A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Four Grand Mère F950B with 2 Doors!  (Read 2319 times)

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
Four Grand Mère F950B with 2 Doors!
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:50:25 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here but have been lurking for some months reading the fantastic build projects from many of you in particular!
I'm in the process of starting a barn conversion in the South of France and looking to install a wood burning oven.
I have the advantage of being able to design it into the fabric of the build somewhat and from FGM's website, I see they do the F950B in an option of 2 doors with the doors at 90 deg, 135 deg or 180 deg from each other.

My thinking is that I will have one door flush with the inside wall of the house in the kitchen and so the bulk of the oven exterior with a door onto a terrace for outdoor seating and dining. OR, the opposite with the bulk of the oven internal and the outer door flush with the outer wall for again dining on the terrace.

So, does anyone here have experience of these oven with 2 doors? Both doors would of course have the internal insulated door of course and the unused door on any particular day would have the insulated door in place for the duration of the use.

My main focus is Neopolitan style pizza with a secondary use as a traditional French bread oven.

Thanks for any insight!

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Four Grand Mère F950B with 2 Doors!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »
No one any experience then?

Any thoughts otherwise? Is this a terrible idea? Any experienced users amongst you foresee any critical issues?

Offline derricktung

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
I've had 950B experience, but not with the two door model.  My instinct would tell me that trapping the heat would be very difficult, even with an insulated door, as the heat will find the weak points to escape from, and around doors where there are moveable parts, I"m guessing it would definitely find it's way out.  Keeping high temps (800-1000+) maybe slightly more difficult to achieve.

I'm no engineer though, so I'll let someone else answer the questions.

I was very happy with my 950B model as well.  Antoine (breadstoneovens) may be a better source of knowledge on the double door option?

Offline breadstoneovens

• Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »
Hi there,

I have not sold any FGM 950 B with 2 doors in the US. Bigger ovens like the 1400 B 2 entries yes, but nothing smaller.

You plan of installation of the oven is exactly how it was intended to be.

Indeed, as you mentioned, only one door can be open at a time.
The opening that is closed should be closed with the insulated door, the cast iron door and the damper. If you want to retain more heat you can put a piece of insulation right against the close insulated door.
When you order, ask FGM to sell you a pieces of Calsil ( if you want send me a PM with your name and I'll them to put in the extra piece of insulation for free). It is calcium silicate insulation board; easy to cut, shape and use.
That way it will be about as well insulated as the rest of the dome.

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:19 AM »
Thank you for your detailed reply Antoine and derricktung for your input.

As I'm early in the design phase I won't yet call on your assistance with contacting FGM but thanks for the offer. I think we will continue then with designing for a 2 door oven as it seems possible not to over compromise the performance, and the avenues it opens are too good to ignore.

I will report back when I've more info!

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:48:37 AM »
Sounds like quite the plan. It might not be optimal with two doors, but I think that once you get to know your oven you'll be amazed at what you're able to prepare in it. My first wfo was a square box and after a while I made pretty decent Neopolitan pies in it, you should have no problem with this oven.

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:16 PM »
Well after 5 and half short years, the installation has finally begun!

In the end we chose the raised double entry at 180deg.
Also we changed it's location in the build so that we'd have it flush with the exterior wall - and where it overhangs internally, to build around storage and workspace so that it also ends up flush with the inner finished condition.

Still lots to do but getting there!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:36:05 PM by enda1 »

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »
Quite to project.

FYI - I clicked on your link, then I clicked the "Next" button and it crashed all my browser windows.
Don't know if that was a fluke or not, but thought I'd mention it.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
Quite to project.

FYI - I clicked on your link, then I clicked the "Next" button and it crashed all my browser windows.
Don't know if that was a fluke or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Sorry, I'd meant to delete that link! I initially tried to embed the photos but that doesn't seem to be allowed here strangely.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »
looks amazing !!  sure it will work out Fine with proper door and insulation in place  Great oven !! 

John C
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »
enda1,

I tried once couple years ago a 2-doors pizza oven, I'm not sure if it's the same design or not, but one door was for the wood, and one for the pizza, with a rotating floor. The oven was quite big, I guess this permits to have a smaller door only for pizza? Besides, you can add wood without the risk that it fells on a pizza? (check photo bellow - that's the only one I have)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
enda1,

I tried once couple years ago a 2-doors pizza oven, I'm not sure if it's the same design or not, but one door was for the wood, and one for the pizza, with a rotating floor. The oven was quite big, I guess this permits to have a smaller door only for pizza? Besides, you can add wood without the risk that it fells on a pizza? (check photo bellow - that's the only one I have)

In my oven, both doors are identical and serve the same purpose. The idea is that only one can be used per firing. You choose to operate the oven from inside the house (say in winter) and therefore the outdoor door remains closed insulating the insulation door. And the contrary in summer.

Thanks for your message nonetheless

Enda

Offline enda1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
A question for all you learned folk:

The oven I'm installing (a 950B raised 2 entry) is being built into the wall of the house, so the flue will be in the inhabited interior, travelling vertically through the roof. I was surprised to find that there is no recommendation to insulate this flue. Is this your opinion/guidance too? In fact FGM said NOT to insulate it as it could lead to condensation issues which seems the contrary to me to be honest.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as maybe there was a miscommunication between myself and FGM and I think I need to call them back armed with some more info if you think I'm right.

Many thanks!

wordpress