A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Outdoor Pizza oven hybrid Gas/Wood  (Read 894 times)

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Outdoor Pizza oven hybrid Gas/Wood
« on: January 19, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »
Dear all
Does anyone know a good brand for a combined gas/wood fired outdoor pizza oven? I think it would be very practical if you have gas for the week to get things going faster, and wood for weekends when you have a bit more time.
I donít mean an ooni, rather Sth bigger that you can include into an outdoor kitchen area. They usually are around 2000-4000 bucks or so.
Any advice would be appreciated

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Outdoor Pizza oven hybrid Gas/Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
i have a natural gas/wood pizza party for sale listed in the buy/sale section.

The gozney dome is supposed to be out  in a few months; it has optional propane burner with natural gas burner coming a few months later.

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 03:18:29 PM »
Zio Ciro 80 is also a good option for 2-3 simultaneous pizzas, but a slight bit out of your price range.
Red Pizza Party 70x70
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Bakers Mark Proofing Trays
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
Zio Ciro 80 is also a good option for 2-3 simultaneous pizzas, but a slight bit out of your price range.
Do you have one of these at home? Iíve seen a couple of different other models that are doing Gas with added wood option.
Also heard that the slightly bigger Ovens can hold the heat more evenly as compared to the small ones where it can get too hot quickly,
How much is the Zio Ciro, built quality etc? Iím still searching the market and am open to any suggestions. I donít mind spending more if thereís better quality (and guarantee). Iíve heard that some of the luxury oven models come with lifelong guarantee which is nice

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:55:26 AM »
i have a natural gas/wood pizza party for sale listed in the buy/sale section.

The gozney dome is supposed to be out  in a few months; it has optional propane burner with natural gas burner coming a few months later.
The gozney dome sounds intriguing

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 12:58:28 AM »
@Elchimi I don't have the Zio Ciro unfortunately :'( Just something that's been on my wishlist for a while. Once my living situation changes I'm hoping to get an 80 for home and carry around my pizza party for catering gigs.

I really like what I'm seeing with the Zio Ciro as it's a lighter masonry oven of mid-range size. That means it should retain heat better than the popular stainless steel types, but won't eat as much fuel to start up and maintain heat as full-size ovens. I'm also someone that moves living spaces every few years so the portability would be a big plus.

I do have a Pizza Party oven that I've upgraded with a homemade gas burner, but I find it less useful for things outside of pizza. Can do two pizzas at a time, cedar plank fish, veggies, and other small items, but for roasting it's mixed results for these smaller ovens. Have done whole roasts like turkey (bad), chicken (good), and Chinese duck (mostly good) but with the smaller space you can't regulate the roasting temperatures as easily since there's less ability to change the distance of the food from the fire. You need to stay and babysit the oven. The temperature also drops rapidly the longer the oven door stays open.
Red Pizza Party 70x70
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »
@Elchimi I don't have the Zio Ciro unfortunately :'( Just something that's been on my wishlist for a while. Once my living situation changes I'm hoping to get an 80 for home and carry around my pizza party for catering gigs.

I really like what I'm seeing with the Zio Ciro as it's a lighter masonry oven of mid-range size. That means it should retain heat better than the popular stainless steel types, but won't eat as much fuel to start up and maintain heat as full-size ovens. I'm also someone that moves living spaces every few years so the portability would be a big plus.

I do have a Pizza Party oven that I've upgraded with a homemade gas burner, but I find it less useful for things outside of pizza. Can do two pizzas at a time, cedar plank fish, veggies, and other small items, but for roasting it's mixed results for these smaller ovens. Have done whole roasts like turkey (bad), chicken (good), and Chinese duck (mostly good) but with the smaller space you can't regulate the roasting temperatures as easily since there's less ability to change the distance of the food from the fire. You need to stay and babysit the oven. The temperature also drops rapidly the longer the oven door stays open.
How would you compare Alfa vs ZioCiro? I was looking around and I was recommended a Alfa, but here it seems like thereís not a lot of enthusiasm for Alfa. Sounds like Pizza Party also better than Alfa....
Iím not sold using just gas or wood, find the hybrid option intriguing though

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 07:44:02 PM »
Different classes of ovens but I would choose Zio Ciro for the price. Nothing wrong with Alfas, but they are marketed as toys for wealthier suburban families to keep in their backyards. My guess is that their prices are too high of upfront costs for most hobbyists on here. Also Alfas home ovens don't seem to have wood/gas option.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:55:13 PM by Pandasbecats »
Red Pizza Party 70x70
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 09:31:37 PM »
Different classes of ovens but I would choose Zio Ciro for the price. Nothing wrong with Alfas, but they are marketed as toys for wealthier suburban families to keep in their backyards. My guess is that their prices are too high of upfront costs for most hobbyists on here. Also Alfas home ovens don't seem to have wood/gas option.
Yes Iíve realized that by now. Iím not sure if I can have the Zio in my backyard with all the weather etc, Iím worried that he may crack if I get supervised  by a shower or snow. I canít really put a roof over the oven either

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 11:09:08 PM »
Yes Iíve realized that by now. Iím not sure if I can have the Zio in my backyard with all the weather etc, Iím worried that he may crack if I get supervised  by a shower or snow. I canít really put a roof over the oven either

Was cracking from weather something talked about on a post? Haven't seen any myself yet. Looks pretty durable from everything I've seen.

You could always wait for the gozney dome like jeffshoaf said. Everyone's expecting it to be the clear lead in the $1-2k price range since Pizza Party has stopped shipping out of Europe. You could also modify a Maximus Prime or Arena with a homemade gas burner, which is discussed here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=63014.msg623028#msg623028
Red Pizza Party 70x70
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline smtdev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
Just to chime in on the Zio Ciro. I don't have one myself, but looking at a new WFO and that is on the shortlist.

I did see the following video about a popup operation that's using a couple Zio's. They are dragging them in and out of pickups and vans on a daily basis so they must be pretty durable.

Pizza Party 70x70
Edil Planet Surriento
Blackstone

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »
Just to chime in on the Zio Ciro. I don't have one myself, but looking at a new WFO and that is on the shortlist.

I did see the following video about a popup operation that's using a couple Zio's. They are dragging them in and out of pickups and vans on a daily basis so they must be pretty durable.

Wonderful video. Thanks for posing it.

wordpress