow up of this thread and post it as artwork on the wall  :-D

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
Way to miss the point.

Help me out here, Mr. 123.

Very simple question:  Does hygiene not matter in a food establishment?

I want to understand where you'e coming from.

Maybe it's a local thing.  Perhaps hygiene means less in Pittsburgh as it does elsewhere?

;D ;D ;D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 11:23:35 AM »
Rockaway Pizza somewhere in Pittsburgh area. Youíd have a fun debate with Josh (I did.) His benchmark slice is Amore in Queens. Totally different than a Joeís slice  ;D

Maybe it's a local thing.  Perhaps hygiene means less in Pittsburgh as it does elsewhere?

;D ;D ;D

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Call me a simple, dumb old man.

I love debating "favorite" slices. Because there's no right answer, it's very personal.

Proper hygiene, on the other hand, is not debateable.

Or has that changed?  ::)

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I think, for most people, itís difficult to envision how filthy a busy restaurant kitchen can get in a day of preparing food. Itís even more difficult to picture how that is compounded over a week.... or months. I think both of us, having worked in professional kitchens, know what a make-station is going to look like after a busy Friday or Saturday. When we walk into a spot like DiFara, it only takes a peak back into the kitchen to see how filthy it really is.

You see flour crusted around the marble, debris under the unit, dirty oven handles, food debris caked on utensils.... the list goes on. I canít bring myself to eat anything from that spot and havenít for years now. Iíve seen gather back prep kitchen in videos and itís even worse than the front.

Regarding GoldBelly, I donít know the legality of how they prepare and ship frozen food like that but I find it hard to believe itís all completely kosher. There is literally no oversight in the preparation process. Robertaís is the exception - they had to go through a lot to get into grocery stores. But Prince Street Pizza is another example - itís a fully cooked pie they cool and freeze then ship. You have to be really careful cooking freezing and reheating fully cooked meat products like pepperoni.

Call me a simple, dumb old man.

I love debating "favorite" slices. Because there's no right answer, it's very personal.

Proper hygiene, on the other hand, is not debateable.

Or has that changed?  ::)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 03:47:50 PM »
Having worked in kitchens on and off for 45 years I can say there is a spectrum of "clean".  I was taught at home how to clean and any food place I worked in kept a  very clean space.  If it was funky I wouldn't work there.  My mother taught me to clean every day and then it is not hard to keep it clean.  Places that let it lag fall and do spot cleaning fall into the Dirty category.  The board of health tells us we are the cleanest space in Reno.  To me it is common sense.  Keep it clean keeps it safe.  Watching dates on food, temps in coolers, are another thing funky places don't do.  We would never want to get anyone sick.  I have never eaten at Di Fara's and never will.
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »
To me the secret is clean all the time.  You've used something then clean it.  And clean weekly too, the things you don't normally do.  If you don't it just adds up and gets a big mess quickly..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2020, 04:28:56 PM »
To me the secret is clean all the time.  You've used something then clean it.  And clean weekly too, the things you don't normally do.  If you don't it just adds up and gets a big mess quickly..

If all food places did this it would be a lot more fun to eat out.  The board of health inspectors tell me they can only enjoy eating at a few places in town.  If people saw how bad things were in kitchen cleanliness and prep procedures  they wouldn't eat at most of the places they love.  A typical food prep procedure is : take out ground pork, beef, cheeses to be used in cooking, all at once.  Sometimes they don't get to the stuff for an hour or more and will let the finished product sit on the counter for long times before cooking. Another is cutting meat and then veggies that will be served raw on the same cutting boards/bowls without cleaning first. I remember when they smoked in the kitchen too.... I could go on and on.  For me having the owner on site always made for a clean space but not in this case it seems. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:31:13 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
I've worked in several restaurants, and it's the big reason that I really don't like going out to eat...

I remember once in Spain in a really small eatery by the beach, I had to go to the bathroom which meant that I had to pass through the kitchen.  I was surprised that at this place that predominately served sea food and fish, the kitchen didn't smell of fish, just of salt water!  We ended up eating there a lot, and it was very good.  In the end we had grilled lobster a few times, no sauce, no nothing.  Just cut in half and grilled in it's own juices!

But back to cleaning.  It's easy to see for oneself.  Just wipe the bathroom sink clean after using it, it'll always look spotless and you can forego most of the normal cleaning tasks..  The same in the kitchen, you use something, then clean it directly instead of smoking or watching something cook.  The reward comes when the food has been consumed and all you have left to clean are plates, knives/forks and glasses!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 06:08:34 PM »
I am more amazed that an Owner of a Food Establishment on this forum has a problem with Cleanliness than the History of DiFara  456

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2020, 08:33:25 PM »
If all food places did this it would be a lot more fun to eat out.  The board of health inspectors tell me they can only enjoy eating at a few places in town.  If people saw how bad things were in kitchen cleanliness and prep procedures  they wouldn't eat at most of the places they love.  A typical food prep procedure is : take out ground pork, beef, cheeses to be used in cooking, all at once.  Sometimes they don't get to the stuff for an hour or more and will let the finished product sit on the counter for long times before cooking. Another is cutting meat and then veggies that will be served raw on the same cutting boards/bowls without cleaning first. I remember when they smoked in the kitchen too.... I could go on and on.  For me having the owner on site always made for a clean space but not in this case it seems.

how long can cooked food (slices) be left out for?

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2020, 08:44:27 PM »
I think, for most people, itís difficult to envision how filthy a busy restaurant kitchen can get in a day of preparing food. Itís even more difficult to picture how that is compounded over a week.... or months. I think both of us, having worked in professional kitchens, know what a make-station is going to look like after a busy Friday or Saturday. When we walk into a spot like DiFara, it only takes a peak back into the kitchen to see how filthy it really is.

You see flour crusted around the marble, debris under the unit, dirty oven handles, food debris caked on utensils.... the list goes on. I canít bring myself to eat anything from that spot and havenít for years now. Iíve seen gather back prep kitchen in videos and itís even worse than the front.

Joe's is extremely clean.  It helps that there's no cooking, no fryers, etc.  The key is setting up stores with cleaning in mind: Everything is tiled, very easy to wipe down.  All filters get blown out daily - that helps keep the flour out and compressors running efficiently.  Having wheels on stations and refrigerators - so you can easily pull away from the wall and clean everywhere. 

Regarding GoldBelly, I donít know the legality of how they prepare and ship frozen food like that but I find it hard to believe itís all completely kosher. There is literally no oversight in the preparation process. Robertaís is the exception - they had to go through a lot to get into grocery stores. But Prince Street Pizza is another example - itís a fully cooked pie they cool and freeze then ship. You have to be really careful cooking freezing and reheating fully cooked meat products like pepperoni.

Here's the thing with Goldbelly and frozen pizza in general.  When the University of Michigan closed down, Joe's was done.  The light switch went off.  They weren't selling 10 pies a day.  A decision was made to get back to frozen pies thru Goldbelly - which they had stopped because the pie just wasn't well-received.

So they ordered dry ice and two industrial freezers and are working out of the shop.  Forget the price: $40 for a 14" pie.  They're baking a pie 3/4 way, adding a bit more cheese and then putting it in the freezer.

They're missing a critical step:  it needs to go into a flash freezer first, then  shrink-wrapped and put into a deep freezer until shipping.

Great article here from guys who know...

https://www.dogtownpizza.com/blog/the-science-of-frozen-pizza/

Roberta's also does it the right way.  Their frozen business is totally separate.  They have a great manufacturing space in the old Pfizer Building on Flushing Ave.  Because that's what it is: a manufacturing business.

I understand Art vs Commerce.  Especially when rent is due and your customer base has vanished.  Hard decisions need to be made short-term.  But at what cost long-term?

Getting back to DiFara's.  I lived in Flatbush in the early 00s.  3 stops on the Q to DiFara's.  I used to go often enough in spite of the filth, which stunned me enough to post about it on Chowhound in 2004. 

https://www.chowhound.com/post/difaras-fan-sanitary-conditions-243821?page=4

Of course I was shouted down.

That was before it evolved into a disorganized 2-3 hour ordeal.  I've been back twice since 2013 - both times at the insistence of someone else.  I'll never go back again.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
Put his hand out and expect a tip?

Been there, done that. NYC in the 90s was a free-for-all. Those days are over...

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
Roberta's also does it the right way.  Their frozen business is totally separate.  They have a great manufacturing space in the old Pfizer Building on Flushing Ave.  Because that's what it is: a manufacturing business.
Sorry about Joeís Ann Arbor. Nothing you could have done. I know you worked long and hard getting it established.

I grew up in a 24 hour USDA supervised frozen pizza family business. It was always about manufacturing and productionóand safety re food and employees both. There was a quality control department and an R&D department. Capacity was 60 pizzas/minute 16 hours a day; 3rd shift everything was broken down and steam cleaned. Time since the last lost-time accident/injury was posted on the production room wall. People took great pride in keeping each day accident free. There was a company picnin and a Christmas party every year. Close to 600 people worked there. It was like a big family. Three union drives and none succeeded. It was sold to a major food company in two parts in 1976 & 1981. Still today a month doesnít go by that I do not see or hear from somebody about those days. Working there from a very young age I learned so much.
-Tony

Offline dineomite

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
There are SOOO many other pizza shops in NY that pay their taxes, clean their kitchens, and offer up a pleasant atmosphere for diners. I cringe every time a friend tells me they went to DiFara.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »
Mental on so many levels.

I can't get past you paying that much for a #*%$ pizza or two, let alone the rest. :-D Well fair play for telling us all about it though. ;D

Offline Josh123

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Considering NY gives out Zagat best in the city awards to these dirty shops, what does that say about NY?  :-D

Offline Josh123

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »
There are SOOO many other pizza shops in NY that pay their taxes, clean their kitchens, and offer up a pleasant atmosphere for diners. I cringe every time a friend tells me they went to DiFara.

None of them as good as when Dom was making pizza.