A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Factors that affect Bread Ear formation  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Factors that affect Bread Ear formation
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2018, 11:06:05 AM »
Great looking loaves and ears Mathew.  I'm definitely looking forward to working with more whole grains in the near future.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:20 AM »
Chau -- Are you baking on top of a steel or stone in your oven, or just going with the wire rack? Also, are you using a pan of water at the bottom of your oven to add steam?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
Chau,
This is pretty consistent for me.  I think it's a combination of fermentation and scoring.  70% fresh milled and bolted (Spelt, Red Hard Wheat,Durum,Rye) & 30% Organic Bread Flour @ 75% Hydration.

Those are like Star Trek Vulcan ears  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
Chau,
This is pretty consistent for me.  I think it's a combination of fermentation and scoring.  70% fresh milled and bolted (Spelt, Red Hard Wheat,Durum,Rye) & 30% Organic Bread Flour @ 75% Hydration.

It must be something with the durum... I've never failed to get a huge ear with Hamelman's semolina sourdough formula, even when I was sure it was a fail; under/over fermented, slack, too tight, it always gives a great ear.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:33:00 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Matthew

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
Great looking loaves and ears Mathew.  I'm definitely looking forward to working with more whole grains in the near future.

Thanks Chau.  Sourdough bread with fresh milled flour & long fermentation is life changing.  You need to give it a try!

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
Those are like Star Trek Vulcan ears  ;D

LOL.  I prefer the ears to be a bid more tame.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
Wow.  Nice looking loaves Steve.  I've misplaced my Hammelman book, otherwise I'd give it a try.  Would you mind posting his durum % and hydration?  I could probably Google it as well.  One of issues I've identified for my lack of ears is lack of continuous heat.  With a saturated WFO, I could see that solving my heat issue.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »

Thanks Chau.  Sourdough bread with fresh milled flour & long fermentation is life changing.  You need to give it a try!

Matt

I will do.  I will look into it.  I've been doing long ferments so that will be perfect.  Thank you Mathew!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Chau -- Are you baking on top of a steel or stone in your oven, or just going with the wire rack? Also, are you using a pan of water at the bottom of your oven to add steam?

I'll either bake on a stone with a SS metal bowl covering the bread to trap steam or a cast iron  Lodge combo cooker   

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »
Wow.  Nice looking loaves Steve.  I've misplaced my Hammelman book, otherwise I'd give it a try.  Would you mind posting his durum % and hydration?  I could probably Google it as well.  One of issues I've identified for my lack of ears is lack of continuous heat.  With a saturated WFO, I could see that solving my heat issue.

That batch is  60% durum, 40% KA A/P, 67% hydration, 1.8% salt. The levain is 15% of the total flour (taken from KA A/P) at 125% hydration. Two hour bulk (fold at 1 hour), shaped, and proofed seam up on a couche sprinkled with sesame seeds
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:17 PM »
Great video. Now i know what bread ears are. Iím probably doomed to trying to make these. I buy what look like similar rolls at the Portuguese store in Belleville . Super great rolls.
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Chau, I came across this tonight while looking for something else. I watched all of it - itís worthwhile. All things you have mentioned or at least thought about, Iím sure, but in context of 1 through 6 things that have to happen to improve your odds consistently. 7 1/2 min fwiw.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2018, 07:33:04 AM »
Nice find.   Thank you for posting that up Tony. I think one of my faults is proofing up the loaf too much, which in turn seems to decrease that surface tension. 

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
Got a nice double ear today on an underproofed loaf.   I proofed this one to only 30-40% volume expansion by eye.  I usually proof my loaves until they are nearly doubled, or 100%.  As a result the crumb took a slight hit on this one.  It was still good but definitely not at it's potential.  I'll have to push Cold proof further along bit by bit. 

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2018, 07:22:06 PM »
That is a pretty good look, Chau. It will be interesting to see if you are able to maintain the exterior while getting the interior as you would like it. Seems like you are there outside. Inside looks good to me too but itís you that has to love it.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
Thank you Tony.  I've gone from no ears to getting ears with a semi dense crumb, to getting ears with a more open and really good crumb.  Yesterday's bake was one such loaf.  I'm going to see if I can push it a bit further.  Ears with a really open crumb. 

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
So this just came out the oven.  This is more what I'm after.  Nice ear and open crumb structure.  This one is 80% WW, so I'm quite pleased with this.  These high % whole grain loaves are notorious for dense crumbs. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:26:34 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »
Thatís gorgeous, Chau!!!!! Great work!!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:54 AM »
Thanks Aric!  I'm slowly figuring it out. 

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:51 PM »
Thinking of you with this loaf. Straight from the oven.