A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ceramic fiber board and water  (Read 234 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
Ceramic fiber board and water
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
Does ceramic fiber board maintain its properties with small amounts of moisture (rain)?  I am building an oven that might occasionally get wet and am trying to decide between ceramic fiber board or perlcrete for the insulation below the oven floor.  Thanks

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Ceramic fiber board and water
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:59:45 PM »
It is best to keep ceramic fiber board dry. If it gets a little wet, I think firing the oven will dry it out and everything will be ok, but I would avoid repeated wet/dry cycles and would not expose it to rain. I used a board on top of some perlcrete for my oven and had a system of tarps and a canopy to keep everything dry during construction.

You should probably keep the perlcrete as dry as possible too.

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:09:41 AM »
Hi Jon,
That was my plan with the ceramic board over perlcrete so we are on the same page.  Exposure to moisture would be minimal but wanted to make sure it would stay intact.
Thanks,
Pete

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:56 AM »
I'm not sure what you are planning for your stand. to keep things dry, I covered everything with a big tarp held down with bricks. Then I picked up a 10x10 pop up canopy from dick's. I used tapcon screws to attach the canopy legs to concrete blocks. Popped up the canopy provided some shade while I worked. Lowered, if added another layer of cover. A strong wind could pop up the canopy, so I used some tie down straps through another concrete block to keep it down. Worked pretty well with a combination of stuff I had and a $50 tent. By the end, the tent was pretty much destroyed. Got my $50 worth though.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T