A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)  (Read 226 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)
« on: June 15, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
4 stars for the pizza, 2.5 for the service.  This was the first time having a professionally prepared Detroit style pizza.  The crust was baked nicely.  The exterior was crisp, cheese frico on the outer edges, and it was light on the inside.  Their sausage was particularly good.  The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

The average age of the wait staff is probably 19.  Our waiter didn't know how to uncork a wine bottle until I showed him how, but he was clearly experienced in lighting up reefer .  He had the giggles and moved at a snail's pace the entire evening.  The other waitresses were generally nice and did not appear to be impaired, but they worked at the same tempo.  The Italian Dolcetto wine was passable, but it's not a $50 bottle.      From what I've been able to gather, Nashville is generally a beer town.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
So is this an outpost of the Brooklyn shop? I do see it's filled with hipsters :-D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »
So is this an outpost of the Brooklyn shop? I do see it's filled with hipsters :-D

More like replacement hip-sters ;-D.  They were a group of widows ranging from ages 84-98.  One of the other dining areas was filled with the Vanderbilt baseball team (not photographed).   They have three locations scattered throughout Nashville. 

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
Pizza looks legit!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
4 stars for the pizza, 2.5 for the service.  This was the first time having a professionally prepared Detroit style pizza.  The crust was baked nicely.  The exterior was crisp, cheese frico on the outer edges, and it was light on the inside.  Their sausage was particularly good.  The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

The average age of the wait staff is probably 19.  Our waiter didn't know how to uncork a wine bottle until I showed him how, but he was clearly experienced in lighting up reefer .  He had the giggles and moved at a snail's pace the entire evening.  The other waitresses were generally nice and did not appear to be impaired, but they worked at the same tempo.  The Italian Dolcetto wine was passable, but it's not a $50 bottle.      From what I've been able to gather, Nashville is generally a beer town.

I was in Louisville a few weekends ago and ate at the Emmy Squared location there - it was one of the better pizzas I had while in the city. Your assessment is spot on.

Ironically the most touted pizza in Louisville was the biggest letdown as it was undercooked dough with a lack of cohesion.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:02:16 AM by psedillo »
Paul

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

What don't you like? I think it all depends. Canned tomatoes are cooked when canned. When sauce is applied pre-bake, it is cooked again, so twice in total. For DS, tomatoes are cooked when canned, the sauce is cooked then applied post-bake, also only cooked twice. That said, I and many DS makers apply uncooked(or once cooked when canned) sauce pre-bake.

I would agree that using canned(cooked) tomatoes, cooking the sauce then applying pre-bake is undesirable.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
My daughter ordered the pizza sticks which had the sauce on the side.  As per their cookbook it has oil, onion, garlic confit, garlic oil salt, oregano, salt and white wine. Everything but the tomatoes are cooked, then it's added to the tomatoes.  Then it's cooked on the pie.  Although this is similar to the MAE approach, the finished flavor wasn't bright as I prefer.  It wasn't bad by any means, but it's not as good as mine ;-D

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:50:38 AM »
Excellent review. That place is 15m away, although I've never tried it.

Next time your in town, check out Folk.
https://www.instagram.com/goodasfolk/

wordpress