A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Forno Piombo 36" vs Forno Bravo Vesuvio90 vs ???  (Read 2498 times)

Offline RiverMH

• I Love Pizza!
Forno Piombo 36" vs Forno Bravo Vesuvio90 vs ???
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »
Group,

First thank you for allowing me to be a part of this forum.  I have gathered information here for a while now, but have just recently signed up.

I am in the market for an outdoor wood fired pizza oven.  I currently have an Uuni Pro that I love but the dream has always been "the real deal".  I have done research but it is clear, I have a lot to learn.  Currently, I am looking at the Forno Piombo 36" and the Forno Bravo Vesuvio90.  Both are "expensive" and both take quit a bit of effort and money to get here to my house in Georgia.  I am prepared for that.  I am seeking knowledge and experience from this forum on the pros and cons of these ovens as well as any other ovens you may recommend.

Obviously, I have a passion for cooking pizza. I primary cook Neapolitan style pizzas.  I also, love to cook artisan breads, the kids love fresh tortillas, all that.  Cooking meats in this oven would be something I would enjoy learning to do well.  Maybe even a turkey or a large cut of pork.  Seems I am wanting a versatile oven, but one thing I am absolutely sure of is I want a quality built oven from a company with excellent customer service.

Anyway, I thank you in advance for any advice, experience, knowledge you are willing to share.

Best Regards,

Jason

Offline Martianpc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Forno Piombo 36" vs Forno Bravo Vesuvio90 vs ???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »
Bumping his thread, I too would love thoughts on this exact question.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
I'm not sure anyone here has either oven. I can't remember any posts on them.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Martianpc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
I think the vesuvio 90 is beautifully made. I love that it is available directly with gas as an option. Unfortunately, it's stupidly expensive.

Offline Maine18

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:07:51 PM »
+1 to this topic.  Hard to find any reviews/research on FB Vesuvio's in the wild, specifically.  Thanks!

Offline havanahead

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
I have also been cosidering a Forno Pimbo 42" and a Muganine Medio 100 ovens.  The Muganine offers several different styles
and configuration where Forno Pimbo offers only one style.  I am leaning towards the Forno Pimbo because its within a $1000
and is compleatly had built including the dome, not to mention a lifetime warranty. Every other maufacture offers a 5 year warranty
and there domes are all pre-casted.

Offline eyedubya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
This post is what I'm trying to understand as well (i.e., help me decide between oven X, Y, Z...), but it seems like there is very little feedback on any of the higher-end pizza ovens. No one admits to owning any of them, and everyone just replies "Bread stone" to every question related to other pizza ovens. What gives?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
At the price point you probably get a lot of buyers who don't generally frequent these boards. I love the look of the Piombo and would buy one except I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the price in my mind. The cost of the oven, shipping and install = $$$$$

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
Took the plunge!  Ordered a FB Vesuvio 100...due end of august 🤞. Ill post after i install it and have my inaugural pizza party

Offline jmiliz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
I have a Forno Nardona. BJ the owner is located in Florida. Construction seems similar to the ovens you have mentioned and I am very happy with mine and the owner is very easy to work with. Give him a call. From being on this forum the only thing that I would do different if I built my own is maybe use a Saputo Biscotto floor. Everyone says they are great however, most of the oven vendors use some sort of fire brick as the Saputo is significantly more expensive. I have never used an oven with Saputo floor though and have no problems cooking with my Forno Nardona oven.

Offline diMazara

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
I have a 42 Forno Piombo coming next week.  Ive been waiting a few months so Im pretty excited.  I chose FP because their service is unmatched.  Theyve actually flown to NY and Puerto Rico from Napa to repair ovens damaged by the owners or their installers and didnt charge for any part of their trips.  My post-sales experience has been tremendous.  Tony answers my emails within minutes and graciously answers my questions.  His legendary dad is amazing to talk to and just loves talking about pizza and ovens. 

During my research, I did determine that FPs design and construction are unique and of the absolute highest quality.  Their grout lines are very tight; probably 10% of the great Stefano Ferrara.

The down-side of FP is going to be price, though they do have models at lower price points. 

What I under-estimated is the cost of constructing the area around the oven.  That has also gotten to be pretty expensive.  I poured a 9x14 slab and stacked 75 concrete blocks 40 highwith a 4 slab on top.  That puts the floor at 48.  After the oven is placed, Ill tile the slab and stand, then surround the oven with stone counters.  I expect to be able to store 1/2 cord of wood under the stand. 

This is also not a modular oven.  Im having to hire a crane with an added boom to lift the 4,000lb oven over my two-story house and into my yard.  There are pros and cons to this, but it also adds to the cost.   

Ill share some pics as its delivered and as I complete the finish work. 

David

Offline Martianpc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
I recently had this same dilemma and ultimately went with a Marra Forni. I'm still waiting on venting, there was a mix up with the sizing but I should be able to cure it in a week or two. I went with Marra Forni because of the gas option and the amazing PID control it has. I will be able to schedule what time I want the oven to turn on, that way it's up to temperature whenever I want it to be. Let's say I want to make pizza Friday night, I can have the oven start warming up at 1 or 2 so it's hot when I get home from work. It can also be used as a wood oven.

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »
Very nice ODK.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »
Just received my FB Vesuvio 100 and i stalled it (almost) yesterday.  Need to install the flue and then party time :pizza: :pizza:  once up and running i will post how i like it

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
Nice, looking forward to see the pics...
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 09:09:26 AM »
Just an update on my FB Vesuvius.  Been baking loads of pies but unfortunately in my homemade gas/grill oven since the flue parts are still on backorder and those that have arrived were dented.  So as of now the oven is great....as a decorative statue for my patio.  Just one more piece and it will be ready to go!  Maybe by spring? 🤞

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »
So for anyone who is interested.....received the new flue parts and yes, they were dented.  New ship date was nov 19, but pushed back to the 30th.  And yes, pushed back again!  Spoke to the guy i am dealing with and he refunded me the money and said to keep what i have already so i cancelled my order, went to a car body shop, and had them pull the dents.  Wife is happywith the results!  So today, if the weatherman has not lied again, it should reach 50 degrees....perfect weather to do the install thru the roof.  Only thing is with the luck i have been having i think i best tie myself down to the roof...just in case!  Should be able to fire up my FB Vesuvio today so stay tuned

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
Got everything done.  Lit a fire last night to warm it up (550) and opened a nice pinot to celebrate.  Came out this morning and oven was still at 450+.  Fired up this evening and had our inaugural pizzas and man they were great!  Have a crowd coming tomorrow so i will see how it holds up to 12 pies.  Below are pictures of the first two.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
That baby will  bang out 12 pies in about  6 minutes !
Have fun !!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net