A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Which oven for 2 Neapolitan pies?  (Read 753 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Which oven for 2 Neapolitan pies?
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
I am currently using a BGE with a Pizza - Porta accessory to cook high heat pizza (2) at temps over 750 F. This works well however it takes a considerable amount of lump to attain and maintain such temps for approximately 1 hr. I have had a Pizza Party WFO in the past but since moving to a home in a community where creating smoke in a common back yard is not only discouraged but un-neighborly. I am sure that there are others here who have similar situations. What oven choices have you chosen? I am looking at propane fuel sources, but am hesitant due to loosing that wood lump flavor accent. I have  however recently read that the final product and taste of pizza cooked in a gas oven is not discernibly different from charcoal. Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Which oven for 2 Neapolitan pies?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
How much money are you willing to spend? I'm not sure there are any gas ovens capable of reaching Neapolitan temps and size for two simultaneous pizzas for under $1000, but the are several sized for one pizza.

The are several options for more $$. I went with a Fontana Forni.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 11:44:20 AM »
Jeff, I should clarify, I cook one pie at a time, and at these high heats with a bake time 0f 2-3 min, that is fine. I am only cooking for 2 people so an oven that reaches cooking temps within 30-40 min is fine. As far as how much I want to spend, a difficult question, I would say as little as possible for a quality product. The main thing I am interested in this post is the question of using Propane on the final outcome of my pies. I have seen several that claim they achieve temps of 800-900F.
Thanks for your reply.
Mark

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
I'm waiting for the Gozney Dome oven which will be wood, propane or natural gas.

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 02:59:00 PM »
Jeff, I should clarify, I cook one pie at a time, and at these high heats with a bake time 0f 2-3 min, that is fine. I am only cooking for 2 people so an oven that reaches cooking temps within 30-40 min is fine. As far as how much I want to spend, a difficult question, I would say as little as possible for a quality product. The main thing I am interested in this post is the question of using Propane on the final outcome of my pies. I have seen several that claim they achieve temps of 800-900F.
Thanks for your reply.
Mark

I think you're looking for a roccbox: https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
Jeff, thanks, I have started examination of that unit. Wonder if anyone here has used it?

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:38:25 PM »
You might consider the Ooni Koda as well.  I have the Koda 16, but if you are talking about smaller pies, you can get the smaller Koda for $350 or even $330.  Both get plenty hot enough for true NP temps (>900F).  If you Google "Roccbox vs Koda" you will find several video reviews to help you decide.

I have baked a couple hundred pizzas in my friend's commercial trailer WFO for brewery parking lot gigs, and eaten a couple dozen of them.  I can honestly say that I can't "taste the wood" in the pizzas.  You get tons of smoke as the fire gets going, but at working temperature the fire burns so efficiently that there is little to no smoke.  I think that pretty much all of the volatile hydrocarbons are broken down in the >1000F dome.     

I do love the romance and ritual of a real WFO.   But the one-click convenience of gas sure is nice - any night can be pizza night!.  I know I would have pizza not just less often, but hardly ever if I had to use wood or charcoal.  I probably would stay inside and use the steel in the oven most of the time. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »
Donstavely, thanks so.much for that in depth review. I am in Thornton, CO. Would be great to say HI, once Covid is under control.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:34:19 PM by mkevenson »

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:58:59 AM »
Jeff, thanks, I have started examination of that unit. Wonder if anyone here has used it?

A search here will find tons of roccbox discussion.