A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mobile Oven Build Help  (Read 630 times)

Offline PizzaManic

Mobile Oven Build Help
« on: September 28, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
Hi Pizza Lovers

Itís been a long time since Iíve wet my hand with some Pizza Dough but believe me the yearning never leaves you. Iíve been so pre-occupied with the lockdown that I donít know how time just went by.

Iíve had my eye on a Mobile Oven for a long time. Some names that come to mind are the Ooni, Ardore, Roccobox, etc and they all seem to have a similar design with their own twist and flare. The cost of these arenít too bad but once you add shipping all the way to South Africa, then the cost almost doubles. I looked around locally but couldnít really find anything that was backed by consumer reviews like the abovementioned ovens. I then decided maybe I could build my own but I have 0 experience with Steel so I put that idea to rest for a bit.

Recently I ran into an acquaintance and little did I know, he is a Structural Engineer. I ran the idea past him, and it sounded like childís play to his ears. Off course, Iíll need to gather information for him so he can get everything right. I just have a few questions regarding a mobile oven if anyone can help me answer.

1.   What should be the internal height of the dome?
2.   What material should I use on the internal dome (Stainless, Mild Steel, etc)
3.   What material should I use for the external of the dome (Aluminium, Stainless, Mild Steel)
4.   How large should the front opening of the oven be?
5.   I want the oven to be both Gas Powered and Wood Fired Ė what suggestions can you guys give me on the position of the Burners and interchanging for wood when need be (Back or Side of oven)?
6.   My biggest concern is thermal mass Ė how is this being achieved in the popular mobile ovens since the dome is steel only and the floor has your firebrick which brings along the thermal mass factor.

You can imagine the excitement to get this off the ground

Take Care
Mo
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:16:02 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Mobile Oven Build Help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
A few questions?!  Every question you have asked has been answered many times, so my best suggestion would be to learn to use the advanced search feature, and spend some time poking around.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 02:10:28 AM »
Hi

Thank you Tscarborough for replying. I went ahead and searched - I now have some idea on the way forward for the oven I plan to build.

I couldn't find much on insulation for a steel dome - lots of info is available on brick/refectory domes and recommended to go 2" Ceramic Fiber Blanket as the bare minimum as brick retains heat longer than steel.

I'm wondering if steel domes would need the same - I'm considering 3" thick ceramic fiber between the inner and outer dome and 3" underneath the floor however this makes the oven a tad bit bulky moving away from the whole compact/space saving model.

Would 1" ceramic fiber suffice for the dome and under the 1.5" brick floor?

Thanks
Regards Mo

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »
You can never go wrong with more insulation, and in fact, for a steel dome, I think it would require more because of the transmission through the steel would be higher and faster than through a masonry dome.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 02:22:40 AM »
Thanks - I will definitely take that into consideration.
Regards Mo

Offline Red Hooker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 08:27:25 PM »
For what its worth i would suggest more insulation. I have a steel domed oven I built myself. The steel is 3/8" thick. It has two layers of fire blanket and then a layer of GFR Stucco. the stucco will get warm to the touch after a hour or so of firing. For insulation sake it probably would have been better to have three layers of fire blanket. The floor is firebrick and those rest on two layers of k-fac 19 fiberboard.