A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Quad Cities dough recipes  (Read 121 times)

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
Quad Cities dough recipes
« on: August 10, 2022, 06:51:32 PM »
Gonna start by saying I've never been there, never had it. I just think it's an interesting idea.

As I understand it, the dough is in fact sweetened. It's generally agreed that it is sweetened with "malt" which I tend to interpret as malt syrup or malt extract (same thing) rather than malt flour.

Since I also have some experience in home brewing, I'm aware that "diastatic" malt flour means that its ground malted grain, probably barley, that has enough amylase enzyme in it to self-convert the starches to sugars. In fact, malted barley typically has enough alpha and beta amylase to convert a lot more than its own starch, though the limits of adjunct grist escape me at the moment. Since the enzymes would be destroyed by the heat produced by some milling practices, I presume the diastatic stuff has to be milled cold.

Malt extract or malt syrup is what you get as a result of that conversion. You can get malt extract in liquid (consistency like honey) or dry form. Dry sounds at first like it is easier to handle but it is crazy hygroscopic and the dry form is very sticky and annoying to work with in its own right. I would personally rather pour liquid malt extract from a jug than scoop dry malt extract from a bag or container, having experienced both. Unfortunately, LME for homebrewing is generally sold in large, non-reclosable plastic-and-foil bags. So it goes. but I do have a small jug of LME labeled "malt syrup".

Now that we have that out of the way, this makes misc recipes for quad cities pizza dough that specify non-diastatic malt flour sort of suspect.

From what I've found, that chiefly leads me to the recipe published by PMQ a few years ago here: https://www.pmq.com/the-pizza-kitchen-quad-cities-style-pizza/

25 lbs. high-gluten flour
11.75 lbs. water (cold as possible without using ice)
6.3g instant dry yeast (activated in warm water)
56g malt syrup (non-diastatic)
71g sea salt
50g sugar

As we have established, "diastatic malt syrup" would be a nonsense ingredient, so i don't know why they specified non-diastatic.

When you do the math on this it comes out to 47% hydration. Which seems a bit low to me.

And then there's the recipe that the washington post published in 2016 here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/quad-cities-style-pizza/15158/

4 ounces (1/2 cup) warm water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast, preferably SAF brand
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) malt syrup (see headnote)
4 1/2 cups (18 ounces) bread flour, or more as needed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2/3 cup (5 1/3 ounces) ice water

Super weird how water is listed twice, but it still comes out to about 47%. And they included what looks like sauce seasonings in there too. Very weird. As though someone conflated a bunch of hand-written notes.

The yeast quantity on both of these is pretty low too. A quarter teaspoon vs. half a kilo of flour? Gonna be a slow rise maybe.

So I'm interested if anyone here has some experience with the quad cities style or can comment on the hydration and yeast quantity looking pretty strange in both of these.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:53:46 PM by Timpanogos Slim »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress