A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anthony Falco Pizza Czar  (Read 4335 times)

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Anthony Falco Pizza Czar
« on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »
Available May 18th - anyone have a preview copy or an opinion of how good this might be?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1419747843/?tag=pmak-20

Offline psedillo

Re: Anthony Falco Pizza Czar
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
I've got a pre-order in and would also be interested to hear feedback on this book.
Paul

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »
No idea what he does or doesn't know about pizza, but I did have some very disappointing slices from Upside, a place in NYC that he consulted. Not good.

Offline psedillo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
No idea what he does or doesn't know about pizza, but I did have some very disappointing slices from Upside, a place in NYC that he consulted. Not good.

That is good to know and I appreciate the insight on places he consulted. Makes me wonder if I should just cancel the order.
Paul

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »

I got lucky and had good slices at Upside on two different occasions. I wouldn't buy the book though as he does not seem to share much...
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »
That is good to know and I appreciate the insight on places he consulted. Makes me wonder if I should just cancel the order.
With 20/20 hindsight, I think i have found most pizza books lacking. In terms of dough and dough management, I'd argue you are better off going through a thread like the post a pic of your pie, finding something you like and then trying to make it. Anyone posting there will happily give you the formula and process they used. One just has to dial it in for themselves. Book or forum thread, one still needs practice opening and launching. To me, the best part of going through a book is the topping combinations and variations on sauces. I'm happy with my red sauce, but there or some interesting takes on white sauces.

I wouldn't argue I knew more about dough than an author, but I regularly felt like I knew more about dough than what the author is presenting in the book. Right off the bat, if they are using cups of flour in the recipe with no weights, I'm out. But that's me and my craziness.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »
With 20/20 hindsight, I think i have found most pizza books lacking. In terms of dough and dough management, I'd argue you are better off going through a thread like the post a pic of your pie, finding something you like and then trying to make it. Anyone posting there will happily give you the formula and process they used. One just has to dial it in for themselves. Book or forum thread, one still needs practice opening and launching. To me, the best part of going through a book is the topping combinations and variations on sauces. I'm happy with my red sauce, but there or some interesting takes on white sauces.

I wouldn't argue I knew more about dough than an author, but I regularly felt like I knew more about dough than what the author is presenting in the book. Right off the bat, if they are using cups of flour in the recipe with no weights, I'm out. But that's me and my craziness.

Exactly! Cups are as bad as a recipe that calls for one package of yeast! I saw two of his zoom presentations, he did not reveal any good info at all...
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
I got lucky and had good slices at Upside on two different occasions. I wouldn't buy the book though as he does not seem to share much...
I bought two slices, was there with my wife and kids. We were just like, really? Didn't finish either slice. They're still open so, others must have had similar experiences as yours.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:01 PM »
Pizza book are made for people who want to up their pizza game from bad to OK or who have misguided fantasies of going from OK to great. The market of people who are willing to do what it takes to make great pizza however could never support a book.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:27:29 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 08:45:33 PM »
Absolutely what Jon and Craig said about books.
And, uh, 'Czar'?? Is that a good thing?
My experience with Upside was like Hans'. Beside my first trip rhere..with Hans..where Upside had to follow Song e Napule..tough competition..I went a couple of times more. And found them very tasty and excellent texture
 But that was in 2019 while still in NJ...its in such a busy location that even  sub-par pizza would still sell  very well.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci's Pizzeria
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »
I flipped thru it - it's a nice looking book. Haven't really gone thru it yet and I've lent it out...
Bellucci's Pizzeria
37-08 30th Avenue
Astoria, New York

IG: @The_Bellucci

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »
That's a nice note for sure, maybe the Czar part is tongue in cheek?

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci's Pizzeria
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 09:36:44 PM »
That's a nice note for sure, maybe the Czar part is tongue in cheek?

There's a story behind it, but I haven't read it.

I'll read thru it. It's a very nice looking book and there's some interesting non-pizza recipes, for toppings and stuff. I like the way it was laid out.

Anthony stopped by un-announced a couple of Wednesdays ago at lunch. I recognized him right off, though we hadn't met before. Spoke for about an hour and he was very personable.

He's not very popular with a couple of my friends, but that's between them. I'm not gonna be a dick to someone who treks out to try my pizza. I extend professional courtesy to anyone in the business. And to anyone not in the business as well...
Bellucci's Pizzeria
37-08 30th Avenue
Astoria, New York

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci's Pizzeria
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
People who are willing to do what it takes to make great pizza don't need a book.

Fixed it for you...
Bellucci's Pizzeria
37-08 30th Avenue
Astoria, New York

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 02:29:20 PM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Looks like there will be a discussion tomorrow evening with Scott of Scott's Pizza Tour and Joe Rosenthal on this article Joe wrote about Falco's past.

https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/falco-one

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 04:06:13 PM »
Available May 18th - anyone have a preview copy or an opinion of how good this might be?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1419747843/?tag=pmak-20
Apparently people have some strong opinions of a book they have yet to read. Yikes. The best reviewers of cookbooks are those that don't know diddly about the subject to start with. Old pro pizza makers are too biased to offer up good critiques.

Even if I don't like a particular cookbook, I usually glean some tidbit of knowledge making the read worthwhile. I borrow from library and then buy it if I think it worthwhile to own.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Looks like there will be a discussion tomorrow evening with Scott of Scott's Pizza Tour and Joe Rosenthal on this article Joe wrote about Falco's past.

That was interesting. I had no idea. Makes you read this 2018 article in Bon Appetit a bit differently:

"Falco, who you might know as the guy who put Roberta’s on the map, left the legendary Brooklyn institution a few years ago..."

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/anthony-falco-robertas-pizza-consultant

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on this discussion. It’ll be on Instagram live tonight at 6: https://www.instagram.com/p/CO8VOqHDj91/
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »
There’s more information on a Chef Boyardee Cheese pizza box than his Zoom classes. No reason to believe the Czar will deliver this time with a book.

wordpress