Alternative pans for Detroit style pizza

Started by michaeljc70, January 08, 2021, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

michaeljc70

I've been making Detroit style pizza in a cheap, non-stick 9x13 cake pan.  It comes it pretty good, but isn't as crispy as I'd like especially on the underside.  I really don't want to add any new pans for just one type of pizza.  I am considering 3 alternatives using what I have and wondering which would work best:

1)  Preheat my stone and place the cake pan on that.  That probably will help the bottom but not do anything for the sides.
2)  Use a round cast iron pan.  Obviously this wouldn't be traditional and you wouldn't get those nice corners
3)  Use an enameled cast iron rectangular roasting pan.  I have a Le Creuset pan and it says it is good to 500 degrees.

Thanks

nickyr

Quote from: michaeljc70 on January 08, 2021, 12:59:32 PM
I've been making Detroit style pizza in a cheap, non-stick 9x13 cake pan.  It comes it pretty good, but isn't as crispy as I'd like especially on the underside.  I really don't want to add any new pans for just one type of pizza.  I am considering 3 alternatives using what I have and wondering which would work best:

1)  Preheat my stone and place the cake pan on that.  That probably will help the bottom but not do anything for the sides.
2)  Use a round cast iron pan.  Obviously this wouldn't be traditional and you wouldn't get those nice corners
3)  Use an enameled cast iron rectangular roasting pan.  I have a Le Creuset pan and it says it is good to 500 degrees.

Thanks
I'm not sure putting a non stick pan on a stone is safe. You may need to research that. The other two options would probably work though. I use a Lloyd pans Detroit pan and place it on the stone.

michaeljc70

Quote from: nickyr on January 09, 2021, 09:07:47 PM
I'm not sure putting a non stick pan on a stone is safe. You may need to research that. The other two options would probably work though. I use a Lloyd pans Detroit pan and place it on the stone.

To be honest, before you responded I wondered if the non-stick pan was safe at the 475 I put it at. 

nickyr

Quote from: michaeljc70 on January 09, 2021, 10:41:25 PM
To be honest, before you responded I wondered if the non-stick pan was safe at the 475 I put it at.
Probably not :-) you may get away with it because the large volume of dough may be keeping it cool. But if it's a traditional Teflon pan that's probably way to hot

mikep


A D V E R T I S E M E N T


HansB

Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Pizza is bread - Joe Beddia

A D V E R T I S E M E N T