A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ooni Koda 16 + Pizza Steel?  (Read 434 times)

Offline Bill-99

• I Love Pizza!
Ooni Koda 16 + Pizza Steel?
« on: August 15, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »
After lots of trial and error (emphasis on the error part), I've started getting pretty good results out of this oven, but now the stone looks pretty beat up, no doubt from novice abuse. It seems likely that it will need to be replaced at some point, and those replacement stones are definitely pricey.

Before using the Ooni, I made pizza on a 14" x 16" x 0.25" steel in an indoor range. Just for grins, I swapped out the Ooni stone for my steel to see if it would fit, and it fits pretty well. But wow, steels are heavier than stones. Any thoughts on whether the weight of a steel is too much for these ovens? Or maybe the oven needs additional support when using a steel but I'm not sure what to do there. Suggestions and insight would be welcome!

Offline steeloven347

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ooni Koda 16 + Pizza Steel?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
Weight of 1/4" should not be a big deal, i've seen people put steels in Ooni's before without issue.

Burning may be an issue though, let us know how it goes.

Offline Bill-99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Interestingly, I just had this conversation with my wife and she basically said "Weigh the stone and the steel. Then decide what to do." Smart lady. Turns out there's less than 4 lbs difference between my 0.25" steel and the stone. I'm going to give the steel a trial run the next time we make pizza.

Offline Bill-99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 07:45:57 PM »
Well, this could have been better.

I finally had a chance to give the pizza steel we had on hand a try. Overall, I'm not happy with the results. Even on the lowest setting, the back left corner of the steel was about 850 degrees dropping to about 650 in the front right. The first pizza was decent enough but the second burned in a flash. Ugh. I'll be dropping back to the stone and replacing it as needed.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress