A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Firebrick - Thickness & Recovery  (Read 573 times)

Offline PizzaManic

Firebrick - Thickness & Recovery
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
Hey Guys

I've purchased 25mm Firebrick for my soon-to-be Steel Pizza Oven (Just about getting started at the fabricators)
Now I have 2nd thoughts about the thickness.

My Brick Oven has 75mm firebrick and takes forever to heat up to 600f+ and after launching 1 pizza - it can take another 10 minutes before it gets back up to 600f+.
This is the reason I went for thinner brick on my Steel Oven but now I've been reading a bit about thickness and found that a thin firebrick does heat up fast however it doesn't retain that heat which means I'll be back at square one with waiting a good few minutes before the brick recovers to baking temperature.

I'm wondering whether a brick somewhere in-between - like 50mm thick would solve my problem.  Fortunately the supplier has agreed to swap the bricks out for me so there's no loss there.

What do you guys think - 25mm or 50mm Firebrick. I bake at most 15 pies consecutively for gettogethers.

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Firebrick - Thickness & Recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
I once had 64mm bricks in my wood oven.    With a proper preheat I could make 150 pizzas, covering almost the entire floor with 6-7 pizzas at all times in the oven going nonstop before I started to loose the floor.  There was only 1 inch of pearlcrete insulation under the floor.  Most ovens have much better floor insulation.  I think you should be fine going with the thinner option.   Its all about the preheat.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
Hey Scott

Wow! 150 pizza's - that's a lot. After how many Pizza's did you find the floor loosing temperature?

I'm wondering if anyone knows what's the temperature drop of a Brick once a Pizza is launched on it - it would be interesting to see that difference between the different thicknesses.

The 50mm brick is costing like 20% more which isn't a hole in my pocket - I'm thinking bite the bullet now and go for the 50mm.

I'm so confused right now on what to do - I don't know what trad-off there are with a thicker brick.

Help Help  :-\
Regards Mo

Offline jeeptek1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
I put firebrick splits over the exiting floor of my Thor SS oven and it help quite a bit to even out the floor temps. Without them the first pie would tend to scorch and the next one seem to take much longer to bake. I'm cooking at 800~f and they take about 90 seconds. I  dry stacked the extras I had on the sides and back to help hold some heat. I just have to take them down if I'm going to move the oven.   I'm sure bigger would be better but because of the shape of my oven it would have reduced the floor area so I went with splits. Great improvement for the small amount of money.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:25:18 PM »
Hey Scott

Wow! 150 pizza's - that's a lot. After how many Pizza's did you find the floor loosing temperature?

I wouldn't even START to loose the floor till 150 pizzas into the shift.   I will take an oven with a very thin floor that is properly preheated over a thicker floor any day.    I dont think most people realize how long it takes and how much wood it takes to properly saturate an oven.  The problem with going thick is it takes a lot more energy (wood/$$/time) to saturate.

Offline Taahir

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
Hey Guys

I've purchased 25mm Firebrick for my soon-to-be Steel Pizza Oven (Just about getting started at the fabricators)
Now I have 2nd thoughts about the thickness.

My Brick Oven has 75mm firebrick and takes forever to heat up to 600f+ and after launching 1 pizza - it can take another 10 minutes before it gets back up to 600f+.
This is the reason I went for thinner brick on my Steel Oven but now I've been reading a bit about thickness and found that a thin firebrick does heat up fast however it doesn't retain that heat which means I'll be back at square one with waiting a good few minutes before the brick recovers to baking temperature.

I'm wondering whether a brick somewhere in-between - like 50mm thick would solve my problem.  Fortunately the supplier has agreed to swap the bricks out for me so there's no loss there.

What do you guys think - 25mm or 50mm Firebrick. I bake at most 15 pies consecutively for gettogethers.

Thanks
Mo

I find the 25mm bricks we have here in SA are more than sufficient to balance a quick heat time and maintain temp. I have a stainless oven I bought from Oliver's Craft (they based in Durbanville), which is a stainless steel oven with 25mm brick floor. I then Macgyver'ed it work on gas as well, so I have the flexibility of using either Wood or Gas. I find that with a 20minute heat up time on Gas (or 45 mins with Wood), I am able to get the floor to around 420C, and keep that consistent for as long as needed (although with Gas its obviously a lot easier).

Contemplating getting something bigger though (still stainless steel, but lower dome, and bigger than my current, whilst still being able to work with Gas and/or Wood).